My CGT won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CGT won't start....

It's been flawless since I bought it in Feb. Had it parked at my company in GA with a trickle charger for months before shipping it to NY for the summer. NEVER had a start problem here and have enjoyed her.

It's been sitting for about 1 month and now nothing even though I had a trickle on it.... Tried to jump start with up to 250amp but all I get are hazard lights flashing really fast and a bunch of strange noises and what sounds like the starter chattering...

Any ideas mates?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I think it's time for a fresh battery.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree. even with the charger the battery can just cook over time. Happens to my boat generator battery.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

And unfortunately changing the battery in a CGT is not an easy DIY..

The battery is located at the rear right under the right radiator.

You have to remove the rear right wheel first,then remove the wheel's housing liner.

Find the ground point for the battery that is located under the rear relay carrier. Disconnect it, then remove the 3 screws from the support strut of the side radiator on the right to remove the strut. Cut through the tie-wraps, then remove the battery holder, lift the battery carefully, disconnect the terminals and vent hose and then remove it through the wheel housing.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
And unfortunately changing the battery in a CGT is not an easy DIY..

The battery is located at the rear right under the right radiator.

You have to remove the rear right wheel first,then remove the wheel's housing liner.

Find the ground point for the battery that is located under the rear relay carrier. Disconnect it, then remove the 3 screws from the support strut of the side radiator on the right to remove the strut. Cut through the tie-wraps, then remove the battery holder, lift the battery carefully, disconnect the terminals and vent hose and then remove it through the wheel housing.
Yes it appears to be that joyous moment I've never longed for.... Any step-by-step photo shoots out there??
Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you planning to do it yourself? It's not easy..

Anyway, send me a PM with your email and I will help you as much as I can.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Are you planning to do it yourself? It's not easy..

Anyway, send me a PM with your email and I will help you as much as I can.
No I'm not crazy, I'll have my 11 year old son doing most of the work, the kid is unbelievably talented. Here he is fixing our home computer..
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had this happen to mine. It is on the Porsche 2nd Gen trickle charger and the car started fine. Drove it to Laguna Seca for the Rennsport event, stopped at will call to get my tickets and when I came out it was dead! I was able to get a jump from AAA and took it over to the Monterey P-dealer. They swapped in a new battery in about 3 hours! and yes the trickle charger cooked the battery.

So the event cost me an extra 650 bucks! But now I only use the motorcycle setting and drive it more..
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
No I'm not crazy, I'll have my 11 year old son doing most of the work, the kid is unbelievably talented. Here he is fixing our home computer..
If he can get the wheel off and on properly, he can probably do the battery!

My battery went completely dead three times since I owned the car. The first time it wouldn't hold a charge and I needed a new battery. The next times I was persistent with a Sears 40 Amp charger and the battery was completely healed. You just need to connect and disconnect the charger a few times if it says "Bad". Then it will charge to 100% and be fine for what's looking like a few years.

I'm not yet sure what drains the battery, sometimes after just a few weeks. If you leave the front or rear covers unlatched or the glove box open, the lights will drain it. Other than that, I'm not sure why it lasts a month and sometimes just 2 weeks.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

im calling child services.

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bojali
... It is on the Porsche 2nd Gen trickle charger ... and yes the trickle charger cooked the battery.
Previous to Porsche getting their battery maintainers made by C-Tek, they would kill batteries by long exposure to excessive ripple current. The filter capacitors finally dry out in the older styles and all one is left with is 120 Hz half-wave-rectified ripple. Lead-acid batteries don't like that and accumulate lead-sulfide crud on the plates when charged via half-wave AC.

Since Porsche started using C-Tek-made chargers, there is no problem with ripple-current destruction. I use and heartily recommend Porsche 955 044 900 54 battery chargers. One can purchase the same general item under the C-Tek brand as their model Multi-US 3300.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^what are you, some kind of electronics expert?^^^^^^

j/k.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W8MM
Previous to Porsche getting their battery maintainers made by C-Tek, they would kill batteries by long exposure to excessive ripple current. The filter capacitors finally dry out in the older styles and all one is left with is 120 Hz half-wave-rectified ripple. Lead-acid batteries don't like that and accumulate lead-sulfide crud on the plates when charged via half-wave AC.

Since Porsche started using C-Tek-made chargers, there is no problem with ripple-current destruction. I use and heartily recommend Porsche 955 044 900 54 battery chargers. One can purchase the same general item under the C-Tek brand as their model Multi-US 3300.

Are we sure the chargers are killing the battery? I just bought 955 044 900 54. It looks exactly the same as my charger from 2004, which was also made by CTEK. They both use the same 3-step charging process. During the maintenance charge mode, the unit sends a current pulse when the battery voltage drops below 12.9 volts.

My battery died using the old CTEK charger. But I'm not sure if the charger did it.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill S.
Are we sure the chargers are killing the battery? I just bought 955 044 900 54. It looks exactly the same as my charger from 2004, which was also made by CTEK. They both use the same 3-step charging process. During the maintenance charge mode, the unit sends a current pulse when the battery voltage drops below 12.9 volts.

My battery died using the old CTEK charger. But I'm not sure if the charger did it.
The old wal-wart style were definitely killing batteries in my garage after the chargers got old. I have had zero issues after changiing to the C-Tek variety.

If one lets the original battery go flat and then tries to recharge it, things may or may not go well. It depends on the size of the lead-sulfide granules that have accumulated on the lead plates. Once they get to a certain size, they are very difficult to re-absorb and cause much deminished charge capacity.

My rule is: Once a battery goes completely flat, I replace it because I no longer trust it.

Quick Reply: My CGT won't start....