Sponsored by:

Current market value for a CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 784 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Anybody know what the highest mileage CGT sold for? The first response suggested $40,000 depreciation for driving more than 2,000 miles (1,000 to >3,000). I'm curious about what happens when the car gets to 30,000 miles, or do we assume that never happens? AS
It will be very interesting to see how VRAlex's car sells.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

that car is worth somewhere in the mid 200's...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by GBGT
You sir haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about and have obviously never shopped the Carrera GT market.
LOL, I think Porsche AG calls Colm to consult on CGT pricing for their board meetings.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
GBGT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Do you own a CGT?

Have you ever shopped for one?

Did you spend 3 years tracking the market?

Do you have data on every color shipped into the US market?

Do you have wholesale (and retail) information about cars purchased and exported to Germany and Britain?

Do you know any wholesalers?

Have you talked to the Premiers or Putnams (Leasing Companies) of the world to see their reaction or risk tolerance for premiums on different colors?

Do you know the service history of cars exported?

Do you have friends who bought and sold new CGTs (black) without premiums, but discounts on both ends, happy on both occasions?

Have you done your homework?

If not, then maybe maybe your knowledge is "slight" and opinion premature.

Let me be clear:

A black car that is right for the buyer is worth a premium. As is a silver, red or yellow one.

A car that is black (or silver or red, etc.) is not necessarily worth a premium.

And, I probably shopped (and thought about) the CGT market more than any person in the US.

Oh! and I do own one. Something hard to accomplish if you haven't shopped the market.

Yes, I bought Silver (nearly bought Red) after polling a number of youthful enthusiasts about which color they preferred. Figuring they would be the buyers in 50 years time when I was too old to drive the car!!

However, I do not believe I have the best color. I believe, I have the best color for me and I hope everyone who has one (of any color) of these cars thinks the same thing.

But, to think your color is worth a premium when it is unsupported by Wholesale data is unfounded. A Salesman who can extract a premium for a black car, because of its perceived value has done a good jog for his Employer , and a job on his customer.

At the end of the day, color is such an individual and arbitrary preference. Yet there is nothing arbitrary about the performance (reason to own) the CGT
No I do not own a Carrera GT, but my father does.

Yes I have shopped for one.

I spent many months tracking and researching the Carrera GT market.

Yes I do have numbers on every color.

Yes I do know wholesalers.

It is terrific that you are also a fellow owner and I can see you must have done your research. I apologize if I misjudged your knowledge of the car.

I am not arguing that black is a better color than any other, I personally think the car looks terrific in silver. I am merely conveying what my experience has lead me to believe about pricing. Gloss black cars are trading for more than some of the other colors.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
that car is worth somewhere in the mid 200's...
I was castigated for predicting $250,000 as a resale value for a car actually used. I'm curious about what the market wills say about the relative value of a car that may need a clutch or other repairs, after the warranty has lapsed. This is understandably a touchy subject for owners with a vested interest, but is the primary reason I have stayed on the sideline. AS
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

A clutch is $17-$25K, and should have no impact on the value other than its cost. The difference being due to refurbished versus new.

However, one should satisfy oneself as to why the car needed an early clutch; and if there were other unintended consequences.

Many of these cars were sold to individuals with more money than driving capability. It is no wonder that Ferrari sells so many cars with the F1 transmission. Some just don't know how to drive a stick, but that shouldn't negatively effect the value of the car to the well informed.

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 11-26-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Left out an important word "no" which changed the meaning!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 100 Posts

UK retail market has a base line of $450 USD for a used Carrera GT - pity us brits!

I'm amazed that in the main mileages seem to be so low, and that people consider adding a few k miles during their custody as sufficient for the outlay.

Since I bought my CGT 12 months ago I've done nearly 7k miles.

I've enjoyed 10 track days including 2 trips to Spa-Francorchamps, run slicks three times and can honestly say the car feels as fresh and tight as ever. Apart from three additional oil changes, a set of plugs and coil packs my running running costs have been restricted to my personal modifications - and tyres!

It took me a good 2k miles to get my head round the car, I'm going to make sure I add at least 5k miles a year and enjoy every single one. Every trip from picking up a Sunday newspaper, 20 laps at Spa on slicks to clocking 200mph on the Autobahn has been sublime!

My advice - drive them, you'll get way more from the thrill of the experience than the $ depreciation.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 552 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by netburner
I know one CGT here in Germany with nearly 150.000kms (around 93.200 mls) on the clock.

Anything special done to this car (clutch, brakes...)?

Samuel
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, I think Porsche AG calls Colm to consult on CGT pricing for their board meetings.
ya gotta love when that happens.....

Quick Reply: Current market value for a CGT?