Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Flag Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MK, I respectfully disagree with the following Those cornerworkers have no idea of the battle that is going on. Having a huge amount of corner working experience (I guess if you can call 3+ years huge) and being an avid motorsports fan I can clearly tell when one car is faster than another or is holding up the pace. You will often see this of the 911 vs 944 cars. Faster 911s will overtake on the long straight (TMS) but get passed by the faster (in the corners) 951s. They go back and forth like this forever :>) I can say without doubt that by lap 3 I know who is fast and who is holding up traffic. It is also VERY easy to pick out the cars that are wildly faster than the pack. The blue flag (however you define it) is very useful in letting drivers in lower classes know that they are going to be in the way shortly. I like to call it the "there is a race going on and you are not part of it" flag. I rarely show it to the experienced drivers (they usually know the situation), and never to two cars battling for position (unless one is clearly blocking). My reasoning is that the two cars going at it with each other already know they are going at it! There is a chance if they are two much slower (say stock 914s) cars they BOTH might be given the flag for, say, the leaders.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by clubrcr
If someone is blocking, I would hope that corner workers would recognize this and have him black flagged.
BINGO!

There is a way to deal with incorrigible blockers. Black flag. A blue flag should only be informational.

In my last race I was driving a Sentra SE-R in SCCA ITS class. The car was a handful and had oversteer a drifter would be proud of (and in a FWD car no less!). A Cobra replica from another class spun and I drove around him. When he caught up with me I got a blue flag. At the time I thought it was pretty funny because the driver of the Cobra not very good. If my Sentra was handling properly I honestly don't think he would have gotten by me. Seriously. I expected him to blow past me on the long TWS front straight and he couldn't even get by there he was so bad off the corners. He finally pulled out on the back straight and I let him go because the car was handling so poorly I didn't want snap oversteer to collect us both. I pointed him by. Had the car been handling properly, I would have made him earn it.

It just goes to show that things aren't always as they seem.

Quick Reply: Blue Flag Etiquette