Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee bar question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003 | 12:41 AM
racer63
Racer

Default Knee bar question

I just had a welded cage installed (replacing a bolt in) and opted for a knee bar (to be legal for T2/SCCA). After picking the car up I am not sure that there is adequate distance between my knees and the knee bar. When I am actually driving, my knees and legs go just under the knee bar. But, if I have my legs pulled inward a bit, like you might if you were careening head on toward a heavy impact, my knees seem awfully close to the knee bar.

Does anyone have any idea how far you want the knee bar to be from your knees? My concern is that if the cage were pushed inward slightly, or if the belts were to stretch in an impact, could my knees might contact the knee bar?

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-24-2003 | 10:34 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Sigh; I just went through this- very nice cage built by Dave White Racing (Scooter Gamble actually) but the previous owner was not as tall as I am. All summer long I'd finish a race with big bruises on my shins. Finally prior to the Summit Point race I used a dremel to cut the welds and just removed it. This summer I'll have someone relocate it higher. It just can't be safe down against your shins/knees like that.
Brandon

Quick Reply: Knee bar question