Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of Club Race Awards - My Flame Suit Is On!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lack of Club Race Awards - My Flame Suit Is On!

I was discussing this topic with a few racers this weekend and figured I would bring the topic back up (I know it has been discussed in the past), but more so to make an attempt to bring upon change (rather than just kick, cry and scream...I can do that too, but know it rarely works).

I know PCA National believes or has in the past had the belief that if you give out trophies or awards that people would race harder, or more aggressively. Without arguing whether or not this is true (I do not believe people hold anything back or add any extra racing effort because of a trophy), I would like to propose a reason to give trophies and awards.

Most of us club race for nothing more than memories. There is no purse at the end, no ever-lasting publication (except Rennpoints, which we all love), no media or tv coverage, nothing to bring us back to those weekends where we spent thousands (some 10s of thousands) of dollars simply pursuing a passion with friends. The trophies and awards give us the ability to 10, 15, 20 years from now look at the award and say "ya I remember that weekend, it was a blast racing wheel to wheel with so and so."

I have competed in a lot of martial arts events where my medals although not something I look through daily, from time to time give me the ability to think back to my efforts on a weekend, my time spent with friends and quite simply appreciate the memories.

I am not saying have a champagne spraying affair like most series (although I think going even that far is a good idea because it brings quite a bit of joy and exposure to the club), I am saying at the very least start giving away trophies, awards, and scrap the idea of giving us a sticker that is usually bent by the time you walk back to the trailer to put it on your car's rear window (which when the car is sold gets sent away with the car).

For what it's worth not a single one of us is going to race harder, wad up our cars, or race dirty just for the sake of a trophy. Those who would do that, will do it just to get a sticker either way. I am simply proposing letting us club racers who spend a lot of time, effort, and money on a passion to have something that will allow us to remember these weekends for a long time to come.

My flame suit is on, ready to get torched, but stand firmly as I catch fire!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:52 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-07-2017, 01:53 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a low attendence event this we, im glad they gave us this, its great memory.

i agree with Mo, some trophies, pictures on podium, i think it would be fun

even cheap champagne would be nice!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 987part
That's really nice! Did the region do this? It makes for a really awesome award!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I went to MoSport a couple of years ago and also got a plaque like the one pictured above. The Region paid a photographer to take pictures and, if I recall, they had the trophy place scribe the finish place(s) on the plaques between in the end of the sprints and the Saturday evening dinner - so rushed to say the least. It really is a very nice gesture by the Region.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every event...
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

GUMS they are talking Trophies here.....where are you boy?

Sorry Frank I just couldn't resist.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Back in the day I did Autosprints, Hillclimbs, and SCCA racing. All awarded trophies. I raced just as hard to pass the guy in front for 7th place as I did for 2nd place. I ended up throwing most of the trophies away just saving the most meaningful like the first hillclimb trophy and my Second place finish in the "Closed Wheel" class of my first SCCA drivers school at Marlboro (The track that looks like a cartoon on the wall at Summit Point).
Old 08-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

I would stuff my SPB and two others into the Armco for that plaque!

The awards are fun momentos. Pretty sure it won't change on track behaviors. Plenty of self motivation with out them.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm pretty sure I can see the cigarette in Seb's mouth. Export A green?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
I am not saying have a champagne spraying affair like most series (although I think going even that far is a good idea because it brings quite a bit of joy and exposure to the club),
even cheap champagne would be nice!!!
Please consider those having or are undergoing a 12 step program. Pressurized milk would suffice.

Last edited by ExMB; 08-07-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I would stuff my SPB and two others into the Armco for that plaque!

The awards are fun momentos. Pretty sure it won't change on track behaviors. Plenty of self motivation with out them.
Pretty sure they'd have to rewrite the rules for that.... LOL

The only trophies I kept were the ones that meant the most for what happened on track -- 2 specifically, one where I had beat a 3 time NASA national champion and eventual pro racer in the rain and the other a two car team for an enduro where my partner and I beat cup cars for the overall win. The NASA trophy is probably a $7 trophy, but every time I look at it, it means something. Now, personally, I'd vote for grid girls!
Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Fancy awards are only for Clubsport drivers.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:43 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD

I know PCA National believes or has in the past had the belief that if you give out trophies or awards that people would race harder, or more aggressively. Without arguing whether or not this is true (I do not believe people hold anything back or add any extra racing effort because of a trophy)......
I think this has proven to be true 1000x over. Add a tire contingency to your club; see what happens.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff
I think this has proven to be true 1000x over. Add a tire contingency to your club; see what happens.
We have tire contingencies and a championship points program.

Quick Reply: Lack of Club Race Awards - My Flame Suit Is On!