Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my first Road trip in the CGT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finished my first Road trip in the CGT!

I have posted this on a couple of forums i frequent but forgot to on here, so enjoy!

The Route:

London > Reims > Lake Anncey > Cannes > St. Tropez

The company:

My gf, my friend in his 458 Italia and another friend in his 997 'S'.

So how was it?

Firstly i'll say that i was agonizing over which car to actually take on this trip - my 89 Supersport was out of the question as it's under restoration still so i had either the 991 50th - the perfect, comfortable and obvious choice, or i had my recently acquired CGT. This was NOT an easy decision - the 50th had enough space for all of my luggage, my gf's luggage, easy to use and view sat nav, bluetooth, iPod and comfort. It's the perfect touring car - it can do all that while being exciting, look fabulous, sound incredible with the sports exhaust and point to point be quicker than my CGT with far less effort. But it's my daily driver - would i enjoy it, especially following a 458 Italia?

I spent about a week going over and over and over the choice:

The main concern was quite simply the luggage space as this was a 10 day trip with the gf. Had it been just myself i wouldn't have been concerned but obviously you have to be a little less selfish when the other half agrees to a hardcore 10 day trip in a CGT! Eventually i made my mind up - you only live once and i knew i'd regret every mile in the 991 knowing i have one of the greatest Supercar ever made sitting in the garage! So the day before the trip the decision was made and accepted by the lady and that was that!

Time to pack...

Ok so having done a couple of road trips to and on the Continent before, i have a few tactics to maximize space:

All shirts are flat packed and folded by the dry cleaner and placed in a large department store bag behind the driver's seat - firstly they stack and if you have a rigid bag you can easily get 10 shirts in, which is exactly what i did this time. Secondly, you're able to move the driver's seat back as far as you'd like as the bag and contents are soft. Behind the passenger seat went all of the passports & associated paperwork, CD's - yes, CD's, Sat nav and anything else we would have needed on the road or for the road including oil etc.

In the front went a soft duffle bag upside down due to the shape along with a suit carrier which had all of our toiletries. That was all of my stuff packed...hmm. That left a plane size carry on packed to the brim to take, which obviously was never going to fit into the CGT so a rapid phone call to the driver of the 997 'S' was made, followed by many thank you's and a drive to his place to drop off her case which was swallowed up by the cavernous boot of his 997!

Done!

The night before the 5 of us went to dinner and decided on where to meet and timing etc! We met at the Dorchester in Central London at silly o'clock as it's in between where we all live and set off for Dover!

We got there in good time and grabbed a much needed coffee! Onto the train and off to France, where immediately we all got separated and had a laugh meeting up at the next stop.

We set off for Reims and a few hours later arrived comfortably and started to relax and commence the drinking - a recurring theme of this trip! The hotel was lovely and i knew we'd have a nice time as i stayed there prior to the Lamborghini 50th Giro which i participated in last year!

So how was the CGT getting there? ROCK SOLID!

How was the clutch? A non issue and even in some of the rush hour traffic it didn't bother me.

How was the ground clearance? DO NOT do a road trip without one of the lifting kits available - it was a life saver and the operation and ease of use of the KW which lift's all four wheels is fantastic.

How did the car sound? Well like most CGT owners state, you can't really hear much of the howl it's known for inside the cabin. My friends advised that the car simply sounded phenomenal even if i was a couple of miles ahead and that they could hear it over their music which was blasting. That surprised me to be honest as all you can hear in the car is the engine, which sounds lovely as it is!

How did it handle? It's very snug inside the cabin and the seat is so comfortable due to the position it really does give you an epic amount of confidence as you feel every minute sensation through the steering wheel. The car shrinks around you and visibility is fantastic. You can dart in and out of traffic if need be which is something i can't say about some other Supercars that i have been fortunate enough to own or be in. The brakes were consistent and fantastic and the fact that they give off little to no brake dust satisfied my OCD!

Is it fast? Oh hell yes - it's solid and leaving the car in 6th and winding up to a "comfortable" cruising speed was a lot of fun. It really was just a pleasure to drive and every mile felt special! When you drop down a couple of gears the thing is just astounding.

How was fuel consumption? Was a direct match for my friends 458 Italia, we often had exactly the same amount of fuel at each stop.

Oil consumption - over the 2000 miles i added a litre, which considering the low mileage (it started off with approx 4100 before the trip) was expected.

Comfort - more space would have been nice but otherwise fine!

How many miles total? Just over 2000!

We ended up staying at 4 hotels, all of which were accommodating in regards to parking - i parked my vehicle at each hotel and kept them either out back or underground, the trip was amazing and i can't believe how quickly it went!

Enough blabbing and onto the pictures as i'm sure i'm not giving as good a review as W. Mitty here!

Enjoy,

Josh

Route Napoleon

Old 09-13-2014, 08:26 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great experience in a fantastic machine. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Fantastic pictures and story, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,769 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Epic.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Everything about the CGT seems to get better with age.
Thanks for the write up!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:56 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the great report, really nice to hear about people that enjoy these beautiful cars. So much talk about value these days.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

What fun! Thanks for sharing, im jealous.

Heard a rumour that you're moving back to socal and sharing a house with Bruce Jenner?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:49 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Who told you that?! 3-5 years away...
Old 09-14-2014, 03:22 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

Great trip Josh. Loving that colour combo. Wise choice.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 473 Likes on 317 Posts

Simply amazing.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for posting - sounds like an epic trip.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Well done!

I read this thread the other night and it happened to be cool and raining outside.

Inspired grabbed the CGT keys vs the RR and off we went - agree 100% with how usable the CGT is but sure enough I missed the approach angle and heard and ever so light scrape.

How quick does the lift raise - and no I am not referencing the white hot pants picture.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for sharing - awesome road trip!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Great story! Love seeing these cars get driven like that
Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Well done!

I read this thread the other night and it happened to be cool and raining outside.

Inspired grabbed the CGT keys vs the RR and off we went - agree 100% with how usable the CGT is but sure enough I missed the approach angle and heard and ever so light scrape.

How quick does the lift raise - and no I am not referencing the white hot pants picture.
That's exactly what i was hoping for (sans scrape) - these cars need to be driven

I have the KW lifting kit and it takes all of 8 seconds to raise - it really is fantastic and was great as i can activate it when i see a bump coming up and it does so on the move.

Quick Reply: Finished my first Road trip in the CGT!