Sponsored by:

CGT Colour Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pezza
Porsche driving experience centre silverstone had a liquid metal silver CGT recently, it was at the 918 demo day in the summer.
Need pics of this...searched but found nuffin'

Pete
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyP
Need pics of this...searched but found nuffin'

Pete
Seen the liquid silver cgt in Porsche Reading's storage room earlier this year. The colour looks smashing on the car, much deeper than GT/Polar silver (although it seemed a bit like a LOT of coats of polar in some respects).
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Keer Kolloft
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments all.

Couple of points:

1) The work would be carried out by Porsche Reading, who are owned by Porsche and not a franchise. Their setup is perfect and they warranty the work.

2) I don't really care about the resale value. I'll respray to whatever is the preferred colour and have it done by Porsche Reading again. Eventually it'll find a price that it will sell for, could be £40k under the price of an unsprayed car, but it will find a price. And I've lost £50k on a car in one year before, so that's not something I'm worried about.

3) I think it would be interesting to have a pearl/triple layer finish. The CGT is a very plain design so I think anything to spice it up a little. I'm even considering bianco fuji opaco (matte bianco fuji)!

4) Wraps are horrible in the flesh and I'd want to respray after removing the wrap due to the knife marks on the car!

Thanks again, thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of the way its put together , spray it back to original at Porsche reading before (if) selling and it will be ok . You wont lose a penny except the spray cost .
Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the car is only factory paint once in its life.

Considered it molested if color changed. Nothing short of it being painted in Germany will make a diffierence.

Where ever the car ends up in time it will always have a blemish when compared to the garage queens out there that have no stories.

Queer for something as simple as a paint job. But alas, History has shown it to be an issue on high end collector cars.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Queer for something as simple as a paint job. But alas, History has shown it to be an issue on high end collector cars.
I must bring up that MANY of the McLaren F1 road cars have been completely color changed (as well as interiors, etc) at the factory, and it doesn't affect an individual car's worth at all. Each time one changes hand the price goes up, there have been two sold for $8-9M in the last few months.
The CGT isn't as rare, but I would think a time will come when color changes, especially when it's so easy, won't matter.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keer Kolloft
Thanks for the comments all.

Couple of points:

1) The work would be carried out by Porsche Reading, who are owned by Porsche and not a franchise. Their setup is perfect and they warranty the work.

2) I don't really care about the resale value. I'll respray to whatever is the preferred colour and have it done by Porsche Reading again. Eventually it'll find a price that it will sell for, could be £40k under the price of an unsprayed car, but it will find a price. And I've lost £50k on a car in one year before, so that's not something I'm worried about.

3) I think it would be interesting to have a pearl/triple layer finish. The CGT is a very plain design so I think anything to spice it up a little. I'm even considering bianco fuji opaco (matte bianco fuji)!

4) Wraps are horrible in the flesh and I'd want to respray after removing the wrap due to the knife marks on the car!

Thanks again, thoughts appreciated.
Given all that, I would love to see one in pearl white, or BMW's "Frozen Blue" colour.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
hopwood
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have recently conceived a real hankering for a CGT and for some reason I want one in Porsche Oakgrun metallic... think that would look absolutely sensational with the Ascot interior. Google oakgrun porsche and you'll see what I mean, it has a real subtle depth to it. Better than the later, more garish rainforest green.

I wouldn't kick a GT silver one out of bed though.

Joel
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keer Kolloft
Perhaps you haven't seen a quality wrap? At least for matte finishes they can be QUITE good, better than paint in every way.

I've never seen one removed but I doubt there are knife marks that amount to more than swirl marks, ie a paint correction would take them out.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 548 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by hopwood
I have recently conceived a real hankering for a CGT and for some reason I want one in Porsche Oakgrun metallic... think that would look absolutely sensational with the Ascot interior. Google oakgrun porsche and you'll see what I mean, it has a real subtle depth to it. Better than the later, more garish rainforest green.

I wouldn't kick a GT silver one out of bed though.

Joel
I agree with you regarding the oakgreen. It was Ferry Porsche favorite color.

The Porsche Racing green would be also really nice with an Ascot interior.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

I too also grew tired of the silver color and since this CGT has been used the car is not without blemishes. I considered a repaint but then that creates the problem of owning a perfect car and the worries associated with getting your first scratch or ding.

A couple of years ago I decided to put my head together with a fellow who creates graphic designs for Porsches and we worked on a Martini Design to cover portions of the car. After numerous exchanges of ideas on graphic possibilities we came up with a design we both thought did the job. In essence the car had a partial wrap that accomplished what I was seeking, jazz up the car and change the look of it without doing anything drastic or spending a boat load of money.

That said .... you either like it or hate it, but since I like it, that's all that matters. Now I see the 918s are kind of doing the same thing so I guess it can't be all bad.

Last edited by Randy K; 12-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:48 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't paint the car wrap it.
+1

or leave it alone.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I must bring up that MANY of the McLaren F1 road cars have been completely color changed (as well as interiors, etc) at the factory, and it doesn't affect an individual car's worth at all. Each time one changes hand the price goes up, there have been two sold for $8-9M in the last few months.
The CGT isn't as rare, but I would think a time will come when color changes, especially when it's so easy, won't matter.
At the Factory……
The key word is Factory. Same goes for a CGT.

Nobody wants a color changed car unless performed by the factory of course.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Wrap it for your ownership and you can remove for time of sale if you choose so.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Randy K -- very cool!!!!! I think you've done a great job at creating something unique but very tasteful!

I have seen extremely high quality wraps in Germany and have a protective coat applied to mine. Either way, I think people should (please!) dress the car up the way they want it so everyone can get more variety and fun with the car out there! (Although nothing wrong with the standard editions). Drive the car and enjoy it -- the way you want! You have got one life to live! What did you buy the car for in the first place -- to be more alive. So embrace it and fear not the dreaded "resale value" implications of paint job (which I highly doubt there are any and if you may even get a premium for having something unique -- the seller of my car did for a very unique interior).

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers, Steve

Quick Reply: CGT Colour Change