The Mixed Class Circus advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Mixed Class Circus advice

After the "Whose Fault" thread it is apparent that this thread is needed.

I have limited advice gleaned from driving in an area full of Illegal Alien drivers.

1. Regardless of how fast you are keep your head on a swivel.
2. Never assume you are seen by the other guy.
3. Without fail do not drive like a Dick.

That is all

Edit: not driving like a Dick does not mean you can't drive like an insufferable *****.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say check your ego and develop your situational awareness, but that should be obvious.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd say you are right in many ways. Be aware. Be observant. Don't assume - especially with cars you don't know (and even then allow for the occasional brain fart). In general don't be a dick.

The part I'd like you to also take away is the incredible fun inherent in mixed class racing. I love it.

Working with slower traffic - perhaps taking advantage of it. Racecraft chess. . Dealing with faster cars. You can use them to your advantage once in a while.

I think this is the fun part of PCA racing. And want to see mixed class racing?? I did a overnight PBOC race at Sebring that had a mix of Miata's to 991 Cups and various Radicals. I was in the middle. Now that was fun!!

As for faster cars. It is not required, but it is both polite and safer for all when you signal cars closing at much higher speeds that "Yes, I see you. Go ahead".

And you will find a wave of appreciation in return. I give and get those.

Originally Posted by FGL28
After the "Whose Fault" thread it is apparent that this thread is needed.

I have limited advice gleaned from driving in an area full of Illegal Alien drivers.

1. Regardless of how fast you are keep your head on a swivel.
2. Never assume you are seen by the other guy.
3. Without fail do not drive like a Dick.

That is all

Edit: not driving like a Dick does not mean you can't drive like an insufferable *****.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

^^^^ Good advice!

Always keep in mind that the one with the AVERAGE fastest lap time wins, so pass when you are not slowing yourself and the other car down and let passing traffic overtake you where they don't slow you or themselves down.

Signal your intentions to those around you with hand signals and car placement. Always clearly present yourself before passing but still assume that the car ahead does not see you so leave yourself an "out".
Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
^^^^ Good advice!

Always keep in mind that the one with the AVERAGE fastest lap time wins, so pass when you are not slowing yourself and the other car down and let passing traffic overtake you where they don't slow you or themselves down.

Signal your intentions to those around you with hand signals and car placement. Always clearly present yourself before passing but still assume that the car ahead does not see you so leave yourself an "out".
The OP's advice and ^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-04-2017, 12:31 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks,

A couple of things:

In watching Le Mans one always sees, whether "gentlemen racers" or Red Mist pros causing, in hindsight, preventable accidents.
As for he Illegal Aliens comments, I live in SoCal and even though the driving skills has improved you still have to drive uber defensively. A good way to train for avoiding getting crashed into.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am looking at signing up for the GGR PCA Club Race Sept 2-3 .
Talk about mixed class racing. It looks like I will travel from Washington State to Nor Cal for this event with my 944. At this time with one month to go 19 cars . I just love GGR PCA and Thunderhill. I have been racing with this group since I got my license 4 years ago. I can count the number of cars that i have passed during this time. Maybe 4 total.

I will say that I getting pretty good at getting passed. With the closing speed of a 991 cup and the 944 on the fast course of T hill, especially after watching video it is much safer for the cup closing the gap from behind to make a judgement when the overlap will occur and plan ahead for the pass. So unless I really go off line and roll out the red carpet I hold my line and don't do anything dumb.

It is important not to get all worried at the sight of a full on race management run cup program at your mixed class Club Race when you are pitted next to them in your 944 up on jack stands with girlfriend wrenching on car
I was at Thunderhill and it was raining which I thought was unuasual for California. There was this 991 cup down the paddock from my 944 with the full team of support. My first thought was oh ****. Well on the warm up they ran 2 laps under yellow . He went off and buried it in the mud under yellow . Next up qualifying off he went again in the mud third lap. I went down to his camp to give him an at a boy and to cheer him on. Race started and about the second lap I was coming up on him in a corner. He was just getting going after a good spin. He got the hang of it and about 12 minutes later I could see a clump of mud approaching from behind. He passed me and I was happy to see him getting the hang of it. I waved
The quicker you can figure out whos around you the better for everyone.

Last edited by autosea; 08-04-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: r
Old 08-04-2017, 03:56 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 391 Likes on 163 Posts

We learned and expensive lesson on this subject, do not pass another class car at 10/10 pace in a "risky" corner.

It was an expensive lesson to learn but luckily did not take anyone out in the process.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: The Mixed Class Circus advice