Clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch slipping?

Anyone ever feel the clutch slipping while accelerating in 2nd gear? I heard a complaint about that and the dealer said the clutch was within spec.

Does that mean it's normal to get some clutch slippage?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the clutch should not slip at all.

I seem to recall reading that one poster here had experienced some apparent slippage under certain circumstances (perhaps very cold), but that once warmed the effect disappeared.

In just over 6,000 miles I have never experienced any slippage and the clutch, per the last service, is only 25% worn.

But in any event, as a rule, the clutch should be comfortably able to take all the car's power / torque.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it happen to me once and was told by Porsche, it can be due to some glazing of the clutch discs.
This can occur if the car is subjected to hill starts where the clutch is slipped some.
Once the glazing is cleaned off, there is no more slippage.
It only happen once to me (in 2nd or 3rd gear I forget which) under hard acceleration and I could not get it to repeat the condition.
At the last service, had the clutch pack checked for wear and it was well within limits.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 100 Posts

I've had it happen once to me. When I dropped from 5th to 3rd and had not taken my foot off the clutch totally when I applied the throttle. The clutch slipped when I accelerated, and once more even with my foot removed from the clutch pedal.

That was at around 8k miles, the cars now covered 14k and no more issues.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping?