Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

La Ferrari , 918 Spyder and Carrera GT at spa

Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default La Ferrari , 918 Spyder and Carrera GT at spa

Here you go kind sirs , my observations on a fantastic spa trip .

You have all seen the video .
The 918 and la ferrari were very evenly matched . In short , which ones faster depends on the track . It was wet in places and a real challenge .Perhaps stupidly I drove with all driving aids switched off .The car is very very knife edged to drive like this . I span at least 8 times , I don't mean a wee slide here and there I mean full blown 360 and more . The torque and power is savage .
Then we went out together with the la ferrari . The 918 destroys it out of corners , I wasn't able to capitalise on this as I would soon get stuck in traffic allowing the LF to catch up again . I couldn't bully may way past either side like on an RMA day and a lot of the traffic was far too inconsistent to risk anything . The car is stable if driven with care and respect but does not suffer fools gladly ( in the freezing cold and wet on cups at least ...). I couldn't use full acceleration and the 918s biggest advantage ( HARD braking into the apex, to then be fired out by hotlap mode ) yet still managed to hold position. My tyres started to go off and Unfortunately I had an incident going into Eu rouge that put me well off . I braked hard and the car slid forward , 350 miles into the cars life and first ever trackday , I don't mind telling you it was a rush but it was scary and that bought things to an end. I believe the la ferrari is noticeably faster at the top end . 918 better into , around and out of corners . In the dry it would be very interesting . Unfortunately we didn't go out again . Id love to track it against a p1 , anyone know an owner ?

Then The Colonel arrived in the Carrera gt and in the pouring rain , I took out the carrera gt and immediately remembered what true love is . Yes they ( 918 , p1 , la ferrari) are so much faster , so much more comfortable and in the case of the 918 so better looking and better built but nothing compares to the fury of a Carrera GT . The car was so violent so sideways, the scream bought everyone to the pit wall and her antics on track had the marshals clapping( imagine that in the uk) . Its such a raw , violent , undiluted driving experience .

The real issue was that once the la ferrari went home I was all alone . Then the 918 was too fast , too capable , too exciting . The track became an obstacle course of mobile chicanes and a road car with 900 hp and over 1000torques , with no race suit , fire extinguisher , roll cage , tank bag and with road tyres and aero meant that for the first time in my life I though "if I crash now they will find bits of me in Bermuda". Its shatteringly fast . In short you can't interact with other cars in these new hypercars , they are so much faster than supercars that you drive around alone , at your own pace . The carrera gt has been caught up by cars and still represents a challenge .

The carrera GT did all the driving on day 2 against a gaggle of allegedly faster cars ( GT2/RS/12C/Cup cars, aston race cars ,radicals , ultimas, you name it) . Everyone that experienced its fury from the passenger seat was blown away , she is the love of my life , a challenge that rewards like no other , a katana in a world of fire arms , a more elegant way of doing violence . The Dragon howled round the racetrack with another yellow yellow Carrera GT , a truly life affirming experience . I will never forget the howling , it still rings hauntingly in my ears now days later .

In short for my purpose the 918 is the supreme hypercer . A superfast , really exiting road car that can tour , drag race and track day with the best of them . Yet the comfort is shocking , you can genuinely tour europe ( one tank from spa to home in the uk with 70 miles to go in the tank) , the phone , sat nav , sound system electric seats are unsurpassed . I can take the roof off . I imagine racing a classic at Spa and driving the 918 over in the sun with the roofs off , enjoying the back roads with Bach pouring like liquid gold from the Burmester sound system . HEAVEN ON EARTH . The supreme do it all car for Porsche lovers and a fitting addition to the Carrera GT , not a replacement an addition .

The Carrera GT is the lost Le mans Race Car , betrayed by rule changes and banished into the dark . A warrior without a war . An anachronism , able to exult and elate the devoted yet brutally , mercilessly , punish the unbeliever . It becomes part of you, she talks to you , threatens and whispers to you , urges you to acts of valour and rewards with elation and exultation almost beyond belief .

99 per cent of the time one would choose the 918 spyder , la ferrari or p1 over the Carrera GT but on that one drive , the no holds barred purely for fun , knife edged drive under the bright morning star , when a stereo is an insult , Bach a heretic and comfort a thing undreamed of the Carrera GT shines . It howls at you and challenges you to take its key .
Its such a special machine that machine doesn't do it justice , I swear its a living sentient being with her own lusts and furies .

So for me the winner of the La Ferrari vs the 918 vs the P1 is the Carrera GT , some of the time .

Last edited by wtdoom; 03-25-2015 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (06-09-2020)
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Your my hero!!

wonderful write up, and damn im jealous.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Nicely done. Interesting to see the subjective trump the objective even at this level. Thanks very much for taking the time.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Poetry. Thanks for taking the time to write this captivating account....T
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 463 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:37 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Incredibly entertaining and insightful!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello Doom,

Really, that was one of the greatest posts on any car forum for ages. Thanks for that!
Will really appreciate your thoughts on interesting aspects of the 918:

- Battery charge/discharge in Race and HL mode;
- Tire life;
- “But” difference between Race and HL mode;
- Do you think that LaFa’s top end power can retrieve enough of the HUGE 918’s advantage out of the corners, because it looks devastating on that video (regarding the rain).

Once again, thanks for the report!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

The most epic, magnificent, majestic and Shakespearean post ever.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Plastique999
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredibly insightful and entertaining! ...should write for Porsche magazine

Quote of a lifetime: "she is the love of my life , a challenge that rewards like no other , a katana in a world of fire arms , a more elegant way of doing violence"

Best conclusion... "So for me the winner of the La Ferrari vs the 918 vs the P1 is the Carrera GT , some of the time ."
Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 AM
lsmkr01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... This post gave me goosebumps. Like reading another mans account of his experiences and thoughts on the love of my life. CGT will always be THE car for me and to read it still holds its own among the onslaught of TRON world hypercars just further solidifies that sentiment.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The CGT community is small. This post just added 100K to its value! Nice writing!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Best road car ever created by human hands.

It will have its true day in the sun.

What would happen to values if say Chris Harris did a little video on one..... Now after trying all the new cars, I would love to see his take on the Gem of all the supercars. Maybe a petition needs to happen?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,144 Likes on 498 Posts

doom,

How much handful was it with the nanny off on the 918 compared with the CGT? You said it bite you a few times already but I have to imagine the CGT did the same thing 1st time you took it to the track.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 PM
OFautomotive
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey my friends !!

It's Benjamin , the Author of those Photos (OFAUTOMOTIVE)

Again thank you for your Kindness

I'm very glad to see there !!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by OFautomotive
Hey my friends !! It's Benjamin , the Author of those Photos (OFAUTOMOTIVE) Again thank you for your Kindness I'm very glad to see there !!
Great work. Lovely photos. Really nice counterpart to wtdoom's words. Thank you for sharing, Benjamin....T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: La Ferrari , 918 Spyder and Carrera GT at spa