Spec Miata ot Boxter rental

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:53 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spec Miata ot Boxter rental

Hi,

I have a 16 GT3 that I took to the track at THill for the first time this spring. I had a great time, drove with instructors all the time even though I was upgraded 3 groups up.

I have so much to learn and am thinking about renting a momentum car for a few sessions. Is this a good idea? Would you have any pointers ?
I am in the SF Bay area, want to invest in some coaching, data logging and thought renting a momentum car could be a good learning tool.

Thanks,

Fabe
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best way to learn the basics of car control and develop your butt gyro. Either chassis as long as no abs
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you have a great idea. The miata is a great car for T hill. Great car period. You can buy one for around 10 grand so you will never be worried about having to buy it if for some reason yo destroy it. Hell ill even sell you one for 10 g. Im a little parinoid about blowing up a boxter motor. The miata has non interferance valves so overrev no big deal. I love T hill and got my PCA race liciense their with GGR great club. I race 145 hp 944 in the club race with mixed class racing. Im on track with all Porsche race cars. I love the 944. Momentum all the way. Excellant balance at the limit. I think better learn than boxter.
It about ego. Your thread start shows no ego great on you.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Most def start with a miata before you move up to a boxster...I did the opposite and wrecked the boxster...lessons learned!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

One of the interesting aspects of running a low horsepower momentum cars at a hpde event is getting comfortable co existing with the cars around you such as your 16 gt3. So your skill leval puts you in an advanced leval run grouo. I have noticed that it is easier to get to advanced leval with a gt3 even if your not that advanced. What happens if your running in those events with a lower hp car is with the limited passing areas you grt pissed off people. I just took my 944 race car to a de last week and with passing anywhere with s point by it was great.
one thing important that you dont learn much in de is watching your mirrors. With open passing and sitional awareness i had a great time running with the much faster cars and invited them to share any part of the track together wich is very important tolearn asap
Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Originally Posted by autosea
One of the interesting aspects of running a low horsepower momentum cars at a hpde event is getting comfortable co existing with the cars around you such as your 16 gt3. So your skill leval puts you in an advanced leval run grouo. I have noticed that it is easier to get to advanced leval with a gt3 even if your not that advanced. What happens if your running in those events with a lower hp car is with the limited passing areas you grt pissed off people. I just took my 944 race car to a de last week and with passing anywhere with s point by it was great.
one thing important that you dont learn much in de is watching your mirrors. With open passing and sitional awareness i had a great time running with the much faster cars and invited them to share any part of the track together wich is very important tolearn asap
I could not agree more.
One of the things I noticed is that I needed to have my instructor eyes as my second pair to help with peripheral vision. GT3 is very fast, put it on pdks auto and focus on your line, breaking point etc. But as a newbie, it is a bit overwhelming and I was so glad to be able to rely on my instructor for mirror (didn't really get passed much), passing, flags etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

As much as I like Porsche and Porsche Club it was NASA that I owe for the race licience. NorCal is where NASA started. Take a look at the model they use for their 4 levals of DE and see how that works with your goals and momentum rental car.

Last edited by autosea; 10-11-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Spec Boxster is easy to drive as well and if you're not used to driving a car with no ABS be careful with the Miata you may flat spot tires.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I drove a miata on track for the first time last month and had a blast. Previously, I had only driven one on a skid pad.

It is a fun car to drive and you learn a lot! Miata FTW!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:08 PM
FruitFly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spec E30 is also a great choice.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I used to practice new tracks with rental Miatas before I raced them but I found them a little small inside. I find that the Boxster and 944 have a lot more room inside, which I find safer. OTOH, Miatas are indestructible.

It is very rewarding learning experience driving a manual car on track without traction control and ABS while managing traffic. It helps me massively with my Cayman race car, especially in the wet.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It is very rewarding learning experience driving a manual car on track without traction control and ABS while managing traffic. It helps me massively with my Cayman race car, especially in the wet.
Yeah, it's a real ego trip for me in the wet with my non-S Cooper on streets, plus my left arm gets a rest ......then the track dries and order is restored

Gary
......hoping for rain at Mid-O Friday (nah, not really, but if it does )......
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

I have two 944 race cars and a Spec Miata. In the past years I have rented a garage at Thunderhill Let me know if I can offer up a solution for your goals.

Last edited by autosea; 10-12-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Originally Posted by autosea
I have two 944 race cars and a Spec Miata. In the past years I have rented a garage at Thunderhill Let me know if I can offer up a solution for your goals.
First,thanks to you all!
I am not sure if I want to buy a spec miata or boxter. Not opposed but garage is a problem, and the trailer etc ...As my post indicated , I was mainly looking at renting options. I have no doubt I would learn and have a lot of fun.
I thought about having the convenience of renting one for non PCA weekends and still take the GT3 for DE at PCA . Any pointers in the SF bay area ?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabe32
First,thanks to you all!
I am not sure if I want to buy a spec miata or boxter. Not opposed but garage is a problem, and the trailer etc ...As my post indicated , I was mainly looking at renting options. I have no doubt I would learn and have a lot of fun.
I thought about having the convenience of renting one for non PCA weekends and still take the GT3 for DE at PCA . Any pointers in the SF bay area ?
Just wanting to offer a comment. I have a Spec Miata and have driven a Spec Boxster. Either is a fine platform for learning. If you are thinking that you can rent one for a few weekends, you may be underestimating the time it takes to learn to drive either well. Investing that time will make you a much better driver. Owning one makes that easier. I see it as a bonus if you work on the car as well. Understanding how a car works also helps with driving.

Quick Reply: Spec Miata ot Boxter rental