Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What are the major areas where a CGT gets "****ty".. Is it consumables like rotors, or something deeper and more expensive to address? Also curious how synchros get trashed?.. I know the clutch is tough, and you have to let it out without touching accelerator.. But after first gear is there a special technique for the others?

Let's say you have to do a full restoration on a CGT:

Full brake job 50-60k
Clutch 20k
Windshield replacement 7k
Engine out service + replace belts and plugs 5k
Tires 2500
Battery 1k
Redo leather on seats TBD
Hubs TBD
Axles TBD
Wheel Bearings TBD
Shocks TBD

Paint? Tbd

So there you go- ~100k plus and that's to say there is no issue with the engine/ ECU/ transmission
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ever restore a Miura, Countach, 275 GTB, Lusso, Gullwing ect?

They are ~300k for a true nut and bolt resto. The CGT will be about the same barring no major major issues.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

100k for a full Resto on a car of that caliber is very low.

Real Concours restorations from reputable shops are easily 300k+
Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What about a maintaining a higher mileage one that you buy because you actually want to drive it?.. What should one look out for?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Let's say you have to do a full restoration on a CGT:

Full brake job 50-60k
Clutch 20k
Windshield replacement 7k
Engine out service + replace belts and plugs 5k
Tires 2500
Battery 1k
Redo leather on seats TBD
Hubs TBD
Axles TBD
Wheel Bearings TBD
Shocks TBD

Paint? Tbd

So there you go- ~100k plus and that's to say there is no issue with the engine/ ECU/ transmission
You forgot the $21k for the new gas tank because the integrated fuel pump has been eaten up by the ethanol in the fuel! Fuel pump is part of the tank and not individually replaceable. This happens most in garage queens where the fuel sits and sits in the tank.

Need some fuel stabilizer.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

What about a maintaining a higher mileage one that you buy because you actually want to drive it?.. What should one look out for?
With over 19k miles and almost five years of ownership I think I can answer this for you. The only repair I've had to make is replacing the engine coils at a cost of $1,010 at the dealer. The original coils were flawed from the start because they were borrowed from the Cayenne.

My car is still on its original clutch measuring over 30mm. C.J. mentioned a complete brake job costing up to $60k. My original brakes were just measured at 9mm front, 10mm rear. I take my car in once a year to the dealer for service. Usually runs me $1200-$1800. This year I had a new battery installed. I don't track my car, I take it on road trips..long road trips. I drive it as frequently as I can because I love the driving experience. Would I call my car 'driver quality'? No, because I take care of it and it looks like a garage queen. Is 19k miles a lot for an eleven year old car? I think not, but in the CGT realm it is considered high miles. What I can tell you from my own experience is if you drive these cars like they were meant to be driven, they are bullet proof.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by E-Man
With over 19k miles and almost five years of ownership I think I can answer this for you. The only repair I've had to make is replacing the engine coils at a cost of $1,010 at the dealer. The original coils were flawed from the start because they were borrowed from the Cayenne. My car is still on its original clutch measuring over 30mm. C.J. mentioned a complete brake job costing up to $60k. My original brakes were just measured at 9mm front, 10mm rear. I take my car in once a year to the dealer for service. Usually runs me $1200-$1800. This year I had a new battery installed. I don't track my car, I take it on road trips..long road trips. I drive it as frequently as I can because I love the driving experience. Would I call my car 'driver quality'? No, because I take care of it and it looks like a garage queen. Is 19k miles a lot for an eleven year old car? I think not, but in the CGT realm it is considered high miles. What I can tell you from my own experience is if you drive these cars like they were meant to be driven, they are bullet proof.
Totally agree. When I take mine out I generally use an entire fuel load all at once so I routinely drive it 250-300 miles over the course of a day. My particular car is 12k miles and looks great, but drives even better.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Those price quotes are for just mechanical stuff.

Engine out 10yr service is 4K plus whatever coils or plugs you need to replace.

They're "regular" cars and unlike a 959 don't have active suspension, turbos, variable ride height etc.

It's like an F50 really.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yes I did have the F40 and currently own my second CGT.

The F40..... It was childhood dream car as it is and remains for many. Every time I saw one (mostly in pictures) and heard the incredible reports on it's performance the desire to own one became stronger and stronger. I bought the most perfect example I could find, unmolested, serviced and cared for as I myself do with my own vehicles.

Now please keep in mind everyone has there own opinions, requirements and reasons to buy a car. Regarding the F40 I can only sum it up as follows.... Sometimes its better not to meet your hero... at least for me that was the case with the F40

It simply was NOT my cup of tea and for me the choice is be very, very easy. The CGT wins that side by side hands down..

High on my personal list are quality and detail..... The F40 fell far short in that department for me. The build quality simply did not meet the standard I have for any vehicle or price point... or manufacturing year

Performance.... My F40 was all stock. Immediately on the first start-up of the engine the sound was a complete disappointment, all the videos of the car crackling, backfiring and shooting flames definitely isn't OEM.... The car did feel like a big kart driving it, everything very direct, very raw and extremely physical, the power came on like a rush but the brakes were total ****. Any attempt to stop the car without screeching discs was impossible. Everyone knew I was there even if they didn't see me.... My confidence in it was never high neither on public roads or on the track, I simply could not connect to that car. The CGT on the other is very engaging and sure footed at the limit in my opinion, pure joy.

I actually made a funny video comparing the CGT to the F40 before selling it, how can I upload that?? You might laugh LOL

Again I understand the car is from 1992 but for me it gave me virtually no driver satisfaction, that coupled to depreciation with every mile I drove it well... I even like my 1955 Speedster more. The CGT is still the ultimate car ever produced in my opinion. From an investment point of view perhaps the F40 will remain better but in my world cars aren't really the greatest investment and I still want to fall in love every time I get behind the wheel and drive them. The investment in the F40 is only as good as the miles you don't put on it.

Let the F40 be someones else's hero
Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I want to see that video. Just upload it to YouTube and set it as : " can only be seen by those that you share a link with... " That way it won't become viral on YT. Lol!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe just me, but these are both impractical cars. I have not had the F40, but it is my dream car. As was the CGT until I bought it. At least where I live, there is no point.

I read your comments about the joy of driving it with envy.

NYC is like an impenetrable barrier so driving more than 50 miles is just an exercise in traffic (clearly no fun in CGT maybe slightly better in f40)

Driving logistics-wise would be the same in an f40 I'm sure, so these are both just garage art, unfortunately.

These are both tremendously beautiful machines. The f40 is more obviously a freak show and will always command a premium in my book.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
Hi Guys,

Yes I did have the F40 and currently own my second CGT.

The F40..... It was childhood dream car as it is and remains for many. Every time I saw one (mostly in pictures) and heard the incredible reports on it's performance the desire to own one became stronger and stronger. I bought the most perfect example I could find, unmolested, serviced and cared for as I myself do with my own vehicles.

Now please keep in mind everyone has there own opinions, requirements and reasons to buy a car. Regarding the F40 I can only sum it up as follows.... Sometimes its better not to meet your hero... at least for me that was the case with the F40

It simply was NOT my cup of tea and for me the choice is be very, very easy. The CGT wins that side by side hands down..

High on my personal list are quality and detail..... The F40 fell far short in that department for me. The build quality simply did not meet the standard I have for any vehicle or price point... or manufacturing year

Performance.... My F40 was all stock. Immediately on the first start-up of the engine the sound was a complete disappointment, all the videos of the car crackling, backfiring and shooting flames definitely isn't OEM.... The car did feel like a big kart driving it, everything very direct, very raw and extremely physical, the power came on like a rush but the brakes were total ****. Any attempt to stop the car without screeching discs was impossible. Everyone knew I was there even if they didn't see me.... My confidence in it was never high neither on public roads or on the track, I simply could not connect to that car. The CGT on the other is very engaging and sure footed at the limit in my opinion, pure joy.

I actually made a funny video comparing the CGT to the F40 before selling it, how can I upload that?? You might laugh LOL

Again I understand the car is from 1992 but for me it gave me virtually no driver satisfaction, that coupled to depreciation with every mile I drove it well... I even like my 1955 Speedster more. The CGT is still the ultimate car ever produced in my opinion. From an investment point of view perhaps the F40 will remain better but in my world cars aren't really the greatest investment and I still want to fall in love every time I get behind the wheel and drive them. The investment in the F40 is only as good as the miles you don't put on it.

Let the F40 be someones else's hero
Well, your fault that you didn't research the car before spending the money. All you needed was a set of new pads (OEM pads are ****, maybe normal maintenance, like brake fluid) and straight pipes (early f40 came without cats, those who came with them, soon had tubi straight pipes installed by owners who actually drove the car).

Plus, the best F40 are the ones with some mileage and not original, that's something quite well known. OEM cars are good for dying in museums and collections and for snobs to snob about how it is a sacrilege to mod a classic Ferrari.

This is a short list of common mods (besides changing the brake fluid for something more modern and oil)
-Big Brake kit from the f40 LM (with bigger wheels, usually OZ/Enkei)
-Straight pipes
-Aluminium tanks
-Upgraded intercoolers
-Suspension either rebuilt or upgraded to Roberuta (that has a lift kit and has wonderful quality)
-Then some more corageous, add Standalone ECU (if properly done (not rocket science), it will make your engine last forever and give you a load more power)
-Oh and if you have the LM wheels you can get better rubber.

So in the end, you get a F40 2.0, as raw as ever, faster, more involving, more trust inspiring and more reliable as it never was (actually it was, if you cared to bring refresh everything).

So if you want to try again, at least, try new pads and the tubi pipes. It will change the car.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Pic of your F40?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Well, your fault that you didn't research the car before spending the money. All you needed was a set of new pads (OEM pads are ****, maybe normal maintenance, like brake fluid) and straight pipes (early f40 came without cats, those who came with them, soon had tubi straight pipes installed by owners who actually drove the car).

Plus, the best F40 are the ones with some mileage and not original, that's something quite well known. OEM cars are good for dying in museums and collections and for snobs to snob about how it is a sacrilege to mod a classic Ferrari.

This is a short list of common mods (besides changing the brake fluid for something more modern and oil)
-Big Brake kit from the f40 LM (with bigger wheels, usually OZ/Enkei)
-Straight pipes
-Aluminium tanks
-Upgraded intercoolers
-Suspension either rebuilt or upgraded to Roberuta (that has a lift kit and has wonderful quality)
-Then some more corageous, add Standalone ECU (if properly done (not rocket science), it will make your engine last forever and give you a load more power)
-Oh and if you have the LM wheels you can get better rubber.

So in the end, you get a F40 2.0, as raw as ever, faster, more involving, more trust inspiring and more reliable as it never was (actually it was, if you cared to bring refresh everything).

So if you want to try again, at least, try new pads and the tubi pipes. It will change the car.
That's an interesting refresh - change the DNA much.

CGT is aging with factory perfection vs F40 aging like Michael Jackson love the F40 but it's no Carrera GT.

Owned my CGT for years 1500.00 per year everything but tires - factory 13 years later.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 06-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a CGT and love it.
Buddy of mine had a few CGT and a F40 and F50 etc.
Said the F40 was dog crap
So I think the F40 looks cool as hell and is lustful and will continue to increase in value...but I'd buy it to look at not to drive.

Quick Reply: F40 vs CGT question.