Sponsored by:

How to Clutch the CGT

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to Clutch the CGT

I have a question on using the clutch of the Carrera GT. I've raced RSR's, Cup Car, and even my own race car has something like a 4" clutch plate (I'm not technical, so if that doesn't make sense, sorry). This new "drive away" clutch used on the CGT is something I'm not familar with on how it actually works (although using this technique is quite easy unless you're on a hill): You let the clutch out slowly with no gas, and the car rolls forward and doesn't stall (wish my race car would do that while tyring to move slowly in the paddock). Giving gas to the CGT while starting off is a bit trickier and one can definately feel the difference on how the clutch engages differently. So, which is better? What if you're on a hill or slight incline? How quickly can you release the clutch using no gas and not have it in stall? Is using the drive away method best when trying to inch up a driveway (little by little trying not to scrape the spoiler)? Because I'm not technical, I'd like to hear from those who know if one method is better than the other to prolong the life of the clutch (or maybe it doesn't matter as long as you're not doing burn outs - or really reving up the RPMS before letting the clutch out).
Comments appreciated from those who know more than I. From others CGT drivers, I'd like to hear how you use the clutch under specific circumstances.

PS: Love my new CGT! Picked it up day's ago...really incredible.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Hey Mike,

Congrats on your purchase!

In my experience, there are 2 ways to get the car going. The auto throttle or drive away is designed to keep drivers from roasting the clutch and if used properly, should make it virtually indestructable. As such, I get rolling using the auto throttle all the time. It's counter-intuitive to not give it gas when letting out the clutch but if you trust it, you won't stall - even on a pretty good incline. I would highly suggest practicing starts on an incline. Clearly, the auto throttle method is not going to win you any drag races but it will prolong the life of the clutch. The second method is giving it lots of revs (in which case you're over-riding the auto throttle) and letting the clutch out. I've never done this before.

The quickness that you can release the clutch is like other cars - dump it and it will stall. Ease it out, let it engage and off you go.

Auto throttle is best when inching up a driveway. Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You will find that with practise, you will be able to get on the gas as soon as the clutch begins to engage.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM
jay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use both ways on my GT. On hills, inclines, reverse and traffic I use the auto throttle. Giving the car gas and releasing the clutch is fine if done properly. When doing this, there should not be any slippage or drag on the clutch at all. When you get used to it, its simple. The pressing of the throttle and releasing of the clutch should be done in unison. The GT will stall at anything under around 1500 rpm. If you press the throttle, start to release the clutch before the biting point, as the rpms pass 1600 to 1800 rpm you release the clutch. The clutch will engage instantly and you will be going down the road thinking how easy that was. As you get used to it, this is all done in one smooth motion. The CGT revs very fast and its important to get it engaged before the rpms cross the 2000 mark because thats when the slipping can occur(the GT revs very fast and if done improperly you can find yourself releasing the clutch when the rpms are higher than you want them to be). There is no need to slip the CGT clutch at all when using the throttle yourself.

Sloane
'05 CGT #0626
'89 930S cab
'79 930

Quick Reply: How to Clutch the CGT