Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 sold out

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Car is fun to drive. Carrera GT is a much different car.

I have also driven an F12 and would rather have it. Cost independent.

I don't like either of them as much as my 458 but thats just my opinion.

Car with options is close to one million. That's a bunch of money.
I don't think it will get cut in half but we will see.

You are right, most cars are not investments.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I took it on a canyon run with the 991 GT3 Rennlisters today. The car is freaking amazing! Pins your head to the seat -- literally, not figuratively -- under acceleration, sticks like glue in high speed corners, and handles transitions and tight corners like a much lighter, RWD car. To top it off, the car rides flawlessly on the highway all the way home.

Did you notice even if the GT3 are driven very hard, you in the 918 feels like you are not even trying and will be right at their asses?

That's one bad thing about the 918, it's so freaking fast that nothing can shake it lose.

I will take my 918 to my track club next year for some laps, but I will likely run the RS more instead, no fun over taking your friends every 3 laps and leave them in the dust.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 507 Posts

A lot of people who didn't want to pay the MSRP for a 918 are all hoping the 918 would depreciate enough that they can pick one up on the cheap. Probably wishing the 918 will follow the CGT's price curve.

One big problem is that the CGT were dump to dealer lots just so Porsche can get rid of them in time, dealers were stuck with tons of unsold cars that they need to unload quickly. 918 is in a different situation, all 918 were spoken for before they were made. Cars coming back on market are either from flippers or dealer principals that didn't want their cars.

Buyers of million+ cars are also in a different mind set than lesser cars, most don't mind can afford to having a million dollar locked up in a car, if the price isn't right they are just not going to unload, unless their financial situation changes and they need the liquidity quickly.

My guess is, if one really wants a 918, their best bet is to pick up the cars or allocations that dealer principals are unloading at MSRP, after that supply dries up, not sure if there will be any easy cars to pick up. The allocation ones are the best pick, as the name associated with the order can still be changed and you can pick up the 918 VIP perk.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
A lot of people who didn't want to pay the MSRP for a 918 are all hoping the 918 would depreciate enough that they can pick one up on the cheap. Probably wishing the 918 will follow the CGT's price curve.

One big problem is that the CGT were dump to dealer lots just so Porsche can get rid of them in time, dealers were stuck with tons of unsold cars that they need to unload quickly. 918 is in a different situation, all 918 were spoken for before they were made. Cars coming back on market are either from flippers or dealer principals that didn't want their cars.

Buyers of million+ cars are also in a different mind set than lesser cars, most don't mind can afford to having a million dollar locked up in a car, if the price isn't right they are just not going to unload, unless their financial situation changes and they need the liquidity quickly.

My guess is, if one really wants a 918, their best bet is to pick up the cars or allocations that dealer principals are unloading at MSRP, after that supply dries up, not sure if there will be any easy cars to pick up. The allocation ones are the best pick, as the name associated with the order can still be changed and you can pick up the 918 VIP perk.
Well said.

I hope 918's hold strong - there is no reason other than if a lot hit the market at the same time it shouldn't. In the US 500 CGT's hit and less then half that with the 918.

On the other hand - only 2 days matter. The day one buys and sells.

Enjoy your cars guys ... you can't take them with you and it's the best therapy ever created.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Well said.

I hope 918's hold strong - there is no reason other than if a lot hit the market at the same time it shouldn't. In the US 500 CGT's hit and less then half that with the 918.

On the other hand - only 2 days matter. The day one buys and sells.

Enjoy your cars guys ... you can't take them with you and it's the best therapy ever created.
Another significant thing to consider is the VIP program. The first right of refusal on all future limited production cars for 10 years is a very valuable option. But if you sell the car, the option expires so to speak (and is not transferable). So, by selling, you are giving up something of significant value that cannot be recouped. I think that will keep the flipping to a minimum.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Did you notice even if the GT3 are driven very hard, you in the 918 feels like you are not even trying and will be right at their asses?

That's one bad thing about the 918, it's so freaking fast that nothing can shake it lose.

I will take my 918 to my track club next year for some laps, but I will likely run the RS more instead, no fun over taking your friends every 3 laps and leave them in the dust.
I did notice that yesterday.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

It's very likely that the 918 will take a hit early on. If you think about the production nr 918 (a lot). Probably half of these cars are picked up by jet setters that will be happy to own the coolest car at the moment. Until the next new thing shows up in 2-3 years, they will be happy to "trade" it in for for the new "LaLaLa Ferrari" when this happens the 918 will loose about 30-40% of its value and be picked up by Rennlist enthusiast. And start it's climb back up! Just my $0.02. Anyone have one those shiny crystal *****?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:26 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

If you want one and the price is not a problem then I would just order what I wanted. The VIP option is a nice perk but you can probably get whatever you want anyway.

Ferrari's are whole different ballgame. The LaFerrari was sold out before most knew is was available.

It will be interesting to see what pricing support current production million dollar Porsche's have.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carcommander
If you want one and the price is not a problem then I would just order what I wanted. The VIP option is a nice perk but you can probably get whatever you want anyway.
I think that's what it used to be like, when Porsche had ample capacity and demand was lower. But I think something structural has changed.

FWIW, on that 100 unit Panamera Exclusive, all 100 went to 918 owners. I'm no. 368 on the VIP list. They sold out before they got to me. (Not that I wanted one... but if I had, I wouldn't have gotten one.)

But, however it ends up, I really don't care. I'm going to drive and enjoy the 918, and any other interesting Porsches that come my way.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I agree. I currently own a '15 GT3 and a '14 Turbo. Both of which I ordered.

With a little patience I have found I can own whatever I want without paying a premium for it.

IMO the Panamera Exclusive was just marketing.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Last edited by nuvolari612; 12-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:33 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 874 Likes on 385 Posts

The way I see it is that the 918 will drop 20% in value in the next 2-3 years and make its way back to MSRP in 5 years and then rise above MSRP in year 7 and beyond. All of this is under the assumption that we don't experience another depression like we did back in 2008.

Like some of you on the forum, I went through a lot of different cars over the years. I switch cars probably every 2-3 years and on most of them, I lose money. Some cars I lose little (eg. 360 Stradale, 458 spyder) and some I lose a lot (eg. 599 GTB, Murcielago). I wished I bought the CGT brand new when I had the chance back in 2005 but I didn't. Then when the 918 and the P1 came out, I thought to myself...."Instead of buying a lot of cars and lose money, when don't I just buy a few high value cars, keep it for a long time (e.g. 8+ years) and make a little money?" Considering I don't buy any cars used, this seems like a good idea for me

On the P1, I already made a little money by selling my allocation to another friend. Both are great cars, but I ended up choosing the 918 and plan to trade in my 12C when the 918 arrives later next year.

I remember my wife yelling at me for buying the Zonda F back in 2006. Looking back, the price that I paid new seems like a bargain in today's market.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody really knows what the prices will do.

Anyone who "knows" is guessing.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by 918man
Nobody really knows what the prices will do.

Anyone who "knows" is guessing.
Big difference between guessing and offering an opinion based on past experience.

So many variables - the CGT has a 300k spread in the US from best to worst and a 200k spread geographically.

Personally I think the CGT will surpass the 918 if it already hasn't vs a few rare cases.

10 years from now it will be fun to look back as we are now able to do on the CGT.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

The manual transmission will make all the difference in the future for a Carrera GT,IMO. There will never be another Supercar with a manual tranny. That alone will make the CGT worth double than what it's worth today.
Add the NA V10,Classic modern look and you have a winner!
People that can afford one(not me) will be really upset for getting rid of it.

Just my 2 c...

Quick Reply: 918 sold out