Sponsored by:

Carrera GT rev range report

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
There is one installed, but type 2 over-revs are generally caused by a missed shift or an early downshift. A rev-limiter won't help there.
What I don't understand is why car companies don't do a money-shift interrupt for manual transmissions. Porsche already has the mechanism that could block 2nd from 5th (at the very least) in the way it blocks 7th from 4th in the 991 MT.

We did an article in Excellence years ago about a Porsche fanatic who made his own shift interrupt setup for early 911s with sensors and servos. Was pretty nifty, if a bit crude. A manufacturer could make it work at a very high level, I suspect.

pete
Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
What I don't understand is why car companies don't do a money-shift interrupt for manual transmissions. Porsche already has the mechanism that could block 2nd from 5th (at the very least) in the way it blocks 7th from 4th in the 991 MT. We did an article in Excellence years ago about a Porsche fanatic who made his own shift interrupt setup for early 911s with sensors and servos. Was pretty nifty, if a bit crude. A manufacturer could make it work at a very high level, I suspect. pete
Exactly!
Very good point!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
What I don't understand is why car companies don't do a money-shift interrupt for manual transmissions. Porsche already has the mechanism that could block 2nd from 5th (at the very least) in the way it blocks 7th from 4th in the 991 MT.

We did an article in Excellence years ago about a Porsche fanatic who made his own shift interrupt setup for early 911s with sensors and servos. Was pretty nifty, if a bit crude. A manufacturer could make it work at a very high level, I suspect.

pete
It's an interesting question, why not develop a money-shift interrupt transmission. My suspicion is that they'd say they did: it's called PDK.

Manual transmission development seems to have halted in favor of more advanced autos, and bandaids like skip-shift are the only rare innovations as a result. I agree that technically a money-shift lockout would be easy, but "take rate" x "customers who'd benefit" must look tiny compared to the next PDK. There's probably not much profit in fighting yesterday's war. Unfortunately.

This was likely true even a decade ago. Isn't the story that an automated transmission was originally intended for the CGT, but it was dropped during development?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Isn't the story that an automated transmission was originally intended for the CGT, but it was dropped during development?
Yes.

Engineers had to decide early that the engine was part of the integral rigidity of the chassis. The reason the clutch is so complicated and unique. Recently found one on e-bay. From the date appears Porsche made a run in 2012.
Attached Images    
Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Gentlemen. Just got the following info on a CGT I am interested in buying:

[B][The rev information for range 1 is 4792 and range 2 is 165 and 5 hours since the last occurrence. /B]

I was told by the service manager that the car is fine and I should not be concerned with the minor over rev that took place. I have also heard from two Carrera GT certified mechanics that almost every CGT they have come across has had some sort of over rev.

I would appreciate your inputs.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CGT000
Gentlemen. Just got the following info on a CGT I am interested in buying:

[B][The rev information for range 1 is 4792 and range 2 is 165 and 5 hours since the last occurrence. /B]

I was told by the service manager that the car is fine and I should not be concerned with the minor over rev that took place. I have also heard from two Carrera GT certified mechanics that almost every CGT they have come across has had some sort of over rev.

I would appreciate your inputs.

So the timing of the ignitions is super small intervals. Those figures are minuscule. These aren't revs remember these are ignitions during one revolution. There are 10 ignitions per revolution. I've talked to techs across the country and there sentiments are unanimous. If the engine idles smooth and there's no odd sounds then it is fine. Use the report to look at major over rev events and faults. Other than that people worry a bit too much I'm afraid.

165 ignitions is something like 16 revolutions at 8600+ or whatever rpms. Do the math and you will find that to be an awfully short duration. Rev range one doesn't phase me at all. Just means the dude
drove the car as intended. Rather have a broken in engine anyway.

Go for it!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgt04115
So the timing of the ignitions is super small intervals. Those figures are minuscule. These aren't revs remember these are ignitions during one revolution. There are 10 ignitions per revolution. I've talked to techs across the country and there sentiments are unanimous. If the engine idles smooth and there's no odd sounds then it is fine. Use the report to look at major over rev events and faults. Other than that people worry a bit too much I'm afraid.

165 ignitions is something like 16 revolutions at 8600+ or whatever rpms. Do the math and you will find that to be an awfully short duration. Rev range one doesn't phase me at all. Just means the dude
drove the car as intended. Rather have a broken in engine anyway.

Go for it!!!
Thank you cgt04115. You are always very helpful.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

CGT's wind up fast - these instances offer no concern.

Doesn't appear the driver made a massive downshift error - simply ran it to the tach limit shifted a lil late which does no damage.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
CGT's wind up fast - these instances offer no concern.

Doesn't appear the driver made a massive downshift error - simply ran it to the tach limit shifted a lil late which does no damage.
Just got off the phone with the 4th CGT certified mechanic and his response was that over revs in range 3 and range 4 are concerning.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by cgt04115
There are 10 ignitions per revolution.
5 ignitions per revolution? It's a 4 stroke?

Originally Posted by CGT000
Just got off the phone with the 4th CGT certified mechanic and his response was that over revs in range 3 and range 4 are concerning.
Out of interest, does anyone know what the RPM limits for range 3 and 4 are on the CGT?
Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Talked to the local CGT service guys when I dropped off another car.

To address the over rev's and other common CGT's issues - sellers / buyers who prefer a Porsche PPI prior to a sale it's common for a full inspection that usually leads to an engine out service including clutch at 29.5 to address all issues as Porsche strongly recommends these car be in top condition.

Depending who you talk to - chances are they are going to want to give the 10 year old CGT a proper going over.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 11-04-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If my math is correct 9000 revolutions per minute divided by 60 seconds = 150 revolutions per second.
So, if there are 5 ignitions per revolution, thats 150 x 5 = 750 ignitions per second. So 165 ignitions is .22 seconds. Range 2 is anything above 9000? I haven't heard of Range 3 or 4 with a CGT. I thought there was only Range 1 and 2.

Now I'm not sure, but the 165 number is the total ignitions. And the number after that, is the last time (hour) the event happened. Could this be 1 ignition 165 times, or 10 ignitions 16.5 times, or some other accumulation?
There was another thread I saw months ago, but cant find it now.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:33 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Found that other thread I couldn't find earlier. rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/597259-how-to-read-over-rev-report.html

Quick Reply: Carrera GT rev range report