Sponsored by:

P1 vs 918 same day , same driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1 vs 918 same day , same driver

P1 and 918 head to head . Same driver , same day .
P1 and 918 direct comparison top gear magazine . I haven't seen the issue ( I'm in Europe ) but I just took this from another forum . 918 faster and brakes better p1 hit a higher lateral g spike or sustained is not clear , stig(?) driving :

-------------------------
Top Gear Magazine's July Edition have tested the P1 & the 918 (WS package) on the Parcmotor Castelloli circuit near Barcelona and on the road back to back and some of it will feature on the TV Show. They have recorded their lap times, though not published them in the magazine. Other performance cars have been also tested, amongst them the McLaren 650S which was the fastest apart from those two with a 1:54.5 mins lap time. Both the P1 & the 918 were more than 4 seconds faster on that 2.5 mile circuit. ( 'The Stig' set the times, make of that what you will).

Verdict by Top Gear (journalist Tom Ford): "Which leaves us with the P1 and 918. (...) one fact became clear over Top Gear magazine's Speed Week on road & track: at my level of driving skill, I am faster in the Porsche 918, simply because it's easier to drive on the limit, for more of the time. The McLaren P1 is undoubtedly as brisk, but to access the outer limits of it's capabilities, you have to spent way more time in it, and very possibly take some race-driving instruction. You don't get comfortable with downforce in a week. It also means in a real head to head with a pro the winner will be circuit dependent - they're that close."

The following data was measured during the week's testing:

Criteria P1 918

0-60 2.7 2.5 seconds
0-100 5.0 5.0 seconds

0-100-0 9.5 9.4 seconds
60-0 28.9 26.7 meters
100-0 76.3 71.1 meters

30-70 1.9 1.7 seconds

Lateral G 2.15 1.87

Max Speed
on track. 151.9 153.5 mph
----------------------------
Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More from the original poster , seems like 4wd and 4ws playing big part .
-----------------------

The TG magazine will be in the shops next week (in the UK, not sure of the international edition), will see whether I can scan a few pages soon. I chose to quote the verdict as it best summarises what the article describes in more detail. It seems that the author (and I got the impression he may not have been alone in this view) came away after having spent a week with both cars that the P1 is more edgy to drive than the 918 on track & on the road. He gave an example. He went into one corner (on the above circuit) what felt too quick at 80 mph and thought he overcooked it and lifted off the throttle, something he admits was rather daft, and the P1 spins. He then did the same section in the 918 at 80 mph and again lifted off the throttle to see how that car responds but managed to control the situation without spinning. He went on to take that corner with 95 mph in the 918. He stated that the feedback through the steering wheel on the 918 was excellent, on the P1 the steering feel was more frenzied at the limit and in that sense less confidence inspiring and requiring more time to familiarise yourself with the car and it's limits.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting and pertinent, WTDoom and what you had frankly been saying a couple of months ago on your impressions of these two cars and the Bugatti (and agree on the 4wd and 4ws comment -- plus the additional massive torque -- basically overcomes the additional weight difference which is not near as great as we were first lead to believe). I also think your earlier comments of the 918 versus the CGT are very relevant here. In the end, it comes down to: what do you want a car for?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Thanks for the headsup, can't wait until my issue arrives.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting wtdoom. Caught your input in the "McLaren P1 car comparisons" over at mclarenlife this morning. VERY interesting stuff there...wow.

So, in the same Top Gear test, what other cars did they test? I know the 650S was there, what about the 991 GT3 w/new engine? Did they get times on all the cars tested around the track along with the P1 & 918?

Also, can't wait for the EVO test between the 458S, 650S & GT3. Hope if EVO doesn't publish track times, "citylad" will spill the beans on the numbers.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

The Evo test of speciale vs gt3 vs 650 is available now ok the iPad via Evo app. It's great.

Quick Reply: P1 vs 918 same day , same driver