Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leno

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
You kinda get the feeling watching this video (with Leno guffawing at the 918 luxury and conveniences), Jay will Drive the P1 he just received maybe once in comparison (pure speculation/humor here)? Lol

Then if/when he buys the 918 (if he hasn't already), he will drive it on the regular, or much more often, cruising around Cali.

It's clear, Jay is mightily impressed with the fit and finish, build quality, versatility, steering, conveniences, open air ability, engine sound; perceived/expected durability, along with the performance and economy of the 918 (especially the standard version).
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

"Let's say you need to get on the freeway...."

Incredible.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
You kinda get the feeling watching this video (with Leno guffawing at the 918 luxury and conveniences), Jay will Drive the P1 he just received maybe once in comparison (pure speculation/humor here)? Lol

Then if/when he buys the 918 (if he hasn't already), he will drive it on the regular, or much more often, cruising around Cali.

It's clear, Jay is mightily impressed with the fit and finish, build quality, versatility, steering, conveniences, open air ability, engine sound; perceived/expected durability, along with the performance and economy of the 918 (especially the standard version).
It is hard to tell whether he is being a "good host" or if the 918 actually strikes a nerve with him.

That said, it was an interesting video and made me re-consider getting a 918.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for delivery...
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Just wondering... Can Leno drive? Anyone seen him put in a decent lap time anywhere?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Stunning. Mind blowing. Thx for posting.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
Just wondering... Can Leno drive? Anyone seen him put in a decent lap time anywhere?
I believe he lapped Talledega, hitting 180+ mph in a Carrera GT.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by biko
It is hard to tell whether he is being a "good host" or if the 918 actually strikes a nerve with him.

That said, it was an interesting video and made me re-consider getting a 918.
You would think that.

However, I think Jay was very serious and honest, based off his constant redirection of Eastman (The Porsche Rep in the video) promotion of the more expensive Weissach Package car.

Jay had no reason to act the way he did, if he wasn't thinking about a standard 918 for himself (at least in my opinion). Otherwise (if being polite/a good host), he would just let the Porsche rep promote the virtues of the lighter, more expensive car (especially when you can place back the weight saving, luxury/convenience items as he mentioned several times). That wasn't being exactly being a "good host" on Jay's part (not letting the rep promote the more expensive, arguably more unique car), I'd say. Lol

I think Jay, was literally envisioning himself cruising around Cali, and couldn't bear the thought of no AC, less leather, and no Burmester 11 speaker stereo (though he said 'you don't need it in this car, cause the engine is the sound system').

If I had to guess: I would say the 918 DID strike a nerve, cause it's overwhelming in so many areas, including as a daily driver (at least for this type of car), and cruising. Realistically; nobody's gonna take these cars to the race track on a regular basis.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
You would think that.

However, I think Jay was very serious and honest, based off his constant redirection of Eastman (The Porsche Rep in the video) promotion of the more expensive Weissach Package car.

Jay had no reason to act the way he did, if he wasn't thinking about a standard 918 for himself (at least in my opinion). Otherwise (by your potential scenario), he would just let the Porsche rep promote the virtues of the lighter, more expensive car (especially when you can place back the weight saving, luxury/convenience items as he said).

That wasn't being a good host, exactly (not letting the rep promote the more expensive, arguably more unique car). Lol
When I say good host, I don't mean just being nice to your guest. I mean being an "effective host" of your show. You want to promote your guest but you also want to show your audience you are no push over.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by biko
When I say good host, I don't mean just being nice to your guest. I mean being an "effective host" of your show. You want to promote your guest but you also want to show your audience you are no push over.
Gotcha

We'll see (even though some say he already has a 918 on order)?

I don't know? However, I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't get one (if one's not already on order) as soon as it's available to him; especially when the new/official performance numbers come out, or are tested (contrasting with it's livability/comfort).
Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry I can't stand Daniel Eastman, must be the worst brand ambassador ever. Jay gave him so many chances to really promote the 918 in a way that would give reassurance to the enthusiasts watching these shows, and every time he goes off tangent and talks about luxury features and a bunch of superlatives...what a missed opportunity for Porsche.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM
CarMaven
Pro

If you listen to the very end of the video, Jay hints he may be receiving his 918 next week, when he says:

I can drive this all day. But, but they have to take it somewhere else....But maybe you should leave one here......Hmmmh..... (then whispers even lower into the camera; hand on chin with a grin, in what surely sounds like) See you guys next week.
We'll see (whether he receives it next week, a little later, or period/not)!?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I posted this a while ago on the GT3 forum... A while back, about 9mo ago? I was on mulholland drive early morning at the top of the snake enjoying the early morning view when leno pulls up in his CGT. Nobody else there. I hear it coming, that wail cannot be mistaken, and up he pulls, parks next to my RS while yelling out the roof "is this was Porsche Parking!?!". Too funny. He gets out, takes a nice look at the RS, I do same for the CGT (man I want those seats!) we chat for a while about porsche. I ask him what he thinks of the 918. He was lukewarm, but hadn't driven one at that time. His comments were that basically this is where the industry is going, they're being required to by regulations, but that he will miss the connection to the car offered in the CGT and F1. He also said of the newer cars he really likes what mclaren has been doing. I asked him if he had a 918 order and he said at that time he hadn't committed.

He was very honest, and I think his collection shows what he likes. While he's not a 'track guy' he obviously loves cars and driving, for those in socal that do the mountains, you will see him almost every single weekend. And more often than not I've seen him in the CGT or F1. That should say something!

Here's a pic (pack of cyclists opting for photo opp!), he was up there for almost an hour, about 15 mins after he arrived it got mobbed and so did he. He is one of the most gracious celebrities you'll ever meet, chatting, never denying someone wanting to say hi or take a photo. And he definitely loves to talk cars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
goodlife
AutoX

Thank you for sharing this!

Quick Reply: Leno