Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car looks great! Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Congratulations on your very special newest addition, Whoopsy! The car looks absolutely stunning, and the photos you've posted are achingly beautiful. Just wondering if you wouldn't mind commenting on the feel of the bucket seats, now that you've had some seat time. I'm hoping you find them comfortable enough for daily use, including not being too difficult to get in and out of. Thanks for a great set of posts. Enjoy in good health, and I hope the delays fade quickly from memory now that your 918 is here!

The seats are a bit tighter than everything else I have sat in, and I already have the wide standard seat. I am not a big guy, 5'10" about 170lbs.

The fixed seat back is a tiny bit too upright for my liking on street driving, I prefer to have it raked another 10 degree or so, but it is great for track driving as I have tons of leverage for the steering wheel.

If I have a choice, I would have prefer the old GT2 folding buckets, that one has the perfect angle for both street and track, as least for my preference.

As for getting in and out, hmm. I think the seats are fine in a normal 911 body, getting over the lower side 'rail' will not be a problem with a thin door sill, but in the 918, it's a bit of a stretch. The door opening is very small, the sill is very wide, and I haven't found a elegant or efficient way to get in yet. I step in with my right foot, then rotate and drop into the seat 3/4 sideways, with the left leg still outside the car, but this is the trouble spot for me, as my left thigh will hit the side rail of the seat and even wit the extra piece of cushion there, my thigh has already bruised, no kidding, literally bruised. Anyway, I then contort myself to pull the left leg in, carefully avoid hitting the door pocket and the carbon sill.

As for the getting out part, it's 'easier'. left leg out first, but since my legs are not quite long enough, my pants will touch the lower rocker panels. Then pushing off to stand up using the steering wheel as an anchor.

These are all with the roof on btw. With roof off it's MUCH MUCH easier to get in and out.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biko
Thanks mate. I am still waiting for you to disclose your spec on the Registry thread
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The seats are a bit tighter than everything else I have sat in, and I already have the wide standard seat. I am not a big guy, 5'10" about 170lbs.

The fixed seat back is a tiny bit too upright for my liking on street driving, I prefer to have it raked another 10 degree or so, but it is great for track driving as I have tons of leverage for the steering wheel.

If I have a choice, I would have prefer the old GT2 folding buckets, that one has the perfect angle for both street and track, as least for my preference.

As for getting in and out, hmm. I think the seats are fine in a normal 911 body, getting over the lower side 'rail' will not be a problem with a thin door sill, but in the 918, it's a bit of a stretch. The door opening is very small, the sill is very wide, and I haven't found a elegant or efficient way to get in yet. I step in with my right foot, then rotate and drop into the seat 3/4 sideways, with the left leg still outside the car, but this is the trouble spot for me, as my left thigh will hit the side rail of the seat and even wit the extra piece of cushion there, my thigh has already bruised, no kidding, literally bruised. Anyway, I then contort myself to pull the left leg in, carefully avoid hitting the door pocket and the carbon sill.

As for the getting out part, it's 'easier'. left leg out first, but since my legs are not quite long enough, my pants will touch the lower rocker panels. Then pushing off to stand up using the steering wheel as an anchor.

These are all with the roof on btw. With roof off it's MUCH MUCH easier to get in and out.
Thanks for that detailed description, Whoopsy. It's interesting that they've modified the rake to be a little more upright in this iteration, and hopefully that will be something one could get used to or even prefer with time. I'm fairly similar in build to you, so that bodes well enough for me. I'm happy and relieved to hear you think entry and exit will be easier in a 911, so I won't have to worry too much about that around town! I hope you don't mind if I quote you over on the GT3 forum, for prospective owners who may be interested in your take, since none of those cars have been delivered with the lightweight buckets yet. Thanks again! Hopefully I'll spot you driving around Vancouver some time! It would be nice to see your car in the metal.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 382 Likes on 150 Posts

Woops,

I agree on the seat angle, this is the one point I am going to sort when I get my car. On the lap belts, once in they have to stay.

I have a question please. Do you find the single piping on the dash in any way reflective on the screen.?

Also many thanks for taking the time to post your stunning pictures.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I can definitely see the green piping on the windscreen. personally, I don't mind it, but someone might not like it.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:19 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with softer padding in the passenger seat, but firm padding on driver's side. (Tried both options at the factory), and also removed the piping as part of the anti-reflection package.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Apolo1
Pro

many thanks, thought that might be the case, ref the piping on the screen.
On the seats, I have gone for the standard seat with no padding, tried both, imv you sit on the seat, with the padding, and not in the seat.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
+1

Awesome stuff Whoop. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us....good luck with your new car!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

My car is at the wrap shop right now, when I get it back, I will take pic of the windshield reflection to let you guys decide for yourself.

I knew it's gonna reflect from the beginning, but I kept the strip anyway for the continuity of the trim from door to door.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Apolo1
Pro

That would be great, I did think that it would look odd after the door piping.....
Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
My car is at the wrap shop right now, when I get it back, I will take pic of the windshield reflection to let you guys decide for yourself.

I knew it's gonna reflect from the beginning, but I kept the strip anyway for the continuity of the trim from door to door.
I kept the strip and the gloss carbon and to be honest the strip is really much more noticeable than the carbon. Green vs. black. You see the strip pretty clearly in some lighting but it isn't the end of the world. I don't mind. You can always matte the carbon and get rid of the strip but aesthetically it is much nicer with the continuous strip as Whoopsy said.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Thank you, that's my view also, it just flows well with the rest, also have many gone for the matt carbon around the dash ect, or the Lacquered version.?

I have the lacquered style in my GT3s and TTS, and in a 760RS, it works well never has a problem with reflection.The main point is that the quality is there to start with on the carbon.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem ( If you see it as one ) is the rake of the screen is more extreme than the cars you mentioned( except the 760 rs , I'm not familiar with that car ) . Having said that I went for gloss carbon , when you look through the screen it's not really noticeable imo . I have no piping to worry about as cars all black in and out
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Much prefer the Gloss carbon, I have driven a car with the roof removed in sunlight and it was not a problem, its just that at the factory they went into detail on the" anti glare" pack.

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it