Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

While an SR3 would be a blast to drive on most any track, you can encounter a wide difference in skill and awareness levels even in faster DE run groups. That would make me reluctant to run an SR3 (or similar sports racer) at a DE. Depending on the track, the closing speed differential on a slower car could be substantial, and once you're in a passing situation you may not even be in the mirrors of the car ahead. At the least that could be frustrating and spoil the experience. At the worst it just takes one person being inattentive for just a moment to be disastrous.

I would feel differently about racing one with other sports racers or formula cars. Just MHO.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:36 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been driving my SR3 in DE’s for over four years and it has been amazing fun! At the drivers meeting i (or someone driving a similar car) reminds the group to be aware that there are some low cars on track. I have found that most people are very respectful and enjoy watching you scream past them. Every once in a while there is a driver with a big ego that wants to make you force the pass. Like others have said it is important for you to be cautious when making a pass to ensure the other driver sees you, but that is a good practice for everyone in DEs due to the different driver skill levels.

Someone above stated that they thought a Radical wouldn’t be fun because they are too fast for DEs. This is definitely WRONG. These cars are insanely fun to drive at DEs. The only problem with them is they put a huge smile on your face.

These cars provide an amazing amount of fun but there are operating differences that need to be learned (like how do you jack up a car with 2” of ground clearance). If you have any other questions about Radical ownership you can PM me your contact information and I would be happy to share my experiences with you. I have helped quite a few people get into these cars.

Charley
Old 10-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new answer is always NP01...... There is one for sale that is basically new with tons of spares for $79k. Built by Elan. Super cheap maintenance, 91 octane, Change oil and sequential trans oil every 2 or 3 full weekends. That is all it requires. Way cheaper than running my Vintage 911. Faster than at GT4 Clubsports, 996 Cups at Laguna Seca, even with 997 Cups. This is with the Toyo RR spec tires which are not as sticky as their SLICKS.

Located it PA

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5AAE8E62

Last edited by Plavan; 10-24-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:03 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again guys for the thoughtful replies! I am a member of Atlanta Motorsports Park and also run Road Atlanta, Roebling and Barber at times. Just found out AMP is looking for interest in a SR1 racing series. They will have a car available for a test drive in a few weeks. As a true entry level car/driver for racing this does sound up my ally. If it pans out the 3RS will be sold and i look forward to recouping at least half the 3's value back + have a new race car with low maintenance costs. + I have a shop with lift at home, all tools so most of the nut/bolt maintenance i can do. Kinda excited about this!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

My only issue is visibility when radicals or the like come by and make short instant work of corners. They are so low to the ground it makes my gt3 jacked up like an suv with not so great visibility if behind your bumper. If u plan to run one just be a little aware/careful around street size cars in the corners.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
My only issue is visibility when radicals or the like come by and make short instant work of corners. They are so low to the ground it makes my gt3 jacked up like an suv with not so great visibility if behind your bumper. If u plan to run one just be a little aware/careful around street size cars in the corners.

Hence my NEON GREEN additions and headlights/flash to pass button on steering wheel.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Hence my NEON GREEN additions and headlights/flash to pass button on steering wheel.

I put a string of white LEDs on my roll hoop.

Last edited by Coochas; 10-24-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharleyH
I have been driving my SR3 in DE’s for over four years and it has been amazing fun! At the drivers meeting i (or someone driving a similar car) reminds the group to be aware that there are some low cars on track. I have found that most people are very respectful and enjoy watching you scream past them. Every once in a while there is a driver with a big ego that wants to make you force the pass. Like others have said it is important for you to be cautious when making a pass to ensure the other driver sees you, but that is a good practice for everyone in DEs due to the different driver skill levels.

Someone above stated that they thought a Radical wouldn’t be fun because they are too fast for DEs. This is definitely WRONG. These cars are insanely fun to drive at DEs. The only problem with them is they put a huge smile on your face.
My experience mirrors the above comments. 19 events in 16 months. I run primarily HOD D (open passing) and private track events with vetted drivers. Only 2 "interesting" moments and both easily avoided because I saw what was unfolding and avoided it.

Honestly, it's great fun watching and planning how you will execute each pass, and guess how/where car in front will facilitate a pass, or how to pick him off quickly with least danger if he is being a douche (not common). You'll learn to love passing off-line and into brake zones.

I've always been a defensive driver by nature with good situational awareness and I think those traits are critical for your enjoyment and survival in a sport racer at a track day.

Be aware- there is a huge continuum of repair frequency and cost, maintenance complexity and safety between different sport racers. Some you have to nut and bolt after every session (ugh). To a certain degree, you'll get what you pay for. The Wolf has proven bullet-proof. One set of front pads so far, an engine/trans lube change and that's it. Engine/gearbox will easily go 150 hours or more if you treat it with some mechanical sympathy. It doesn't break and stuff does not vibrate loose or fall off. And it'll hit momentary 3.5 g's if you are physically capable and skilled enough to take it there :-)

I drove a friends new GT3RS on track earlier this year and it felt like a big, numb, slow pig in comparison. I could never go back to a street car.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by hughp3
Thanks again guys for the thoughtful replies! I am a member of Atlanta Motorsports Park and also run Road Atlanta, Roebling and Barber at times. Just found out AMP is looking for interest in a SR1 racing series. They will have a car available for a test drive in a few weeks. As a true entry level car/driver for racing this does sound up my ally. If it pans out the 3RS will be sold and i look forward to recouping at least half the 3's value back + have a new race car with low maintenance costs. + I have a shop with lift at home, all tools so most of the nut/bolt maintenance i can do. Kinda excited about this!
Another point to consider is that most Radicals and Formula cars do not depreciate at the same rate as a street car; especially a street car that has been tracked.

If you buy a used race car at about half the cost of a new race car, you will probably get most if not all of your money back when you sell it a couple years later; presuming that you keep it in race condition. I personally have sold Formula Fords and parts for more than I paid because the market is strong. As time goes on, more frames disappear off the market (converted to other classes, wrecked beyond repair, or lost and neglected until rust consumes them), keeping the values on existing frames at a stable and reasonable level.

Another point is that unless you are at the pointy end of the field racing, there is no need or reason to wring every last rpm out of the engine. Drive it more conservatively, lower your max rpm by 500 or 600 rpm and your engine will last 50% to 100% longer. Some racers have reported getting 150 hours out of their engines by lowering their max rpm. Even at a lowered shift point, it will blow away anything else that you've ever driven and be the most fun that you can have with your clothes on. You don't need to push the engine to improve your race craft.

As stated by others, once you race or drive a purpose built race car, any Porsche street car will feel heavy and bloated and unresponsive.

Go for it!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! will post back in a few weeks after SR1 test. I am hoping I will like it... a lot. I am also looking forward to pushing a bit harder which I dare not do in the RS. For what its worth my best at Road Atlanta is a 1:35.4 in RS. I imagine the SR1, with my slowness in it, should do a 1:33 at least.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:08 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Thanks guys! will post back in a few weeks after SR1 test. I am hoping I will like it... a lot. I am also looking forward to pushing a bit harder which I dare not do in the RS. For what its worth my best at Road Atlanta is a 1:35.4 in RS. I imagine the SR1, with my slowness in it, should do a 1:33 at least.

For comparison, I tracked a C6 Corvette for many years before I got my SR3....on most tracks the SR3 is 12 to 15 seconds faster per lap. And I am not pushing the SR3 anywhere close to its limits. Driving a lightweight high downforce car with slicks is a whole new world... enjoy

Charley
Old 10-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

The Wolf has proven bullet-proof. One set of front pads so far, an engine/trans lube change and that's it. Engine/gearbox will easily go 150 hours or more if you treat it with some mechanical sympathy.

I drove a friends new GT3RS on track earlier this year and it felt like a big, numb, slow pig in comparison. I could never go back to a street car.
The Wolf sounds very interesting. I know it has a Honda motor and a FIA cage. What are your laptimes compared to the Radical/RS/ACR group.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think a SR3 would fare well against a 3700 lbs street car especially open cockpit. Maybe try a Elan NP01? Still light but at least it's not open cockpit.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritesh
The Wolf sounds very interesting. I know it has a Honda motor and a FIA cage. What are your laptimes compared to the Radical/RS/ACR group.
FIA rated and crashed tested carbon tub to be exact, not a cage per se. Carbon crash boxes front and rear. Padded removable collar just like an F1 car. SFI 45.1 crash-rated, fireproof, poured foam surround seat same as Indy cars use.

How crazy is it that the only Radical I ever see at TH never runs in open passing? So, no direct comparison there. I run with Viper ACR's and CUP cars all the time, it's never been much effort (so far) to catch and pass them. On a straight we're basically dead even, but of course everything changes at the brake zone. Apexing a fast sweeper in a sport racer you feel like Bowman in the 2001 star-gate sequence...lol.

Oh yeah, lap times, I'd suppose for example on a 2:00 track, the Wolf could run 1:40, Radical 1:45, CUP 1:50, ACR 1:53, GT3RS street tires 2:00? The Wolf has a lot of downforce from a tunnel underbody, somewhere around 2000 lbs at 130 mph, hence it's bit faster laps.

The challenge is, being in physical shape to extract those lap times. And building the driving skill set. It's a whole other game that very few drivers can teach you to drive a car well that has the capability to be 20-30 secs a lap faster than everything else.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I don't think a SR3 would fare well against a 3700 lbs street car especially open cockpit. Maybe try a Elan NP01? Still light but at least it's not open cockpit.
In a head to head match up mass will pretty much always win, so I agree with your comment. However...the sport racer will out-brake and out-handle that 3700 behemoth by a monumental margin. Unless something truly bizarre happens you *should* be able to escape a head to head match up. The only thing I ever worry about are fluid spills.

There are of course an infinite number of possible crack-up scenarios, some you'll avoid or fare far better in a sport racer. Some you won't. See the future to know what awaits you and you'll know exactly how it will end. Otherwise play as smart and defensively as possible and still have fun while living to a ripe old age. If luck is against you, nothing you can do regardless of what you are driving.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
FIA rated and crashed tested carbon tub to be exact, not a cage per se. Carbon crash boxes front and rear. Padded removable collar just like an F1 car. SFI 45.1 crash-rated, fireproof, poured foam surround seat same as Indy cars use.

How crazy is it that the only Radical I ever see at TH never runs in open passing? So, no direct comparison there. I run with Viper ACR's and CUP cars all the time, it's never been much effort (so far) to catch and pass them. On a straight we're basically dead even, but of course everything changes at the brake zone. Apexing a fast sweeper in a sport racer you feel like Bowman in the 2001 star-gate sequence...lol.

Oh yeah, lap times, I'd suppose for example on a 2:00 track, the Wolf could run 1:40, Radical 1:45, CUP 1:50, ACR 1:53, GT3RS street tires 2:00? The Wolf has a lot of downforce from a tunnel underbody, somewhere around 2000 lbs at 130 mph, hence it's bit faster laps.

The challenge is, being in physical shape to extract those lap times. And building the driving skill set. It's a whole other game that very few drivers can teach you to drive a car well that has the capability to be 20-30 secs a lap faster than everything else.

In a head to head match up mass will pretty much always win, so I agree with your comment. However...the sport racer will out-brake and out-handle that 3700 behemoth by a monumental margin. Unless something truly bizarre happens you *should* be able to escape a head to head match up. The only thing I ever worry about are fluid spills.

There are of course an infinite number of possible crack-up scenarios, some you'll avoid or fare far better in a sport racer. Some you won't. See the future to know what awaits you and you'll know exactly how it will end. Otherwise play as smart and defensively as possible and still have fun while living to a ripe old age. If luck is against you, nothing you can do regardless of what you are driving.
Car sounds fantastic, thanks for posting about it. I have to check one out.

Quick Reply: How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE