Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singapore F1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

The kid had every right to be where he was... Vettel's the one that showed a lack of maturity and awareness. If Seb had gotten onto the racing line instead of the banzai squeeze, at least the three of them would have had a chance.

As far as Verstappen being some kind of reckless maniac:
Maybe last year he was. Can't pin all the DNF's on the kid when the RB has been about as reliable as a million mile Yugo GV.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
The kid had every right to be where he was... Vettel's the one that showed a lack of maturity and awareness. If Seb had gotten onto the racing line instead of the banzai squeeze, at least the three of them would have had a chance.

As far as Verstappen being some kind of reckless maniac:
Maybe last year he was. Can't pin all the DNF's on the kid when the RB has been about as reliable as a million mile Yugo GV.
The difference between Maldonado and Verstappen is that Verstappen sometimes only crashes out himself. The more I see him, the more I'm convinced he's in it for a win or crash and nothing in between.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/2017...ights-reaction

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddogz28
The kid had every right to be where he was......
Can't pin all the DNF's on the kid when the RB has been about as reliable as a million mile Yugo GV.

Originally Posted by CFGT3
The difference between Maldonado and Verstappen is that Verstappen sometimes only crashes out himself. The more I see him, the more I'm convinced he's in it for a win or crash and nothing in between.
All the champs crashed on their own at some point in their careers.
Mario Andretti once said that if you don't crash occasionally, then you aren't going fast enough.
Max proved his skills in the previous wet races. That is why Vettel is scared. Vettel knew that Max is faster in the wet than he, that is why he blocked Max.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:43 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
All the champs crashed on their own at some point in their careers.
Mario Andretti once said that if you don't crash occasionally, then you aren't going fast enough.
Max proved his skills in the previous wet races. That is why Vettel is scared. Vettel knew that Max is faster in the wet than he, that is why he blocked Max.
Mario has never said that. In fact he is a believer in the opposite. He admonished drivers that thought they had to crash to test the limits.

You make me laugh. Four-time world champion afraid of a driver who's only won one race? You have to be kidding. Max is good in the wet, but don't forget Vettel is very good also. He won his first race in the wet in a vastly inferior car, in a straight fight with everyone else.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Mario has never said that. In fact he is a believer in the opposite. He admonished drivers that thought they had to crash to test the limits.
Google this Mario quote:

If you don't come walking back to the pits every once in a while holding a steering wheel in your hands, you're not trying hard enough
At least the first part of your screen name is accurate....
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Doesn't sound like Mario wants anyone to play it safe:

If you're so afraid of failure, you will never succeed. You have to take chances.
In case you think that Mario is not talking about racing in the previous quote:

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I really wanted it to be VER's fault, and thought it was at first. But having watched the incident over and over, I've concluded that F1 got it right. Kimi got a great launch. He had every right to be where he was. Max held his line. I'd blame VET if I thought he knew where Kimi was, but I don't think there was any way he could have. His move was aggressive, but totally in bounds. Pity it happened.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
My boy Vettel did the Schumacher chop on Max, but unfortunately didn't see Kimi making a demon start down the inside. That mistake may have caused him the championship. The only chance is if Hamster pays back the gift with a DNF of his own. That was really bad for Ferrari too - 0 points to almost max points for Mercedes.
+1
Old 09-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I've watched it over and over. I can't fault Max, he had nowhere to go. It's very difficult to place fault with anyone, but if pressed I would have to put it on Seb. But I still think Max did not act improperly given what he had to work with.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...h%3fsource=dam
Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I'm not saying it's VER fault, but I can't blame Vettel for moving to cover the inside either. He was ahead, made 1 move, all legal. Guaranteed, if in the same position, any one of us would have done the same. As the FIA said, "Racing Incident".... it's over
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Problems will arise for Verstappen when he is actually fighting for a championship. Lack of mutual respect for other drivers (world champions at that) will hurt him. I am willing to bet on that. You also don’t want to make enemies this early....we already know that as long as Vettel is competitive at Ferrari, Verstappen is unlikely to be driving in red. You sometimes got to be smart in life...look at Alonso. I actually think that Max’s biggest problem is his dad!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Problems will arise for Verstappen when he is actually fighting for a championship. Lack of mutual respect for other drivers (world champions at that) will hurt him. I am willing to bet on that. You also don’t want to make enemies this early....we already know that as long as Vettel is competitive at Ferrari, Verstappen is unlikely to be driving in red. You sometimes got to be smart in life...look at Alonso. I actually think that Max’s biggest problem is his dad!
Interesting comments.

Max is what almost 20 years old? It shows. Hamy has acted like a total Dick In the past, Seb has acted like a Dick, Alonso has acted like a Dick, in fact just about every WDC has acted like a Dick in the last 20 years, Except Button. Hamy and Seb have a certain amount of respect. It comes with age and a spell of bad luck.

But Max is cruising for an *** kicking by Kimi. And every move Max makes increases that happening. Kimi would kick Joss' *** no problem.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

He may be the boy that cried wolf at this point, but I see him (MV) getting squeezed by the Ferraris- mainly Vettel (who sounded sheepish to me when interviewed after the incident). The only person who could had track space and could have yielded was Vettel.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Was almost a 'racing incident'. If SV had have been able to see how fast KR started he may have chosen not to move quite so much across to the left. LH was extremely lucky to somehow come through that incident unscathed and also possibly lucky that DR had major gearbox oil pressure problems and had to short shift through much of the race. Not saying he would have beaten LH but it would have been much closer.

Quick Reply: Singapore F1