Sponsored by:

Smarty Cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Smarty Cam questions

I currently run a Harry's laptimer through my phone which i have in my glovebox just to get GPS lap times. I am looking to get a video recording setup with GPS data only. I am confused about which setup to get if i just want video recording with GPS data (speed, lap time, G's). Can i get a completely wireless setup (no wires connected to my ECU)? If so, what is recommended? I would like to get a view of the driver for the camera angle. Would a suction cup mount work attached to the rear windshield (I don't have a harness or roll cage to attach to)? I am worried about the camera coming loose during driving on track (especially during threshold braking).

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You would need a camera and gps antenna. Power through a cigarette plug would be optional. The suction mounts work well, but they do fail when over a defroster grid.

Do you care about HD? If not, the original camera is a great option for data and video without lots of connections. Their is one for sale here at a great price.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:06 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You would need a camera and gps antenna. Power through a cigarette plug would be optional. The suction mounts work well, but they do fail when over a defroster grid.

Do you care about HD? If not, the original camera is a great option for data and video without lots of connections. Their is one for sale here at a great price.
Thanks for the info. Yes i would like HD. So there are no completely wireless options available? Also are there any other mounting options besides suction cup?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Yes, if you have a harness bar or roll bar, I sell a neat small metal V-mount for the HD camera, as well as the camera, antenna and accessories. Let me know if I can help!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
Thanks for the info. Yes i would like HD. So there are no completely wireless options available? Also are there any other mounting options besides suction cup?

Thanks!
Nothing wireless. The SCHD would always need at least an antenna. You could run it on battery power though. You could also make a little add I mount for the gps to sit with the camera, so it could be compact.

As Peter said, the standard mount for the SCHD is a v shaped roll bar mount that uses a hose clamp with a protective sheath. I think all dealers stock those(or at least should).
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

I don't have a harness bar/roll bar to mount the camera too. So it seems my only option is the suction cup mount. How is the Waylens camera? Should i consider that an alternative to the Smarty Cam?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

The Waylens is an all in one solution that upon playback, adds the information over the video. It's MUCH smaller than the SCHD and pretty easy to use. The quality of video is a lot higher, but the vibration could be an issue. They recommend it be connected to power while being used in the car. I have two but have not used them in the field yet.

You might consider a Garmin ViRB.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:33 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The Waylens is an all in one solution that upon playback, adds the information over the video. It's MUCH smaller than the SCHD and pretty easy to use. The quality of video is a lot higher, but the vibration could be an issue. They recommend it be connected to power while being used in the car. I have two but have not used them in the field yet.

You might consider a Garmin ViRB.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my main concern at this point is the mounting of the camera. I'm not sure i'm completely comfortable with mounting a camera on a suction cup mount on the rear windshield. I can''t think of any other mounting options within a harness bar.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

just use your iphone...
Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Roadhawk HD suction cup mounted to my windshield with a couple zip ties anchoring it to the rear view in case it came loose. It never did, a good suction cup mount shouldn't give you any issues.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmith
...Would a suction cup mount work attached to the rear windshield (I don't have a harness or roll cage to attach to)? I am worried about the camera coming loose during driving on track (especially during threshold braking).
Sure, suction cup would work fine on the back window as long as there is not too much curvature. I have a Cayman so you can't do exactly same as I did, but I ordered a clear acrylic disk from amazon and used double-sided tape to create a nice, flat mount in between my seats. Maybe a similar idea could work for the 911. I also use a ram mount suction cup on the front window (for iPhone) and that has not been a problem. I have a harness bar now, but do not yet have a mount for it.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam questions