F40 vs CGT question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The only downside of CGT driving is the parts cost- shocks need to get rebuilt or replaced eventually and eventually someone will need a clutch or some brake pads or something.

Driving one, to me the only car that compares is the mclaren F1- very solid build quality, incredible noise etc. The CGT is modern enough to not feel old and minimalist enough to be timeless.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The CGT is modern enough to not feel old and minimalist enough to be timeless.
Amen!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The only downside of CGT driving is the parts cost- shocks need to get rebuilt or replaced eventually and eventually someone will need a clutch or some brake pads or something.

Driving one, to me the only car that compares is the mclaren F1- very solid build quality, incredible noise etc. The CGT is modern enough to not feel old and minimalist enough to be timeless.
I hope to join the CGT club soon. If u r an analogue Porsche nut, it's the ultimate.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

all neats cars. dealers choice.

those kind of cars , if you had bought, and fallen asleep, 10 years later you'd have quite the pile of profits in your hands...

Last edited by spg993tt; 06-24-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:57 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
same as raclaims, i know a guy who had a few cgts, a 40, 50 and a 288GTO.
from a driving, performance, embrace-you perspective, the cgt was phenomenal hands down. at the time, the big worry was the clutch and the tough starting from a dead stop situation. not sure if the clutches got cheaper or better; and other than that, it was just such a powerful machne, if you were careless or wreckless, you might suffer.
the 40 was aesthetically pleasing if you like that kind of car. many do. hence the appreciation in prices. performance wise, it wasnt even close to the cgt. difference between a 996 cup and a 997 cup. but the noises were great. the rustic feel was incredible. the f50 was more in line with the cgt. the carbon in the back rivaled the porsche except, porsche/german engineering made a mockery of the ferrari/italian stuff in that era. was like the toyota tundras back in the early 2000s vs the chevys of taht era. the f50 was very cool also, had some trunks and luggage that came with it. sounded great. braking was great.
the guy who had them would take the cgt out, but never the f40 or f50. not so much due to value, but do to quality of drive feel and potential to have a problem when out and about.

no idea current values on these things, but they were all in taht 250/300 (CGT) to 500,600k range in the 2008 period.

those kind of cars , if you had bought, and fallen asleep, 10 years later you'd have quite the pile of profits in your hands...
Long time no talk buddy. As always, You are too humble with your statements.

Hope all is well
Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

I went through my digital folders of old snaps from the warehouse that used to hold the guys' collection. some near stuff. figured id post up here so you could see visually a bit more about the 40, 50, cgt , 288. porsche v ferrari, germans vs italians.
me? the ferraris were cool to look at. and i always enjoyed watching ferrari hounds lose their marbles looking at those red paint jobs. but fo rme, personally, when i see a 993 GT2 EVO, or a CGT, i get totally fired up not because its nice to look at...it is...but because when you step on that pedal its not raw power without purpose, but just a sharp sharp knife ready to slice and dice.

anyway, take a look at some of the photos. check out the carbon work on the 40, 50 vs the cgt. and how much would you kill to let that GT2 let loose on a track..?

very cool era. wish we could go back. like when yahoo was $2/share

https://www.flickr.com/gp/trademanageracing/2322gV
Old 06-24-2017, 01:57 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

I went through my digital folders of old snaps from the warehouse that used to hold the guys' collection. some near stuff. figured id post up here so you could see visually a bit more about the 40, 50, cgt , 288. porsche v ferrari, germans vs italians.
me? the ferraris were cool to look at. and i always enjoyed watching ferrari hounds lose their marbles looking at those red paint jobs. but fo rme, personally, when i see a 993 GT2 EVO, or a CGT, i get totally fired up not because its nice to look at...it is...but because when you step on that pedal its not raw power without purpose, but just a sharp sharp knife ready to slice and dice.

anyway, take a look at some of the photos. check out the carbon work on the 40, 50 vs the cgt. and how much would you kill to let that GT2 let loose on a track..?

on and by the way, check out that pearl white 964 flatnose. 1 of 1 in the world. was owned by a guy in midwest. incredibly rare car. SOO much power. that or a 288? performance-wise, the 964 would maul a 288.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Why did he have multiples of cars.. I can't wrap my head around that. And what I wouldn't do for a ride in an f50... quality be damned. Hard-mounted v12 manual Ferrari... man!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:46 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

993 gt1 streetversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Drove the CGT yesterday...man it's a fun machine...the sounds it makes are crazy
Old 07-01-2017, 02:23 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite car of all time was the Lancia Stratos.
Second was the F40.
Never owned either but missed my chance at both when the opportunity was there.
F40 prices are nuts now.
I wouldn't be able to get into or out of a Stratos now

At times I's like to consolidate (sell) my collection and get one supercar.

That car would be the CGT.
I currently have "the poor man's" CGT in a 996GT2

Even at current prices IMO they are undervalued.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:41 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Comparing the F40 and the CGT is like comparing Apples vs Oranges. Both cars can be high on the emotional scale but one doesn't have to own either car to know which car would be the better driver. 2004-05 vs 92? come on..it's like comparing an early(or even later) 930 to a Ferrari 360. Sure you can get a 930 to run with a 360 but it takes a few mods. Sounds like the F40 can be made to be a great driver with some mods, which may be the case for those who want to drive their cars and not stare at them. So, in the year 2029-30 the question may arise...CGT or a super car that was built in 2017. I'm sure many will choose the paddle shift, hybrid, "do everything for you car' over the CGT, claiming the 2017 super car had the better technology. Interesting topic though

Investment?..well just look at the what vintage Ferrari's are going for.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ferrari is probably going to be the better investment long term. I'd rather own a CGT though vs an F40. Turbo V8 is awesome, but give me 10 cylinders NA all day long. Of them all though, I'd prefer an F50. Saw one in Greenwich CT one time and the exhaust note was just stupid. I was around 16 or so when the F50 launched as well, so it was the bees knees when I was going through my formative stages of car lust.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:39 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zirrah
The Ferrari is probably going to be the better investment long term. I'd rather own a CGT though vs an F40. Turbo V8 is awesome, but give me 10 cylinders NA all day long. Of them all though, I'd prefer an F50. Saw one in Greenwich CT one time and the exhaust note was just stupid. I was around 16 or so when the F50 launched as well, so it was the bees knees when I was going through my formative stages of car lust.
For whatever reason, Ferraris almost always have been the better investment. Two cars, of similar age, history, panache, msrp over the past 10 years, the Ferraris have doubled and tripled, and some pcars have done well, but my guess is, not that well.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I see it differently. The CGT and F50 are in a class of their own. Arguably a stick shift Pagani could be included.

Stick shifted, high HP, carbon tubbed supercars has very few members. The F40 by comparison is just not in the same league. The CGT has EVERYTHING going for it for the future.

For now the cost for either is not far off. Euro F40 and CGT are almost identical in price. I see a CGT walking away from a F40 in the next decade.

The CGT is a culmination of plastic endurance cars dating back to the 60's from Porsche. Go listen to a 908 howl on youtube and see if you can hear the CGT firmly inside that note. The DNA is much much more important.

Quick Reply: F40 vs CGT question.