Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Those wheels looks horrible and those pinstripes is a huge no no.

Couldn't have said it any better or worse (depending on how one see it) myself.

The wheels basically ruins the car.

The 911R's styling means it's a simple design car, needs a simple design wheel, that just looked way too busy, more suited for a horribly kitted Civic.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Those wheels looks horrible and those pinstripes is a huge no no.
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Couldn't have said it any better or worse (depending on how one see it) myself.

The wheels basically ruins the car.

The 911R's styling means it's a simple design car, needs a simple design wheel, that just looked way too busy, more suited for a horribly kitted Civic.

I feel like if the outer lip was not opted for in green, but rather a polished clear, it might have not looked as polarizing.

Maybe a P101 would be better suited with something subtle like the "HRE" engraving PPG color matched to the striping.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 05-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WheelsB

I feel like if the outer lip was not opted for in green, but rather a polished clear, it might have not looked as polarizing.

Maybe a P101 would be better suited with something subtle like the "HRE" engraving PPG color matched to the striping.

It's not about the painted lips. It's about the spoke design. Some 911Rs came with painted lips from the factory. The mesh design is simply way too busy, The 911R needs clean thin spokes. Those mesh wheels are really only good for modified Civics.

A P101 is basically like a BBS FI, simple timeless design that will look good on anything.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not about the painted lips. It's about the spoke design. Some 911Rs came with painted lips from the factory. The mesh design is simply way too busy, The 911R needs clean thin spokes. Those mesh wheels are really only good for modified Civics.

A P101 is basically like a BBS FI, simple timeless design that will look good on anything.
I agree, way too busy and those pinstripes are way too huge. I like pinstripes, this is my previous setup.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:16 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Here is the state of my car right now.

Couple weeks ago the dash showed the check engine light, went in and the ECU logged a few errors on the rear e-machine, aka rear e-motor, and the charging system.

Off came 'everything'. The errors were sent to Porsche and my foreman was instruction to prepare the car for possible parts replacement. Which, could be thereat e-machine, hence the back half were gone.

But he was also instructed to diagnose the onboard hybrid charging system and that means taking out the engine, the transmission, the fuel cell and the power unit carrier, basically means 3/4 of the car in pieces.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 05-17-2017, 02:14 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow - any estimate on downtime?

More driving time in the R or 3.6 for a while...
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

That I definitely did!
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Holy crap that is insane! Good thing you have those other rides to keep the stress levels in check..
Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

It was actually discussed many times before. But the short version is that I don't quite see a CGT on the same level as other historic Porsche cars, the 959, GT1, 918, 930Turbo, and the 964 Turbo 3.6 I just bought.

964 Turbo 3.6 is the one year unicorn that was the bridge between the single turbo cars and the twin turbo cars.

CGT, it was a salvage operation by Porsche to monetize 2 failed racing programs, to recoup money spent. It is a dead end on Porsche's family tree, there was nothing before it nor after. Having said that, it is still a great great car, no other Porsche engines can matched it's V10 for sound. But it just doesn't carry enough Porsche heritage for me to give it a top priority.
Late to this, but I'll chime in with another perspective...

I love the 3.6 Turbo as a true German hotrod and the last of the scary Turbos (GT2s excepted). Very underrated horsepower, they made everything bigger (engine, turbos, brakes, etc) and left drivers to sort it all out. I love a good hotrod, so from that point of view it's very much my kind of car.

Technically, on the other hand, Porsche flat phoned it in. The engine would have been outdated in 1984; by 1994 it was downright antiquated. CIS rather than electronic fueling, single plug instead of two, single large turbo, etc. The engine was literally two generations behind anything else Porsche sold at the time, and is not up to the usual Porsche standards- given that virtually everyone else had been running electronic fueling for close to a decade I can't see it as anything other than an exercise in penny pinching.

The car's GT bent means the suspension's relatively floaty- 944 turbos were far more locked down eight years before. Technically there's frankly little to recommend it. As a car it's hugely cool, because it's scary, hits like a sledgehammer, and is a true Porsche factory hotrod.

Meanwhile you knock the CGT as a bit of a parts bin exercise, recouping costs from motorsports programs. Clearly there's some truth to that, but:

a) Look at the parts bins.
b) Realize that the engine and chassis needed to be completely re-engineered for street use, and it's all bespoke.
c) Its heratige is true motorsports, failed or not.
d) Its lineage did not die. The motorsports derived head geometry lives on, and despite the 918 V8s link with the Spyder race car the engine engineer made it clear he went back to the CGT motor as a starting point for much of the 918's.

The CGT was not the prototype for future Porsche sports cars in the same way as the 959, 930 and (possibly) 918 can be viewed. Certainly it did not get the same engineering focus as the 959 and 918, so I can see an argument for putting it a step below them from one point of view (and a step above them from another). I think including the 3.6 Turbo in that list, however, sinks it for me. I can see the 3.6 as historic from a "last of the old Porsche" point of view, but even then...

I don't own either (friends that do) but I know where my respect goes. By a country mile.

You're obviously entitled to your own viewpoint, I just felt I'd share an alternate.

$.02

Last edited by Petevb; 05-20-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Late to this, but I'll chime in with another perspective...

I love the 3.6 Turbo as a true German hotrod and the last of the scary Turbos (GT2s excepted). Very underrated horsepower, they made everything bigger (engine, turbos, brakes, etc) and left drivers to sort it all out. I love a good hotrod, so from that point of view it's very much my kind of car.

Technically, on the other hand, Porsche flat phoned it in. The engine would have been outdated in 1984; by 1994 it was downright antiquated. CIS rather than electronic fueling, single plug instead of two, single large turbo, etc. The engine was literally two generations behind anything else Porsche sold at the time, and is not up to the usual Porsche standards- given that virtually everyone else had been running electronic fueling for close to a decade I can't see it as anything other than an exercise in penny pinching.

The car's GT bent means the suspension's relatively floaty- 944 turbos were far more locked down eight years before. Technically there's frankly little to recommend it. As a car it's hugely cool, because it's scary, hits like a sledgehammer, and is a true Porsche factory hotrod.

Meanwhile you knock the CGT as a bit of a parts bin exercise, recouping costs from motorsports programs. Clearly there's some truth to that, but:

a) Look at the parts bins.
b) Realize that the engine and chassis needed to be completely re-engineered for street use, and it's all bespoke.
c) Its heratige is true motorsports, failed or not.
d) Its lineage did not die. The motorsports derived head geometry lives on, and despite this 918 V8s link with the Spyder race car the engine engineer made it clear he went back to the CGT motor as a starting point for much of the 918's.

The CGT was not the prototype for future Porsche sports cars in the same way as the 959, 930 and (possibly) 918 can be viewed. Certainly it did not get the same engineering focus as the 959 and 918, so I can see an argument for putting it a step below them from one point of view (and a step above them from another). I think including the 3.6 Turbo in that list, however, sinks it for me. I can see the 3.6 as historic from a "last of the old Porsche" point of view, but even then...

I don't own either (friends that do) but I know where my respect goes. By a country mile.

You're obviously entitled to your own viewpoint, I just felt I'd share an alternate.

$.02

can't you tell? I am trying to knock it down pricing wise so i can 'steal' one
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

It really is sublime...

The cold start alone is worth the entry price.

I have been looking and I actually think its a good time to buy. The two P cars I have owned and miss most are my 05 black CGT and my 07 orange RS.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

PLS WORK HARDER, so maybe i dont have to mortgage the house and sell the kids to buy one
Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
PLS WORK HARDER, so maybe i dont have to mortgage the house and sell the kids to buy one

You still have to sell the kids, you forgot the CGT only got 2 seats
Old 05-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

You still have to sell the kids, you forgot the CGT only got 2 seats
I don't have kids... Understanding the motivation I see I was mistaken above. This is a cause I can get behind.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

So I guess I had been neglected this thread, here are some updates since:

Last June my track, Area 27 had it's Grand Opening. So did a 1000km round trip to do the ribbon cutting ceremony.

August 1st was when the car crosses 10,000km

This happened on another trip back to my track, I had to do a charity event with the 918, and so I thought it was a great idea to head there a few days early to do some track in the car first. Ended up running the car on 5 straight days on the track, in 40 degree Celsius heat, that's 104 for you Americans. And no, I didn't drive it all day for 5 days, time was split between it and my ClubSport. But still I think I racked up abbot another 800km track miles on the car.

Yes there was a bit of haze, it was during the wild fire in the Pacific Northwest. The car didn't complaint about the dirty air though.

And the main reason I went up to the interior in the first place. A charity rally. The 918 is the main draw of the event.

The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it