Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Maybe

Every lap counts!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:37 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I have repeatedly emailed and discussed with Walt about weight for my 2006 997.. Why can someone put a latest generation 3.8/X51 DFI engine into a Cayman and weigh the same as I do with my MY96 (pre-DFI) engine?
The difference in output is not minor. They had me weighing MORE than the progressed Cayman GTB3 last year and changed to match it at Sebring, but it makes no sense for me to still carry the same weight with my 2002 era engine against the latest DFI.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Guess nobody proposed any changes.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I have repeatedly emailed and discussed with Walt about weight for my 2006 997.. Why can someone put a latest generation 3.8/X51 DFI engine into a Cayman and weigh the same as I do with my MY96 (pre-DFI) engine?
The difference in output is not minor. They had me weighing MORE than the progressed Cayman GTB3 last year and changed to match it at Sebring, but it makes no sense for me to still carry the same weight with my 2002 era engine against the latest DFI.
If you want a rule change, you need to actually write up a proposal and email during the comment period.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:41 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I did.. Have been for several years

Originally Posted by 38D
If you want a rule change, you need to actually write up a proposal and email during the comment period.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

Fresh off the press:

The following changes to the Club Race rules are provisionally approved for 2018. Comments noting ambiguities in the announcement, typographical or other errors in specifications, and problems with changes which may have been overlooked may be addressed to the Rules Committee at crrules@pca.org until November 1, 2017.

PROVISIONALLY ADOPTED

SAFETY
1) Any car which came from Porsche with an air oil separator may replace it with any Porsche air oil separator. Note - this applies to all cars in all classes, and includes the Porsche Motorsport AOS, the Porsche Cup AOS, or any other Porsche AOS which the car owner believes will function better than what came stock on the car.
2) Unless otherwise restricted by class rules, cable shift cars may use any substitute cable and cable end. Note - This specifically allows modifying cable ends so they can't pop off while on the track, as well as use of aftermarket cables. It does not allow any kind of modification to the shifting action.
3) Drones are not allowed at Club Races. Note - many tracks ban drones already, but they are not allowed even at tracks which don't ban them.

STOCK
1974-1989 911s and 930s may remove the rocker panel skirting and its rubber strip. Note - this is the bolt/screw on separate metal piece running under the door.

GTB
The 987.1 and 987.2 Cayman may add front fender flares. Front fenders with flares may not exceed the width of the corresponding installed 997 Cup Car parts as allowed in Section A above. Flares must be a Porsche or high quality aftermarket part and have an installed professional appearance.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:
The following rules changes are effective immediately:

STOCK
In the 915 transmission, any 5th gear which is taller than the stock for the model 5th gear may be used. This particularly affects SCs running in E as Euro SCs. The Euro SC transmission has a shorter 2d gear (which must be used, and is readily available since it was used in the 2.7 and 78-9 SCs), but a taller than US spec 5th. This 5th gear is not readily available, so substituting an even taller 5th, such as the 3.2 915 5th, won't give anyone a competitive advantage. If, for some unfathomable reason, a 915 in any other class is discovered to have a 5th gear which is too tall, that will also be excused.

SPB
Any of the Porsche flashes, including European or other country flashes, for any SPB eligible model may be used. In terms of performance, all the factory flashes are equal. The differences relate to emissions or other matters, and the European flashes throw fewer codes because they had fewer emission control devices. Fewer codes makes using the OBD system less cumbersome.

SPC
1) The ceramic brake option which was available on this model is not allowed.
2) If the allowed aftermarket pistons or rods are used, the invoice or invoices from the approved supplier must be stapled into the car's log book for verification purposes.
3) SPC drivers are notified that there may be a change to the spec tire, although this has yet to be determined.

PROPOSALS NOT ADOPTED

The points standing of the 2.7 Boxster in E does not support allowing a weight reduction for that model.

Reducing the weight of the 996 Turbo, which has yet to be raced as far as can be determined, is premature.

The GTC5 Cup Cars have timed out of the professional series which allowed alternative shocks, and the original Carrera Cup Germany shocks are available. This is a spec class, and modified Cup cars can always run in GTA.

Use of the 981 engine in a 987 chassis does not meet the update/backdate rules, and not enough information was received to allow the 981/987.2 engine backdate as a specific exception despite the many similarities between the two engine models.

There was not enough racer response to encourage moving the GTB2 981 Cayman from GTB2 (thus eliminating that class, which to date has seen only three cars enter a race, and very few of them) with a weight increase to 3050 pounds (plus 100 more pounds if with a PDK).

A second, rear facing, camera will not be required. Racers should note that the rules already highly recommend adding this second camera, and decisions concerning car to car contact have been resolved based on rear camera video.

A rain light will not be required. Under contemplation for running under certain rain conditions are working head and tail lights, or hazard lights, as a car with only its brake lights to advertise its presence in heavy rains and rooster tails can be a problem.

OTHER

Rules for a Spec 997 (SP997) class will be announced shortly.

Revised rules for GTB which eliminate ambiguities and variances between wording and practice between what is restricted in GTB, and what is restricted only by the GT rules, will be announced shortly. For example, a literal reading of the current GTB rules would allow only the stock sway bars to be used. This was never the intent for the Caymans in the series, and of course the rules have not been enforced in that way, nor has it occurred to any racer that he couldn't use aftermarket or other sway bars.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
One of the rule changes I am going to submit is that I think bonus points should be earned for every car that starts a race in your class, not that finishes the race.
Yep

I would add that the bonus points system needs be looked at as well. The current system gives the advantage to certain regions. Heck, there is one region that even if you finish 20th you can come out of every race weekend with 25 points. My suggestion would be limit bonus points to 5.

And take those on a 13 off the current standings. We make decisions that cost time and money if we are chasing points based on the standings. If there is someone ineligible that is ahead of us or maybe within striking distance we should know that information.

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing - Proposed Rule Changes for 2018