Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT , Joint Winner ; Best Analogue Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:37 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of semi on topic....the McLaren F1 that was rumoured to be for sale is...it's going to be here:
http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1997-mclaren-f1/

The rumor mill is suggesting it could fetch $10M as the last one that sold a few months ago went for $8M.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 AM
SBR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The McLaren F1 sold for 7.7 million plus 10% buyers fees at the Gooding Monterey sale last night.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad return on investment. Hope the new owner drives it.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Creator Gordon Murray was there for the auction, he said afterwards he thought it undersold, that the new owner got a relative bargain.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had originally read the iPad version of the story (it's the exact same story but formatted a bit differently) and saw the video posted here (which I think is just as telling or more so than the magazine write-up). Finally, saw the print version of the magazine in a English bookstore here and grabbed the last copy of it. I had stated here before that they spoke most about the F50 and that the Porsche Carrera GT was seemed to be chosen as "only one" of the top 3. I do now believe that: (1) from the layout in the magazine (the placement of the pictures where the CGT is more prominent than from the iPad version and where it is clear as to the different authors on the various sections -- print is still best!) plus (2) the video commentary on the CGT (including how the M600 is the updated F40 and the CGT is the updated F50) and that "everybody loved it", and that (3) the non-alphabetical placement of the winning three (P comes after F and M) in both the print and video format, that CGT kinda of took the top honours here. Número UNO. Not that all of the cars had their own beloved traits, but I would not disagree if someone said the CGT was first among the 3 "winners". It makes sense given the time it was designed (relative to the others except the M600 - more below) and that it was designed and built by the wonderful fanatics at Porsche. The M600 -- although extremely admirable for what it does and, to be fair, it may have been the "fastest" car on these roads -- doesn't hold a candle to the CGT in either design or build quality. Indeed, in comparison to all of the six super cars here, as one of my good super car enthusiasts friends stated, "and it's a Porsche, so it actually works". Well done Porsche for the CGT (and thank you Michelin for the new Super Sport tires that helped bring this car to a new level). Número UNO from some of the most experienced car enthusiasts on the planet.

Of course, some may prefer the newer, more automated type of supercars, but this link below kinda expresses my opinion on these: www.topgear.com/UK/videos/911-vs-lambo. Just watch from 2:45-to-4:15 minutes for some of the funniest Gallardo drivers you'll ever see (although the whole video is entertaining)!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for posting the dropbox link as well as the video - I thoroughly enjoyed both, and the discussion in this thread has complimented them well!

I don't have firsthand driving experience to contribute, but can speak to the passion that the CGT stirs within me. It is always exciting to see a lambo or ferrari or mclaren on the street or to drive amongst them on a cruise... but seeing a CGT gives me goosebumps and instils an emotion inside me that I can best describe as lust. I admire all of these supercars, but the CGT is the only one that puts butterflies in my stomach. It truly is special.

Analogue cars: I had my 3.2 (a very analogue car) on the track for the first time a couple weeks ago amongst a variety of modern sports cars. I don't think anybody had as much fun as I did that day, or worked as hard, or learned as much. An analogue car connects the driver to each moment in a way that the technology in modern cars simply does not allow. Of course, I am preaching to the choir - I can only imagine that the CGT takes all of the emotions I felt in my 3.2 and super-sizes them!

Keep sharing your experiences, this is a fantastic thread.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an exciting read! The article really deepened my appreciation for analogue cars in general. There is a sense of loss with modern cars and technology.

Points I really enjoyed:

Noble trying to catch up to the CGT

AMG engine feeling flat compared to BMW

Steering feel of CGT described as "light, hypersensitive"

Only criticism of CGT was steering wheel too big lol.

CGT harmonious weight of throttle, brake and gearshift.
I don't think you could ask for a better compliment(s).

The CGT is looking mighty fine!

Quick Reply: Carrera GT , Joint Winner ; Best Analogue Supercar