918 Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
For people looking for a discount, would you feel better if Porsche had priced it higher by 5% and gave it back to you after a protracted negotiation?

Not saying anything is automatically worth what its price is but sellers can play the pricing game all day long. Supply and demand at the end of the day determines price.

Here's a poll: what maximum price do you think would have resulted in all 918s being sold quickly? This in the context today's market of Lafs, P1s, and other pricey cars like lambo, F12, etc
Honestly, for the 918 the issue isn't the price insomuch as it is one of technology and performance.

There is a reason that both the P1 and the LaFerrari are oversubscribed, and the guys at PAG cannot even fulfill half the allotment for the 918.

As a Porsche dealer here said to me, and I'm quoting:

People are buying the P1 and the LaFerrari. Porsche is selling the 918.
It is a bit odd to me anyway. I don't understand the nuances and differences in the hybrid technology between the 918, P1 and the LaFerrari to say which one is better, more advanced, etc., but it is hard for me to imagine that it is simply a marketing issue that the other two hypercars are sold out and the 918 isn't.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly all true, but the "right" price addresses a lot of deficiencies, real or perceived.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Honestly, for the 918 the issue isn't the price insomuch as it is one of technology and performance.

There is a reason that both the P1 and the LaFerrari are oversubscribed, and the guys at PAG cannot even fulfill half the allotment for the 918.

As a Porsche dealer here said to me, and I'm quoting:

It is a bit odd to me anyway. I don't understand the nuances and differences in the hybrid technology between the 918, P1 and the LaFerrari to say which one is better, more advanced, etc., but it is hard for me to imagine that it is simply a marketing issue that the other two hypercars are sold out and the 918 isn't.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biko
Certainly all true, but the "right" price addresses a lot of deficiencies, real or perceived.
Agreed.

I have no idea what the "right" price would be for the 918.

The "right" price could mean so many things. But I just honestly don't think the 918 issue is one of price.

For people in the market for a car in this price range (e.g. $1M or more), another couple of hundred of thousands of dollars here and there is more of a rounding error than an impediment to buying a car.

But that's just me sitting here counting my pennies and worrying about $5/gallon gas.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit:11358625
RE: Leases

My dealer tells me that PCNA may be authorized to start offering leases for 918s if the subscriptions for the car does not pick up following the current roadshow.
How could leasing this ever make sense? If you've got this kind of money... as far as buying, I'd ask Porsche to pay the taxes on the car when negotiating and see if they'd bite.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BED997
How could leasing this ever make sense? If you've got this kind of money... as far as buying, I'd ask Porsche to pay the taxes on the car when negotiating and see if they'd bite.
Probably b/c leasing increases the potential market (i.e., subscribers) for this car.

It's one thing to buy it for $1M.

It's an entirely different matter to lease it for (as an example only) $6k/month and then getting to write it off as a business expense.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's an entirely different matter to lease it for (as an example only) $6k/month and then getting to write it off as a business expense.
Jimmy John's. Freaky fast delivery.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Jimmy John's. Freaky fast delivery.
I was thinking more like Uber.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Fan Of Porsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DNA cars may not be all that lucrative for dealers. Margins may be smaller because of all the events made by Porsche to generate the interest, and that margin goes down further as special tools need to be acquired to service cars that often find their way out of the original dealership area. They are important to both because it increases the aura and the legend of the marque, and that in turn drives sales of other models.

I would safely say that sales of Turbo S's are more profitable when you add the number of units sold, margin, and serviceability.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fan Of Porsche
The DNA cars may not be all that lucrative for dealers. Margins may be smaller because of all the events made by Porsche to generate the interest, and that margin goes down further as special tools need to be acquired to service cars that often find their way out of the original dealership area. They are important to both because it increases the aura and the legend of the marque, and that in turn drives sales of other models.

I would safely say that sales of Turbo S's are more profitable when you add the number of units sold, margin, and serviceability.
Porsche is not making money off of the 918s, either as individual cars, or the program as a whole. They never intended to.

Porsche uses the sales of the Cayenne, Panamera and now the Macan to subsidize projects like the 918, and the GT3 cars. And for that, a special thanks to all the soccer moms out there who are now punch drunk on the Porsche Kool-Aid.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 05-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01
Could you disclose any details regarding the lease?
I never looked at this thread - apologies.

It was months ago - 250k down.

Believe the payment was around 6 - 8k 4 years depending on sticker at the end option to purchase.

Recall usage was 1500 - 2000 miles per year.

I never went that far into it as the CGT was the goal this year.

Leasing depending on where you live is a nice option.

Sales tax in my state is on the monthly payment vs the sale plus personal property at another 1.5% every year.

IPSE - Porsche is making money on the 918 and so is the dealer - then add warranty service parts after warranty expires fenders wheels brakes.

Dealers who say they aren't making anything have huge incentives - then look how many CGT's have been sold numerous times. Each time the dealer makes an addition big sale. My guess is the average CGT has had three owners.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:03 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fan Of Porsche

Agree - but how many Porsche dealers have certified CGT techs / tools.

It's an investment but the larger dealers who makes the investment - believe receive a larger different discount on parts to help offset the tools plus a lot or what should be a lot of service work.

I wonder what a CGT clutch really costs the dealer.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
I never looked at this thread - apologies.

It was months ago - 250k down.

Believe the payment was around 6 - 8k 4 years depending on sticker at the end option to purchase.

Recall usage was 1500 - 2000 miles per year.
I believe this lease is not through Porsche financial but rather Putnam Leasing. Those are similar details to what I was told by them early this year.

http://www.putnamleasing.com/
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by superquant
I believe this lease is not through Porsche financial but rather Putnam Leasing. Those are similar details to what I was told by them early this year.

http://www.putnamleasing.com/
Could be them or Premier - the dealer specifically said Porsche but then again ...

Might as well open the can of worms about price.

Anyone who is wealthy that has a taste for the finer things in life wants exclusivity.

The 918 may be the best out of the bunch - but look at the 4.0 and ask why a new model is going up so fast. It has very little to do with how much better it is.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

The dealer margin on the 918 is surprisingly little, % wise much smaller than the regular cars.

I have seen the dealer pricing invoice, and they make ~$40k off MSRP.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuvolari612

IPSE - Porsche is making money on the 918 and so is the dealer - then add warranty service parts after warranty expires fenders wheels brakes.
The margins on the 918 for Porsche is nearly non-existent after R&D, marketing, servicing costs are factored in. The cost of a vehicle to a manufacturer is not just what it costs to build the darn thing, esp. in the case of a car like the 918.

Put another way, if the only car Porsche was selling was the 918, it would go bankrupt. Even if it sold all 918 allocations.

No idea what the dealers calculus is like for the 918, however.

Quick Reply: 918 Negotiations