Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF CTR3

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is you've never owned a CGT... Then again, I'm a little biased.
All I can say, is my lowly RUF Turbo R blew the doors off of my client's CGT... RUF, the only substitute
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For some reason, it looks like a cross between a Cayman and an Audi TT.
Still having trouble warming up to the styling.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
For some reason, it looks like a cross between a Cayman and an Audi TT.
Still having trouble warming up to the styling.
yeah,i see what you mean....... NOT!
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
All I can say, is my lowly RUF Turbo R blew the doors off of my client's CGT...
Can you please describe the above? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 PM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
All I can say, is my lowly RUF Turbo R blew the doors off of my client's CGT... RUF, the only substitute
You must have a faster RUF Turbo R than any of the magazines tested or the driver of the CGT wasn't trying or not very adept at driving.

Any of the tests that I found on the internet has the CGT significantly faster from 0-60, 0-100, 0-150, 0-200 than the RUF Turbo R.

The horsepower figures that you quote in your signature are also much higher than any of the cars that have ever been tested by RUF or any of the magazines so maybe you have done additional things to produce more horsepower.

I also never called your RUF "lowly" I just put exactly the same quote that you used and changed RUF to CGT. I have a lot of respect for RUF and they do a great job of modifying Porsche's. I can't comment on their new car as I haven't seen or driven one. My guess is they will produce a very nice car, but I have my doubts as to whether they will be able to create an entire car that is as nice as the CGT in all respects. It certainly will be much more exclusive and to some that is one of the most important things.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 PM
niche
Drifting

You must have a faster RUF Turbo R than any of the magazines tested or the driver of the CGT wasn't trying or not very adept at driving.
My Ruf Turbo R is a bit faster than a regular Turbo R. It was one of the first RUF Turbo R's and a lot of the elements of the CTR2 were implemented. In fact when RUF in Dallas sold it for the original owner they called it a Turbo R/CTR2. The standard Turbo R has about 490hp mine came out of RUF with 529hp and the previous owner had a few more mods. The last Dyno was 579hp.

Can you please describe the above? Thanks.
From second gear on an empty freeway we nailed it... I think the AWD gave me a little more confidence and grip. Just cool that I could do that against a 500k car. And I didn't really "blow the doors off" but I did beat him. Just sounds better the other way.

I love the CGT, but RUF is a different kind of thing. Perhaps it is the exclusivity. In my case, I've driven turbo 993's and they seem to stand still when compared to my car.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I love RUF and the history that they have. But these last things and the cost is beyond my understanding. I love the 993 version of the RUF turbos. But it looks like to me that you get a 20% increase in performance for a 35-40% increase in price and some questionable styling. Given the last RUF I have seen in person was the 996 GT3 version. It has some wild interior styling. The 997 GT3 version was a wild green color with some strange green piping and interior accents. It was a photo car so I dont know if they all go out of the factory that loud but they make Lambo look conservative.
And like LTC says regardless of what your objective is, it has a strong resemblance to a Cayman. So you have to be completely in step with the performance to accept that. Do you want to pay $400K or more for a car that looks like Porsches entry level offering?
Its not a insult to RUF owners its just what goes through a normal Porsche fan's mind when looking at this car. Seems like alot of Porsche fans think that way as evidenced by these posts.
Regardless I still want a 993 TT that I can send to RUF for a full conversion. That would be my Dream 911 right now. A ruby or arena red.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 AM
nicu
Racer

the ctr3 walks all over the cgt,in fact the Rt12 walks all over the cgt,the Rt12 can't keep up with the ctr3 as i found out on a very wet track last Sunday(the Rt12 was a 4wd,the ctr3 is a rwd)
As for the Cayman styling,that's a obviuosly personal but i find that once seen in reality,all comparisons vanish....
You guys will probably not get a chance to see one quite soon so wait till the magazine arcticles and photos soon

BTW,price is North of $600k exc taxes per current xchange rate
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 AM
nicu
Racer

BTW 2,i have a 05 black 11k km cgt FS,anyone?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
niche
Drifting

Nice!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by nicu
My guess is you would find the CGT is worth closer to its original MSRP than the RUF will be in three years.

In ten years I will bet the CGT is worth substantially more than the RUF, not even taking into account that it sold for substantially less originally.

If you are happy paying over 600K for your new RUF then have fun, but trying to justify it in a CGT forum doesn't seem to make much sense.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 AM
nicu
Racer

Originally Posted by themarsman
My guess is you would find the CGT is worth closer to its original MSRP than the RUF will be in three years.

In ten years I will bet the CGT is worth substantially more than the RUF, not even taking into account that it sold for substantially less originally.

If you are happy paying over 600K for your new RUF then have fun, but trying to justify it in a CGT forum doesn't seem to make much sense.
with all due respect (?) your guess with regard to what the future will look like does not hold much value at present,what is valid are the following facts:
i have just sold a year old Ruf Rt12 at my purchase price
i can't sell the cgt even at purchase -35% !

As for having fun,i do, thx,even more than i thought i would
BTW,i haven't started this thread,someone posted pics of my car inhere....
what can't be justified IMO is the current miserable price level of the cgt,maybe you can justify that....
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by nicu
with all due respect (?) your guess with regard to what the future will look like does not hold much value at present,what is valid are the following facts:
i have just sold a year old Ruf Rt12 at my purchase price
i can't sell the cgt even at purchase -35% !

As for having fun,i do, thx,even more than i thought i would
BTW,i haven't started this thread,someone posted pics of my car inhere....
what can't be justified IMO is the current miserable price level of the cgt,maybe you can justify that....
Well I will tell you what I will do, I will purchase your CGT for 65% of its original MSRP as long as it hasn't been in any accidents and is in good condition.

The car stickered for $448,000 so I will buy the car today for $291,000

Please tell me where to send the money as I am ready to execute this transaction immediately.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:58 AM
nicu
Racer

Originally Posted by themarsman
Well I will tell you what I will do, I will purchase your CGT for 65% of its original MSRP as long as it hasn't been in any accidents and is in good condition.

The car stickered for $448,000 so I will buy the car today for $291,000

Please tell me where to send the money as I am ready to execute this transaction immediately.

the car was EUR.440k so you need EUR.286k,i'd say it's like US$.407k?
smart guy,BTW,no accidents,only sunny driving and not tracked,if you are serious you can PM me
Old 09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I love RUF and the history that they have. But these last things and the cost is beyond my understanding. I love the 993 version of the RUF turbos. But it looks like to me that you get a 20% increase in performance for a 35-40% increase in price and some questionable styling. Given the last RUF I have seen in person was the 996 GT3 version. It has some wild interior styling. The 997 GT3 version was a wild green color with some strange green piping and interior accents. It was a photo car so I dont know if they all go out of the factory that loud but they make Lambo look conservative.
And like LTC says regardless of what your objective is, it has a strong resemblance to a Cayman. So you have to be completely in step with the performance to accept that. Do you want to pay $400K or more for a car that looks like Porsches entry level offering?
Its not a insult to RUF owners its just what goes through a normal Porsche fan's mind when looking at this car. Seems like alot of Porsche fans think that way as evidenced by these posts.
Regardless I still want a 993 TT that I can send to RUF for a full conversion. That would be my Dream 911 right now. A ruby or arena red.
An acquaintance of mine recently traded his black CGT for a black/black RT12. Very understated and very beautiful car.

Quick Reply: RUF CTR3