Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche going to make a track only version of the 918 just like the LaFerrari FXX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Is Porsche going to make a track only version of the 918 just like the LaFerrari FXX?

I think it would be a way cool project for those that can afford such a machine!

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/12/...onster-7724043

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do admire what Ferrari has done here -- but the 918 sings to a different tune and should stay true to it. For anything other than the track, the 918 kills the P1 and La Ferrari. And even then, on big long bad *** tracks, like the Ring, the 918 has still won out. You'll need special tracks, tires and everything else to take this magnificently designed vehicles to their fullest potentials. Very rare and special moments. The 918 is there in every moment...
Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Stephen,I do agree with your conclusion and my post wasn't meant to discuss the value and performance between the 3,where the 918 is the clear winner. I just thought it would be an interesting idea for Porsche to make a 918 track only version,just like Ferrari is offering with the LaFerrari FXX-K or McLaren with the P1 GTR. I would certainly be interested in a track only version if I were fortunate enough to be able to afford one. What's not to like : full factory assistance at some of the nicest tracks,coaching and they take the car away once you're done!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Porsche never had a proven history in doing that. Yes they had the racing version of the 959, but that was off road, and the GT1 racer, but they made the race car first and do the road cars just so they can satisfy the rules. The CGT never had a track only version either.

For Porsche's 918, the Weissach pack car IS their track version. And it is the top dog right now.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This prompts a question I've been meaning to ask - does anyone know how close to "standard" Weissach the 918 6.56 Ring car was? Does Porsche claim the time could be achieved in a customer car, or did they just announce the time and release video without being specific?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

As far as I know, the 6:57 car was a early prototype, so it doesn't have all the power updates, the transmission updates, the battery management software updates, nor the increased rpm range on the front motor of the shipping cars.

The active aero bits are also fixed in the performance high downforce mode.

The current cars in production are actually faster than the record setting prototype.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current car has a front engine that revs faster and disconnects later
An overboost function
More power
Active aero
Improved recharging on the move
Superior integration of systems
Rws update
Better brake feel and more aggressive e brake use
Hot lap and race mode electric power comes in even harder
And a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head

Estimated 10/ 15 seconds plus faster round the ring and it's won every track and road test ( apart from the evo second appearance that Porsche were not even invited to . You can only win a contest you are invited to take part in ).
Top gear magazine after testing all 3 hyper brids stated 918 fastest car on roads of the 3 to boot .
Porsche : under promise and over deliver
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,794 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I hope not.

Let Ferrari and McLaren play those marketing games.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, if 10-15s quicker (which does seem a lot), customer car should be able to get comfortably under 7minutes then...? (Even with paint, the aircon and sound system added back!). Would be nice...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
So, if 10-15s quicker (which does seem a lot), customer car should be able to get comfortably under 7minutes then...? (Even with paint, the aircon and sound system added back!). Would be nice...
Weissach pack car pre updates was only 3/4 seconds faster round the ring than non weissach car .
Fyi the record car weighed in like a weissach car with ac, stereo and a few other things added back in due to computers , monitoring , video, gps , data collection and other equipment put in the car ( basically almost a non weissach cars weight). All of the above measured and timed by the official vln timing guys with independent observers scrutinising them .
No manufacturer has the ***** for that kind of behaviour
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting to hear that the production cars are quicker. That probably explains why the early prototype I drove at Thermal a few weeks ago felt much slower in acceleration than the car I test drove in Monterey in August. It may also explain why the braking in this early prototype was much more "non-linear" in feel than the Monterey car, though I didn't have the opportunity to brake as hard on the streets of Monterey.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:18 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Ferrari has had race support teams for years and Mclaren is scheduled to follow.

Agree Porsche should take their models to a track only level - it's easy enough to do - question is if they have the customer list that would pay 50 - 75k per event for race support.

Ferrari used to require the cars be raced so many times per year etc. to make sure their customers would cover the costs - once a few received the car without fully understanding it only took a few races for them to opt out and sell their race car.

I know you guys believe that the 918 is the fastest best all around of the three - but a track version no matter if they built 5 or 20 it would IMO complete the much needed missing link.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 12-04-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

For 75K per race you can run in the Tudor US Sports Car Championship in a dedicated race car -- where Porsche makes a lot more money than Ferrari and others (with the 911 GT3 Cup America). Anyone serious about racing would go there instead at that pricing.

I personally don't think it would be a good idea for Porsche to start another series for rich guys with more money than talent. I think it dilutes the brand... though clearly Ferrari (post Enzo) disagrees. (In Enzo's days, a rich guy without sufficient talent was relegated to "entrant" status.)

I also don't think it makes sense for anyone who really wants to race competitively to do so in $1M per car, one-make series. The level of competition won't be particularly good, on average (though some drivers will be good), and you won't learn nearly as much as you would in a more competitive and diverse series. Often these gentlemen series can turn into crashfests as well, which isn't good for anyone except the Ferrari parts counter.

P.S. On the other hand, driving your 918 on track (not racing it) makes a lot of sense. That's the best place to truly enjoy it's potential. And both versions of the 918 are already well suited to that.

P.S.S. The new La Ferrari FXX is an incredible looking machine.

Last edited by Porsche-Suchtig; 12-06-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: To tone it down just a little. It was a little to over the top the first time around.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:05 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
For 75K per race you can run in the Tudor US Sports Car Championship in a dedicated race car -- where Porsche makes a lot more money than Ferrari and others (with the 911 GT3 Cup America). Anyone serious about racing would go there instead at that pricing.

I personally don't think it would be a good idea for Porsche to start another series for rich guys with more money than talent. I think it dilutes the brand... though clearly Ferrari (post Enzo) disagrees. (In Enzo's days, a rich guy without sufficient talent was relegated to "entrant" status.)

I also don't think it makes sense for anyone who really wants to race to do so in $1M per car, one-make series. The level of competition won't be particularly good and you won't learn much of anything. More often than not, it turns into "driving fast by oneself, and crashing when others are encountered" which isn't good for anyone except the Ferrari parts counter.

P.S. On the other hand, driving your 918 on track (not racing it) makes a lot of sense. That's the best place to truly enjoy it's potential. And both versions of the 918 are already well suited to that.
Respectfully perhaps you underestimate the FXX / Challenge and where I participate with CCR Ferrari drivers. Many pro drivers at all three levels and very well coached.

Personally not racing and being on a track is ... dull
Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Respectfully perhaps you underestimate the FXX / Challenge and where I participate with CCR Ferrari drivers. Many pro drivers at all three levels and very well coached.

Personally not racing and being on a track is ... dull
I definitely agree with you on the last point.

I also agree with you that some of the racers in the Ferrari club ranks are bound to be good.

Hopefully my earlier post didn't offend. I think it could have been stated better (so below I say it a little differently).

Based on my experience,

1. Racing with guys with more money than talent (not speaking specifically of the Ferrari club experience here since I've never done it) often lands you in the body shop through no fault of your own. Even if money is no object, it's still no fun to end your race weekend early and with a broken car.

2. For the money of the FXX series or Ferrari Challenge, you could race a true pro series - one not affiliated with any club - where I think you'd have far better competition and progress more as a racer (if that is a goal). Even the mid pack to 75th percentile guys will give most racers a good run for their money.

3. Alternatively, for a good club/semi pro level of competition, you could race POC, SCCA or NASA for a heck of a lot less than running in the FXX series. But then again, if money is of little or no concern, this point would be moot.

4. If money is no object, and you don't want to race in a true pro series (which can be a PITA in my experience), then I think the FXX series would be a blast.

Re Pro series, they can be a real PITA for anyone who's not paid well to do it. That's a big problem in the US. Very few are paid at all and those that are paid are rarely if ever paid well. That's why US pro sports car drivers teach at racing schools on the way up and end up working in marketing or engineering for manufacturers on the way out.

The other downside, IMO, of pro racing is that it can be a crashfest. World Challenge is the worst. The guys at TrueSpeed asked me if I would be interested in running with them in the new 991 Cup class in WC next year. The cost was quoted at $500k for the season, which isn't bad all things considered. And the team is incredibly good. But I just don't need that hassle. If you are reasonably competitive, the odds of being punted into a wall get too high for a sport that, at the end of the day, has to be about fun or it's not worth doing (I say that because the sport makes no sense economically).

This is just my $0.02 based on the school of hard knocks. It may also have to do with how many years you race. Paul Newman once said that it doesn't matter when you start racing (he started in his late 40s I think), every racer has 20 good years. My 20 year mark is coming up this year. So maybe I'm just not as motivated as I used to be.

Last edited by Porsche-Suchtig; 12-06-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche going to make a track only version of the 918 just like the LaFerrari FXX?