Sponsored by:

05 CGT silver/black with 187 miles, for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would still like to see some lap times between F40 (on modern tires) and CGT- I think some of you would be surprised. With all due respect, just because you own both cars doesn't mean you have pushed both to their limits, let alone on a racetrack.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM
nicu
Racer

Originally Posted by peloton
I drive both the F40 and CGT regularly, sometimes back to back just for grins.

We don't need yet another comparison, so I'll net out my view:

- The CGT is the better car in every category of driving dynamics with exception of steering feel which the F40 wins hands down.
- The CGT is really only fun driven fast
- The F40 is a blast to drive slow, relishing memories of Enzo's past glories
- The CGT is a modern car, the F40 is a relic...but relics can be a lot of fun!

^^^ what he said with the exception that the cgt is getting a bit long in the tooth...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I drive both the F40 and CGT regularly, sometimes back to back just for grins.

- The CGT is the better car in every category of driving dynamics with exception of steering feel which the F40 wins hands down.
Relic?

R E L I C ? !

Personally, the F40 is by far and away my favorite Ferrari -- I know it's a failing in me, but for some reason, the Enzo just never captured my imagination -- and it's by no means a relic other than in the most complimentary sense of the word.

Of course the humble F430 betters the F40 in simple performance metrics, but neither car could keep in the mirrors of the Carrera GT.

Where the F40 leaves the Carrera GT in its dust is as an investment. And again, for me, while the Carrera GT has grown on me, walking out to find an F40 in the garage is a considerably more appealing proposition. Given the very public collapse of the resale market for modern Ferraris, I think the F40 becomes all the more appealing, but as with the Carrera GT, it's not the owning of the thing it's the operating costs (and risks.)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I would still like to see some lap times between F40 (on modern tires) and CGT- I think some of you would be surprised. With all due respect, just because you own both cars doesn't mean you have pushed both to their limits, let alone on a racetrack.
HAHAHA

Try the race in your head. After all, that is where you live - Fantasyland.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody comment on the driving dynamics of the 288 GTO versus its successor, the F40? That rare 288 GTO always intrigued me.

Good luck with the sale of the CGT!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I am with Carrera GT...the reason I sold my CGT is risk. The CGT is a handful for even the best of drivers. And be really really careful when the tires are cold because the rear will slide out violently(almost crashed mine twice). It is also a pain to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold.

I have owned many p and f cars and they are both great brands with tremendous racing heritage. For me there is nothing better than the 430 scud...everything a car should be!!! If I had to choose between the F40 and the CGT it would be an easy choice...CGT!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Can anybody comment on the driving dynamics of the 288 GTO versus its successor, the F40? That rare 288 GTO always intrigued me.

Good luck with the sale of the CGT!
It is a little more nimble than the F40 but also slower with similar lag. Has a noticeable bit of chassisflex maybe due to the 308 heritage. A old car that looks good but does not deliver the deed in comparison to a new car. Don't like the brakes on both of them. Both are set up for major oversteer and it does come around quick.

As far as the Enzo/CGT "risk" factor. Well if your destiny is making money and making lots of is the story of your life both cars will be a risk to those no matter how many DE's or catered trackdays they have done . Those well heeled customers are the bread and butter of the exotic super high end market but like the gentleman racers of the past, talent cannot be bought and a big ego can lead to serious injuries or death. Fact. The problem with both cars is the incredible ease you venture into triple digit speeds with seamless adhesion, similar than vertigo in a plane when you feel in total control but are on the path of kicking the bucket.

The SLR is vastly overlooked, it is very, very fast but it is also the easiest to drive, even for a relative novice but the law of physics still apply.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
bobafett
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, actually in terms of straight-line performance the F40 and the C-GT are very close.

Another Rennlist member and I did side-by-sides all around monterey back in '07 (you probably saw us all week if you were in town) - and we found that it was a question of gearing more than anything else - everytime there was a gear pull, the lead changed.

The 40 is obviously anemic before the turbos kick in, and then it's silly. and this was essentially a stock car (no uprated turbos, chip, exhaust, etc), but the taller gearing helped given that there's added delay in shift times with the shorter cgt gears. Of course the torque-on-demand of the CGT would help compensate for the gearing.

In any other category, naturally, you can not compare a car 20 years old vs one barely 5 years old. That being said, the '40 was an incredible achievement for it's time. And the CGT offers Enzo performance for nearly a quarter the price.

Quick Reply: 05 CGT silver/black with 187 miles, for sale