Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lamborghini chief rejects the idea of hybrid supercars(918,P1,LaFerrari)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Lamborghini chief rejects the idea of hybrid supercars(918,P1,LaFerrari)

Very interesting comments coming from Lamborghini boss Stefan Winkelmann,who doesn't like the idea of hybrid supercars and dismisses it at the moment in regards to Lambo's future. He thinks supercars shouldn't be electric,battery powered or turbocharged. In an interview with Car Advice in Geneva,he basically puts down all the current technologies from competitors,like the 918 Spyder :

“This game is not, let’s say, fulfillable at the time being. And therefore I’m saying as long as it’s possible – in terms of technology – we’ll keep the DNA.”.

Winkelmann thinks that hybrid hypercars can't be sustained for the long term and that they are just test dummies for the companies making them.
Even though they are part of the VW group,he is not interested in this technology :

“In the Group, there is the access. But even the technology outside the group is not possible to achieve – so if I just wanted to put a flag to say ‘this is what we did’, we would have done it,”

He says the company's goal is to continue losing weight on their platforms while increasing natural aspirated power and he thinks the Sesto Elemento is the perfect example of that logic.

Last edited by neanicu; 03-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
Very interesting comments coming from Lamborghini boss Stefan Winkelmann,.... is not interested in this technology : ......” He says the company's goal is to continue losing weight on their platforms while increasing natural aspirated power and he thinks the Sesto Elemento is the perfect example of that logic.
This sounds so pure! Wonder what direction they will go.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:20 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He says so because Lambo doesn't have it. A few years ago, he said Lambos should have NA and single clutch transmissions. Huracan has dual clutch now.

Lambo is slow in adopting newer technology. Ferrari is faster at this.

Lambo needs to lose weight. Huracan is lighter than Gallardo but the v12 model is still a heavy car. It is moving in the right direction but clearly KERS would help the v12
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think he said that, because he has a brain that works well.

..Or, it is a diplomatic way to say that if you buy a 500k car, you do not care about the incidences of MPG.

In addition to that, I do not think that the grand total of all the CO2 transformed by all the Lambo of the World has any influence at all.

If we realy want to solve a problem, I think that we should solve the big sources first, ..and when we can still read that the World Bank is continuing to finance huge Mega power coal plants, I can only think that the regulators have lost all good sense.

To end this post on a positive way, we can observe that some of the owners of "exotics" ..are also Tesla customers, so, I think it is more clever ..to have a pure gas Lambo together with a Tesla on the garage, ..than an "exotic hybrid" !
Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Here's Christian Von Koenigsegg marching the same idea :

Here's the future of valvetrain design :

Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It's very easy to say "supercars should be <this>" instead of adapting and incorporating new technology that pushes the limits of what has been done before. Very close-minded in my opinion.

I love a good naturally aspirated, gas engine as much as the next guy, but the 918 and P1 are perfect examples of supercars that utilize electric power to their advantage in more ways than one, while also striving for weight reduction (carbon monocoques and I believe the 918 has an incredibly light V-8) and also pushing the envelope of the power a NA engine can produce.

One final thought on his statement that supercars should not have turbochargers. Are the Ferrari F40, Jaguar XJ220, and Bugatti Veyron (among others) not supercars?

Quick Reply: Lamborghini chief rejects the idea of hybrid supercars(918,P1,LaFerrari)