Sponsored by:

A couple CGT tire kicker questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A couple CGT tire kicker questions

Been eyeballing some dealer-owned black 2005 CGTs with low miles ( < 2000, one just under 1000) and looking for a sanity check on where the market is for these cars, in addition to comments on ownership history.

It appears like asking prices for pristine looking low mile cars are 400k ish. Seems a little rich based on the message history here from 2010 where prices seemed to be in the 325-350 range for similar.

None of the cars I am looking at are single owner, most have 2 or even 3 owners that put a few hundred miles on each. Is this a real issue to be turned off by? I can see this kind of car being picked up by collectors and enthusiasts and held for a year or two before being rotated, which would lead to multiple owners showing up in the carfax.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 781 Likes on 363 Posts

Sellers can ask what they want, but I don't really see a 1000 mile car as fetching much above 350, however, mileage really seems to drive the price as delivery mile cars can still be close to list.

I wouldn't worry too much about multiple owners as long as each knew how to drive it.

I'd want the car to have its original clutch at greater than 29.5mm and no major negative over-revs history. Documented yearly service also.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Great thanks. A couple cars I am lookin at are being sold by Porsche dealers. Do I need to have an additional PPI done by a third party?

What about the underbody on the car? I have always feared the potential for damage given the exposed carbon. Is this an unfounded fear? I want to drive this car and not feel scared of damaging it at every outing ...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 781 Likes on 363 Posts

Perhaps the other guys will chime in, as I don't feel completely comfortable being the only one giving advice, but both times I bought one, I was concerned only with:

clutch measurement
no paintwork, accidents or tub 'issues'
completeness
annual fluid change regardless of mileage
over-rev history
zen

Others might have a more complete list.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

op , just look for the usual stuff . clutch , ceramics , over revs , service and accident history etc ( like jamie said ).
if you are buying from a dealer ask them to ask porsche to show you a printout of all the parts ordered for the car from the chassis number and then get porsche to put the car through its 111 point check as part of the sale . that should give you an excellent idea of the car . none of these requests are unreasonable when you are buying a car for that kind of money .
i must say its simpler here in the uk as all cgt's , 959's and gt1's can only be looked after at porsche zentrum reading . so all the cars are known by the guys there and its easy to check things .

keep us posted and good luck sir !
Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Thanks - when I inquired about the clutch measurement on one of the cars they told me it had not been done as it costs 4k because the transmission has to be dropped. Is this the case??
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by superquant
Thanks - when I inquired about the clutch measurement on one of the cars they told me it had not been done as it costs 4k because the transmission has to be dropped. Is this the case??
hmmm thats concerning , be careful either they dont know the car very well or are trying to deceive . as far as i know the clutch is read via an access panel beneath the rear under tray . they can measure the gap with a vernier caliper and that gives them a clutch thickness reading .

id definitely get the porsche guys to do the 111 ( or whatever it is ) point check .
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Interesting indeed ... I'll move onto the next one, prefer black anyways!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by superquant
Interesting indeed ... I'll move onto the next one, prefer black anyways!
black ones are faster

( but then again im slightly biased )

Quick Reply: A couple CGT tire kicker questions