Old 09-29-2014 | 06:31 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Well disguised trolling

Do not feed
Old 09-29-2014 | 06:33 AM
wtdoom
Pro

By this "logic" one would never even need to buy a new car .
Old 09-29-2014 | 08:55 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtdoom
By this "logic" one would never even need to buy a new car .
No one needs to buy a new car - it's the "want" that the 918 was built for.

Regardless don't start - some guys here buying 918's are trading in their CGT's.

Not everyone wants to own a CGT & 918 equating to 1.5 million.

The CGT from what I have learned here is a dual purpose car - personally I would prefer a lighter raw non AWD.

I appreciate the 918 owners posting but selling the CGT just doesn't make sense in my mind.

No desire for people to talk about me driving a 1m car or drive a fast car slow and or for comfort - down the road maybe when the drama dies down.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 09-29-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2014 | 07:55 PM
JS
Race Car

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
I appreciate the 918 owners posting but selling the CGT just doesn't make sense in my mind.
Agreed, CGT > 918.
Old 10-08-2014 | 09:42 PM
918man
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinS
Agreed, CGT > 918.

I own both. Not many do. I disagree.

918 > cgt.

Its close but until you have driven both i cant say i respect an opinion.
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:24 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by 918man

918 > cgt.

I see the CGT as the best car of an era.

The 918 - the first of many to come - by the way I have bought a 612 MP4 16M 360C Bentley SS CGT and many others all of which I had never previously driven sat in or even seen in person and if I were to buy a 918 the same would hold true.

Reviews and you tube viideos are far better IMO than a test drive with a salesman yipping.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-09-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2014 | 12:07 AM
biko
Instructor

918 > cgt.

I owned a CGT and am waiting now for a 918. I agree the 918 >> CGT.

I liked the CGT and every now and then regret selling it. But I am not sentimental about most things, much less cars. The CGT does define an era and for many that's why you want or keep them. And that's more than enough reason.

For me, the CGT's street driving characteristics downsides outweighed its upsides. On a racetrack If you want raw feel and a manual transmission I'd argue a 996 Cup car is much more fun an engaging.
Old 10-09-2014 | 08:22 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

918 > CGT. Expert opinion from someone who has not driven either one! No way Porsche is not going to build a superior car that is 10 years newer.
Old 10-09-2014 | 08:47 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Ok FWIW..

There is nothing like the thrill of shifting a CGT at full revs from 2nd to third to fourth. The gearbox is very small in every way, and it wouldn't take much to miss a shift. You feel it as you drive it faster and faster. The revs drop so quick when full throttle comes off for a shift, every motion needs to move very fast.

All the while there is a shrieking V10 and open exhaust valves taking you faster and faster. As the wind goes through the cabin at higher speeds and revs it gets to the point where you only hear the highest pitches of engine noise like a fighter jet, through the clutter. Its surreal when all together. A million dollar experience? Probably.

I have been in a 918 on a ride with Daniel when he ran the program. The whole experience and feel I got was this thing is so easy to drive. Very easy. Too easy..... Engine tone was great but so ultra smooth it felt almost synthesized and was a hint monotonous.... IDK if that makes sense at all. Still an awesome sound.

It was no CGT sound though. 918 engine sounded good but has much less character through its range. I believe the electric engines have something to do with that as well as the direct injection.

A CGT...... Is like Aretha Franklin singin R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Think about it..... Haha I tried.

Not everyone is ok with the trickiness of driving it around slow. Its not tough at all if you use a little effort, and when you go fast, it does take ***** to shift it and keep rocketing away.

I love it at any speed. Its engaging on a whole different level. It is one of, if not, the ultimate car ever made. I will always stand by that statement.
Old 10-09-2014 | 08:57 PM
JS
Race Car

918 > cgt.

Owner and have driven both.
Old 10-09-2014 | 09:19 PM
swb3
Instructor

Interesting perspectives for sure.

I can't say the CGT does not have allure to me. it was and still is an amazing car to drive, listen to, beautiful to look at both moving and standing still but from a decade ago. Last time I checked they both come from the same company but maybe I'm wrong.

When visiting the 918 line this Yellow CGT was sitting outside calling my name and it spoke pretty loud not just because its yellow.

I can't help but chuckle about suggestions that the 918 is basically a $1M show off vehicle as opposed to the fly under the radar $500,000 CGT. Another perspective is that I bought the 918 because I did not want to show off in the big buck P1 or LaFerrari or Bugatti.

Respectfully, all first world problems to be sure!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2014 | 10:34 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by swb3
Interesting perspectives for sure.

I can't say the CGT does not have allure to me. it was and still is an amazing car to drive, listen to, beautiful to look at both moving and standing still but from a decade ago. Last time I checked they both come from the same company but maybe I'm wrong.

When visiting the 918 line this Yellow CGT was sitting outside calling my name and it spoke pretty loud not just because its yellow.

I can't help but chuckle about suggestions that the 918 is basically a $1M show off vehicle as opposed to the fly under the radar $500,000 CGT. Another perspective is that I bought the 918 because I did not want to show off in the big buck P1 or LaFerrari or Bugatti.

Respectfully, all first world problems to be sure!
So what did the Yellow CGT say??

Shed some light on the under the radar 500k CGT - very few know the current price which was worth 1/2 not so long ago.

A Porsche emblem does not carry the panache of Ferrari Mclaren Bugatti.
Perspective on these cars - has a lot to do with where you live.

You aren't wrong but the CGT was designed by F1 engineers that didn't care about mpg comfort or drivers ease.
Old 10-09-2014 | 10:59 PM
MikeGT
Racer

When I bought the CGT, my wife said "cool".
When I bought the FGT, my wife said "oh...."
If I buy the 918, my wife may say "bye bye"....
hmmmm... maybe I will buy the 918.

For you owners who have both the CGT and 918: if you decide you want to let go your CGT, please PM me. I'll make it quick and painless (silver over BLACK only, between 2-7k miles preferred).
Old 10-09-2014 | 11:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I don't know if any of you 1% people (LMAO just kiddin') want to hear an outsider's(99% ) opinion that can't afford either,but as much as I love the 918,I would definitely take the CGT! But I'm Manual biased and simply love listening to that screaming V10.
Old 10-09-2014 | 11:20 PM
swb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
So what did the Yellow CGT say??

Shed some light on the under the radar 500k CGT - very few know the current price which was worth 1/2 not so long ago.

A Porsche emblem does not carry the panache of Ferrari Mclaren Bugatti.

When I drove the Mclaren people thought it was a P1 lots of attention more than the Ferrari vs the Porsche everyone approaches with a smile on their face.

Perspective on these cars - has a lot to do with where you live.
The yellow CGT was saying buy me! It think they wanted around $500,000 (US back in February) and of course this was a German car.

Put a CGT next to a 918 and I suspect unknowing people would have little idea of the difference or in price. Certainly the people in this forum know the CGT values are strong. I have never seen a CGT show up and people did not flock to it so, flying under the radar in a CGT and people thinking it's not big buck compared to a 918? Ok call it $250,000, heck cut it in half again. The CGT still looks like a million bucks, it is a big attention getter even when people don't know what it is. They always approach it with a smile as far as I have witnessed.

I have a 12c and I've had the same reaction "is that a P1" or my favorite "is that the new corvette?"

I would have to agree with perspective as it relates to non-car people, or maybe you are referring to my perspective up here in the boonies? People in Beverly Hills barely notice Ferraris, where I live, well they don't really know what to think(non car people) or they think it's a New Corvette lol

Quick Reply: 918 vs CGT - it's fair game.