Sponsored by:

CGT CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:10 PM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts
Default CGT CEL

Drove my CGT 300 miles this weekend on an out and back trip to visit parents. CEL went on when I parked it last night after driving in 100+ ambient temps. Car is not missing at idle, and revs/runs perfectly well. Did this once before and by the time I got it to dealer, code had cleared or was nondiagnostic. They cleared the CEL, it passed state inspection and I was on my way. I think this is the same thing again. I'm thinking of changing out the coil packs as they may have some small cracks etc over the 12 year life of the car. Anyone experience this before?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

If the coil packs are original they are cracked for sure. Good chance they can be causing your CEL too. The coil packs for the CGT have been updated many times throughout the last 12 years. Be sure to get the most recent part number availible
Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Also keep in mind that there are thousands DTCs that can trip your CEL and unless you're a wizard and can guess what it is,you might want to have it read before " throwing coils at it ".
Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll have the dealer check for codes. Could be O2 sensor, evap system...
Prob do the coil packs anyway. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Also keep in mind that there are thousands DTCs that can trip your CEL and unless you're a wizard and can guess what it is,you might want to have it read before " throwing coils at it ".
Jimmy is the wizard for CGT's.......................
Old 08-08-2016, 11:47 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cgt04115
So you are willing to change the coils without reading the fault codes? The OP's car is not misfiring,so there's a very good chance his CEL is not related to the coils. I do understand these coils are prone to cracking so it's a good idea to change them " while in there "...
Old 08-08-2016, 11:51 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

No one said not to read the codes. I dont think a tech would touch a car of this caliber without doing so. Either that or your in the wrong shop!

You said you would have to be a wizard to know without reading, so I pointed to the fact that Jimmy is a tech whos done prob 20 majors by this point and is in fact a CGT wizard. Coils are a good bet I would think regardless.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

No one said not to read the codes. I dont think a tech would touch a car of this caliber without doing so. Either that or your in the wrong shop! You said you would have to be a wizard to know without reading, so I pointed to the fact that Jimmy is a tech whos done prob 20 majors by this point and is in fact a CGT wizard. Coils are a good bet I would think regardless.
I certainly have no reason to dispute Mr Repasi's capabilities and knowledge. My " preaching " is aimed strictly at the necessity of proper diagnostic,so that parts don't get changed without a reason at the owner's expense...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:43 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Richard! Just finished number 22!

I understood what Neanicu meant by his post. I think we were both offering similar advice. I was just sharing some advice as OP mentioned the fault was no longer stored by the time he made it to his dealer

ByeEnzo, always happy to hear about someone putting their v10 to work! Let us know if you are able to read any faults this time

Quick Reply: CGT CEL