Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SportAuto Supertest 918 (WS package)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Der-Schwabe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default SportAuto Supertest 918 (WS package)

Notable results were published by the 'sportauto' magazine in their 200th so-called 'supertest'. Headline data:

- Nuerburgring: 7:13 mins: They did 5 timed laps, and only the 7:13 mins time was without traffic.
- Hockenheimring: 1:06:3 mins

- 0-100 km/h in 2.6 seconds
- 0-200 km/h in 7.4 seconds
- 0-300 km/h in 19.1 seconds

The 918 received 100 out of 100 possible points not just because of it's performance but due to it's breadth of abilities.

Full scans here:

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun....49588/page-18

Old 05-15-2014, 09:01 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks.

AMS mentioned it was very windy during their testing as well (which they pointed out, stating the 918 could/should have posted 0-300 kph in 18.1, as it must have posted that in it's lower/less windy time). Remember, they did two runs, in opposite directions. I'm sure this affected the 0-60 mph/100 kph times as well.

Nonetheless, the 918 was a great performer for them, breaking numerous AMS records.

Can't wait for the translations.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,574 Likes on 5,077 Posts

Interesting.
I hope they do a similar test with the P1 and the LaFerrari.

Danke
Old 05-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting Der-Schwabe.

Is Auto Motor und Sport the same magazine as Sport Auto? This outfit is essentially the ultimate number crunchers of the car media in Europe, correct?

Any chance it'll ever get converted to English?

Nice test. Love it. The testing of the P1 & LaF can't come soon enough!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Der-Schwabe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Thanks for posting Der-Schwabe.

Is Auto Motor und Sport the same magazine as Sport Auto? This outfit is essentially the ultimate number crunchers of the car media in Europe, correct?

Any chance it'll ever get converted to English?

Nice test. Love it. The testing of the P1 & LaF can't come soon enough!
AMuS is not the same magazine as sportauto but are part of the same publishing house. AMuS usually deals with the 'run of the mill' vehicles but sometimes ventures also into the performance car category though the tests are less detailed. sportauto exclusively deals with performance cars. What makes their tests valuable is that cars undergoing the so-called 'super-test' is that not only the same tracks are used but usually HvS is the driver striving towards a 'level playing field' in terms of the test results, though I am sure you knew the last few bits already.

I can't help but wonder whether McLaren will provide sportauto their P1 considering the botched handling of the Nuerburgring's lap time, if it was ever set and is not just a combination of sector times...
Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Der-Schwabe

I can't help but wonder whether McLaren will provide sportauto their P1 considering the botched handling of the Nuerburgring's lap time, if it was ever set and is not just a combination of sector times...
Thanks for the added clarification Der-Schwabe...

Yeah, I was being a bit optimistic in regards to the P1 test. The going consensus is that the P1's lap time is just that: a combination of sector times.

With all the hype surrounding that car, and all the promises made, it boggles the mind to think that there still isn't a single lap time on ANY racetrack anywhere still to this day. McLaren can't claim that every racetrack is as dangerous as the Nurburgring.

And don't get me started on Ferrari... We'll be lucky if we get a true independent test on that car ever.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Thanks for the added clarification Der-Schwabe...

Yeah, I was being a bit optimistic in regards to the P1 test. The going consensus is that the P1's lap time is just that: a combination of sector times.

With all the hype surrounding that car, and all the promises made, it boggles the mind to think that there still isn't a single lap time on ANY racetrack anywhere still to this day. McLaren can't claim that every racetrack is as dangerous as the Nurburgring.

And don't get me started on Ferrari... We'll be lucky if we get a true independent test on that car ever.
I fully agree on this..but I´m thinking of something else too:

1) the 918 (with Weissach package) is "only" 11 seconds faster then the GT2RS..I know that this difference of 11 seconds at times below 7:30 is big..but still - not so much "from another planet"..its still about 15 seconds of factory claim..thats big time.

2) Compared to the C-GT: ittested in 2004 if I remember correctly at 7:32..a few years later at 7:27 (also by Sport Auto)..now if you put the latest fancy Michelins on the C-GT...you might gain another 2-3 seconds..

Of course, the car looks good, is very fast, is maybe technological masterpiece..but from pure speed ..Im not impressed.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P_collector
I fully agree on this..but I´m thinking of something else too:

1) the 918 (with Weissach package) is "only" 11 seconds faster then the GT2RS..I know that this difference of 11 seconds at times below 7:30 is big..but still - not so much "from another planet"..its still about 15 seconds of factory claim..thats big time.

2) Compared to the C-GT: ittested in 2004 if I remember correctly at 7:32..a few years later at 7:27 (also by Sport Auto)..now if you put the latest fancy Michelins on the C-GT...you might gain another 2-3 seconds..

Of course, the car looks good, is very fast, is maybe technological masterpiece..but from pure speed ..Im not impressed.

Thanks for the info anyway.
If I may , please remember they only got 1 clear lap of the ring in full attack . Plus the electrics are not really fool proof , there are things you need to learn . Even Porsches record lap was not perfect . Using the e modes better and with the more optimised cars Porsche think they can get 10/15 seconds off their 918 time ( at least ) . Also hvs is getting on a bit to be fair ( no offence ) and he would have had better results if he was educated how to take full advantage of the 918 and it's modes , systems etc.

Now back to the Carrera gt (, you will like this ) . A friend of mine which happens to be a former road car ring record holder ( before vergas in another radical) . He says switching from a normal sporty tyre to something like a cup is worth at least 10 seconds on a a car powerful enough to exploit it . So with the ss ( stickier and 10 years newer technology ) we could expect a Carrera gt to get a similar amount of time off its lap time ( especially as it was always hamstrung by those terrible tyres ). Pretty awesome , so many years down the line , I love the gt .

Quick Reply: SportAuto Supertest 918 (WS package)