Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT on a lift: plates and straps, anyone have experience with this & know whats what

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CGT on a lift: plates and straps, anyone have experience with this & know whats what

A few guys cautioned against ever lifting a CGT unless you use the Porsche-required CGT lift plates, and straps.

I ordered some from my dealer today, wasnt too bad, about 400 in total.
But frankly, im not sure exactly whats hooking into what, whats strapping down what....

i figured someone up here has some experience with the setup . the sales guy thought he knew. said something about the plate , allenbolts securing the plates to the car, and then i guess you have to strap the plate to the lift arm.

but frnakly, that could be 150% wrong.
i attached a photo that he sent me. i fanyone knows whats doing and feels like downloading the image and marking it up showing whats connected to what and whats strapped down to what...or just verbalizing it...would maybe be education for all..or atleast just me.

thx in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 AM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
A few guys cautioned against ever lifting a CGT unless you use the Porsche-required CGT lift plates, and straps.

I ordered some from my dealer today, wasnt too bad, about 400 in total.
But frankly, im not sure exactly whats hooking into what, whats strapping down what....

i figured someone up here has some experience with the setup . the sales guy thought he knew. said something about the plate , allenbolts securing the plates to the car, and then i guess you have to strap the plate to the lift arm.

but frnakly, that could be 150% wrong.
i attached a photo that he sent me. i fanyone knows whats doing and feels like downloading the image and marking it up showing whats connected to what and whats strapped down to what...or just verbalizing it...would maybe be education for all..or atleast just me.

thx in advance.
Your salesman was correct, the plates bolt to the bottom of the car in locations shown in your picture using the allen bolts. The two plates at the front of the car have the eye hook installed and this is what is strapped to the lift arm so that the car doesn't flip off the lift backwards. With the lift points the car is tail heavy and if it isn't strapped to the lift arm can flip off the lift and land on the rear of the car!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:44 PM
mikej9983
2nd Gear

You might want to ask what way they recommend putting the car on the lift. When I worked at the Porsche dealer in my area we put these cars on the lift backwards and used the bolts and straps that Porsche says to use.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 AM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

You also have to first drive the car up onto wooden boards and 3' thick to get the car high enough in the air to unbolt the CF plates and bolt the lift plates into place. At least that's the way my local Porsche dealer demonstrated the procedure. Between that and the need to balance and tie the car down properly, I decided to pass on trying this myself and just let the experts at the local dealer use the chassis lift as/when needed. Hope this extra tid-bit helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:58 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by peloton
You also have to first drive the car up onto wooden boards and 3' thick to get the car high enough in the air to unbolt the CF plates and bolt the lift plates into place. At least that's the way my local Porsche dealer demonstrated the procedure. Between that and the need to balance and tie the car down properly, I decided to pass on trying this myself and just let the experts at the local dealer use the chassis lift as/when needed. Hope this extra tid-bit helps.

Whilst it makes it easier to remove the plastic covers and fit the jacking plates it can be done with the car on level ground. Done it several times.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's a shot of the front-most lift plate with screw-eye installed on the lift:
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2008, 04:21 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Here the techs are pulling up on the front end to make sure the ratchet straps are correctly holding the CGT onto the forward lift points.

Notice the wood ramps to make more ground clearance in order to get the lift arms under the car:
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
cardsrule
Pro

We were just looking at this in class(PTAP) the other day. Those wood ramps are a factory tool with part numbers and everything. I thought it was pretty funny...

Quick Reply: CGT on a lift: plates and straps, anyone have experience with this & know whats what