Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Steve Sutcliffe on P1 vs 918

He has now driven both and provides first impressions

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/mclar...der-which-best
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 781 Likes on 363 Posts

Hmmm…sounds like the P1 is a better successor to the CGT than the 918. At least in his view.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a feeling this was going to happen(Once all the 'ring lap time hysteria calmed down).

My 2 cents: I went to the P1 launch party and IMHO the car was very impressive in person. You might think it's just a boosted 12C on paper but it looks much different in person. It's all the little details that impressed me the most.

Btw, I think WTdoom has driven both. He can comment.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Four, the V8 engine in the P1 sounds not just sweeter but also more refined that of the 918, despite it being turbocharged (unlike the Porsche's).
Maybe the P1 video's sound is misleading - but the engine note of the P1 is disappointing to me. Guess its the authors bias towards a quiet engine as is some of the other points made. Still would like to see back to back ring times.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

I'm most interested in Sutcliffe's comments on two things:

1) the speed being other wordly even compared to the 918
2) the downforce / 5g situation and the fact that 918 would stay nowhere near the P1 in the corners

if the gap is indeed that big on those two fronts that seems like a big deal. the rest of the commentary (engine sound, interior, etc) seems much less relevant.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake dust -- I am much more in your camp here with regards to engine sound. It's also not that harmonious on the 918 (loud. yes). The CGT's sound on the other hand is just beyond belief (I have seen many people's jaws drop due to its infamous howl and it is so beautiful); while I like many other super car engine sounds (less so these modern hybrids), the only other recent car which is in the same league, IMHO, as the CGT is the Lexus LFA (I know the F1 is also famous for its engine sound). So these qualitative factors also weigh heavily in my considerations.

For example, like being able to remove the top -- I note that P1 does not have such an ability (although it's a nice clear top very much like the Pagani Zonda F). Anyhow, there are many factors that are going to be more important for me than whether I can hold on when I go through the corners... Although Superquant has a point, I am now more in the Jeremy Clarkson school on this (and it is fascinating now to put his review in the context of Sutcliffe's up above). Just the video of the P1 around the Ring looks scary... But if that's what you want the car for, well other factors become less important.

I am sure, btw, Superquant that you have looked at the Mono. Different solution to the same problem (and a lot cheaper in case you crash it).

Cheers
Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Brake dust -- I am much more in your camp here with regards to engine sound. It's also not that harmonious on the 918 (loud. yes). The CGT's sound on the other hand is just beyond belief (I have seen many people's jaws drop due to its infamous howl and it is so beautiful); while I like many other super car engine sounds (less so these modern hybrids), the only other recent car which is in the same league, IMHO, as the CGT is the Lexus LFA (I know the F1 is also famous for its engine sound). So these qualitative factors also weigh heavily in my considerations.

For example, like being able to remove the top -- I note that P1 does not have such an ability (although it's a nice clear top very much like the Pagani Zonda F). Anyhow, there are many factors that are going to be more important for me than whether I can hold on when I go through the corners... Although Superquant has a point, I am now more in the Jeremy Clarkson school on this (and it is fascinating now to put his review in the context of Sutcliffe's up above). Just the video of the P1 around the Ring looks scary... But if that's what you want the car for, well other factors become less important.

I am sure, btw, Superquant that you have looked at the Mono. Different solution to the same problem (and a lot cheaper in case you crash it).

Cheers
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both . P1 write up soon I have to be very careful as the owner does not want to be identified . What I will say is on the roads we used , some of which were closed off his veyron ss was faster than the p1 . Sutcliffe is sensationalist , British and didn't have the luxury of running another car side by side . P1 feels very fast , it's extremely dramatic in the way it moves and sounds. 918 very deceptive , power always there , very planted and smooth .
P1 and 918 make power very differently . P1 faster at top end and possibly on very high downforce corners .
918 quicker in , through and out of corners . Much more planted at road speeds , much better built , sounds better ( sutcliffe talking **** there , p1 hurt my ears , monotone loudness even though I liked the pops and hisses from back like old gruppe b ).
In short p1 will probably be faster on very fast , flat gp style circuits . I expect 918 to be faster on real roads and mechanical grip tracks . The above explains the nurburgring performance of the 918 IMO . it's a road car , p1 much more track oriented .
Electronics , sound system , touring , build quality , carbon quality etc I'd take the 918 all day long but I have raw dramatic stuff already so maybe I'm not the average case . It (918) really is a more rounded product IMO .
Fwiw I'd put my driving level and experience of fast cars at around sutcliffes ( at least ) and 5g corner speeds on road tyres is very hard to believe .
I think both manufacturers did what they set out to do , very well .
I liked the p1 more than I thought I would but not enough to buy one .
Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Hmmm…sounds like the P1 is a better successor to the CGT than the 918. At least in his view.
918 is a completely different concept and product to the Cgt .
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtdoom
918 is a completely different concept and product to the Cgt .
The concept is that the 918 is a fully well rounded, usable vehicle that is accessible and yet will tear your face off in terms of pure performance. And it will do moderate distances in all electric mode. Is this the essence of what they were going after?

In that sense it is very different from the P1 which seems to be a concept of maximum attack track performance.

There is a usability element of the 918 which is very appealing.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

I wonder how much better the P1 would be than the racing version of the 12C? Certainly, the latter, while not cheap, is a lot less expensive to crash. Agree with Superquant on the usability factors of the 918 are very appealing...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Tne 918 needs to sound like the CGT. Period. My 918 intro gave me the urge to get a CGT.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you ever watched the video "Porsche Victory By Design featuring Alain de Cadenet" with the opening scene of the CGT reving and then going on the test track. It's awesome!! I always turn up the stero for that scene!! The engine note is so important for sports cars. The CGT and 918 come by it honestly.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brake dust
Have you ever watched the video "Porsche Victory By Design featuring Alain de Cadenet" with the opening scene of the CGT reving and then going on the test track. It's awesome!! I always turn up the stero for that scene!! The engine note is so important for sports cars. The CGT and 918 come by it honestly.
I have not but i will check it out!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

too bad he didn't comment on which looks better

Quick Reply: Steve Sutcliffe on P1 vs 918