Sponsored by:

The 918 journey.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 866 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Fantastic story and pics of the journey! How did the meeting with David Donahue at the gas station come about? Thanks for posting!!
The meeting with David was pre-arranged with my sales. I had a client meeting that morning, so I asked David to meet up with me at a nearby gas station after my meeting with my client was finished. I wanted to test drive the 918 before committing to a deposit and they were able to arrange this initial drive fairly quickly. The service I have been receiving from Porsche (918 Spyder program and my local dealer) compared to Mclaren has been night and day!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:11 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by tims16m
Unotaz
Great post and pics. Memorial Villages. I met you at that Thermal 918 event. I got busy and didn't have much time to correspond. You are absolutely correct the customer service for the 918 VIP program is quite incredible. To begin with the opportunity to test drive the car with their instructors is priceless. I did at least 5 laps around the track, each time faster but no where near the limits of what will truly be an iconic symbol for Porsche.

Was looking at going for PTS Red, but decided to go with Basalt Black with Garnet Red interior, May/June build and August delivery. There were important CXX options that were revealed by the 918 design team which were nice to incorporate into the build. Went back and forth on specs with Chelsea, but they were very helpful and patient. There are a lot of perks from the 918 VIP program but its just whether you have the time and money to participate. They certainly do their best to make you feel like a special part of the Porsche family. Look forward to following your progress.
Tim,
It's good to see you here on Rennlist! I, too, went through several color changes on my 918 Spyder. Originally, I went with Racing Yellow exterior with a 2-tone (Black/Yellow/Yellow piping) interior combination. However, having seen several Racing Yellow cars in person, I grew tired of the color and went with the $64,000 liquid metal silver (with a Garnet Red interior). However, I was at the Los Angeles auto show this past November and saw the Oryx White 918 Spyder on display, I changed my order once again! I think Mr. Matthew Henry is growing tired of my constant calls and changes, so I finally settled on my final specification:

Orxy White (3 layer pearl paint) PTS
Garnet red leather with silver piping
Black alcantara seat inserts (to break up the red)
Black alcantara steering wheel
Black alcantara center console
Plus a bunch of CXX options......

Have you signed up to our "not so secrete but completely private" 918 owners FB page? If not, I will ask GT3_racer to send you an invite! PM me your email address!

Last edited by unotaz; 02-14-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM
unotaz
Drifting

While I am still waiting for my car to arrive (July/August delivery), Porsche helped me out with the wait by showering me with little gifts here and there

In addition to what I have posted earlier, here are:

- 918 Spyder jacket for US owners
- 918 Spyder racing gloves for US owners

There are actually a lot of items are country specific. So US owners might get different gifts compared to other country (eg. Canada). I'm sure Whoopsy here can chime in on the goodies that he has received from Porsche Canada!
Attached Images    

Last edited by unotaz; 02-14-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
While I am still waiting for my car to arrive (July/August delivery), Porsche helped me out with the wait by showering me with little gifts here and there

In addition to what I have posted earlier, here are:

- 918 Spyder jacket for US owners
- 918 Spyder racing gloves for US owners

There are actually a lot of items are country specific. So US owners might different gifts compared to other country (eg. Canada). I'm sure Whoopsy here can chime on the goodies that he has received from Porsche Canada!
I can confirm that in the UK, you get virtually nothing!

To be fair, I did get a business class trip to Stuttgart to spec, but the resultant CXX options put Porsche ahead on that deal.

Other than that, a 918 iPad and that's the lot. We don't event get a formal VIP program, although ok for GT3RS.

I think US is best from what I've seen.

Anyway - I didn't buy it for the freebies, and looking forward to build soon and delivery May/June
Old 02-14-2015, 06:13 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I can confirm that in the UK, you get virtually nothing!

To be fair, I did get a business class trip to Stuttgart to spec, but the resultant CXX options put Porsche ahead on that deal.

Other than that, a 918 iPad and that's the lot. We don't event get a formal VIP program, although ok for GT3RS.

I think US is best from what I've seen.

Anyway - I didn't buy it for the freebies, and looking forward to build soon and delivery May/June
Woo....918 iPad?! Please post a picture of it when you get a chance!

I'm planning to visit the factory sometime in June, trying to coordinate the scheduling with PCNA.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Woo....918 iPad?! Please post a picture of it when you get a chance!

I'm planning to visit the factory sometime in June, trying to coordinate the scheduling with PCNA.
Ok, so I lost the iPad!

Someone in an airport in Italy has a standard looking iPad, with 918 Spyder logo engraved on the back. Maybe they can post a pic...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 PM
thoth105
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The swag alone makes me want to rob a bank. Keep up the updates!
BTW - I swear the guy in the red shirt is either Jimmy Fallon or John Stamos. The glasses are throwing me.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Congrats.

Wonderful story, and thank you for taking the time to post and share.

Let us know when it arrives.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:41 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The meeting with David was pre-arranged with my sales. I had a client meeting that morning, so I asked David to meet up with me at a nearby gas station after my meeting with my client was finished. I wanted to test drive the 918 before committing to a deposit and they were able to arrange this initial drive fairly quickly. The service I have been receiving from Porsche (918 Spyder program and my local dealer) compared to Mclaren has been night and day!
Great customer service! Your car will look great in white!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to document this. I'm already looking forward to your delivery day!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Congratulations. It's good to know that Porsche do treat their VIP customers very well. It makes sense to do this as customers like yourself are putting down a very large sum of money.

Are Porsche 918 owners treated to any future track days to enjoy their 918's?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael, first let me say congratulations! Second, thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm also in L.A., so hopefully one day, I'll get to see it in person. If I do, I'll be sure to introduce myself as a fellow Rennlister! Please keep us updated as I'm sure many of us are living vicariously through you!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing Michael!

In Italy you get even less goodies than UK!

Looking forward to get the best goodie tho...mine should arrive some time in April!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing pics when it arrives!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 PM
unotaz
Drifting

The gifts from Porsche just keeps on coming! I received this package from 918 Spyder Circle a few days earlier. This is by far the best gift I have received thus far!

An electronic screen that has two recordings of the 918 Spyder and the 918 Spyder Circle program.

A personalized engraved (with your limitation number) fountain pen from Porsche Design, exclusive to the 918 Spyder. A normal black version retails for around $800-1000, but with the personal engraving, it's priceless
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: The 918 journey.....