Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Crash Settled

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:48 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carrera GT Crash Settled

I am not sure if this has been posted here before or not.

This article is a link to the settlement of the Carrera GT crash at Cal Speedway. I know there was a long discussion about this after it happened and just wanted to inform you guys of the outcome if had not already heard.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera

If you feel the thread is not appropriate I will delete it.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I am not sure if this has been posted here before or not.

This article is a link to the settlement of the Carrera GT crash at Cal Speedway. I know there was a long discussion about this after it happened and just wanted to inform you guys of the outcome if had not already heard.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera

Tragic, my condolences to the familes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Why would you think the thread could possibly be inappropriate?

Ben Keaton was a Rennlist member and that tragic accident was posted on multiple threads in multiple forums on Rennlist.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Why would you think the thread could possibly be inappropriate?
Personally I think it is something that all track drivers be aware of, but at the same time due to Ben's connection with Rennlist I also want to tread lightly and with as much respect as I can.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

Big thread on topic:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/253838-cgt-lawsuit-filed.html

From the article: Tracy Rudl also believes that the lawsuit will benefit others. "My loving husband was an innocent passenger in an expensive sports car that inexplicably failed to incorporate a modern, life-saving safety feature."

If memory serves, her deceased husband owned a Lambo Murci, which I believe has no stability control.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, but i don't think he spun it three times prior to the big one. AS
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM
rmrmd1956
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted a similar thread on 6speed and it was immediately erased without a trace. Whatever happened to "free typing"?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey

.........owned a Lambo Murci, which I believe has no stability control.

better check your memory

R+C
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting discussion on PP.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=373570
Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
better check your memory

R+C
Traction control only. No stability control for the Murcielago. This is a fact.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As the article stated, he continued to drive the car although others suggested something wasn't right. He signed off himself on the track-worthiness of the Carrera.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As the article stated, he continued to drive the car although others suggested something wasn't right. He signed off himself on the track-worthiness of the Carrera.
I suspect every CGT owner at one time has spun the car especially if they drove it as it was intended to be driven.

The mechanic who took it for an unauthorized ride was driving it at over 150mph felt that the tail end was a little loose. Nothing more. The mechanic CERTIFIED the car for track events.

Ben was so upset with the mechanic for taking his car on a high speed jaunt without his permission he posted his name on one of the Porsche sites complaining about what the mechanic did. As a result, the mechanic became a witness against Ben's estate.

If Ben thought or was TOLD there was something mechanically wrong with the car he would have NEVER driven it. The issue with Porsche was whether they should have equipped it with PSM and whether if it was so equipped it would have made a difference.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deceased driver real talent was to make money and money indeed he made. But that money making talent only transfered ego not driving talent/skill/mental strengh and focus to operate a genuine supercar. The history books are full of these type of "gentleman racers" who ended up early at the graveyard due to inferior car control and poor judgement. Killing someone else ,like a innocent bystander or passenger, in the act is the norm not exception by those guys with further proof by this pilot commmiting the cardinal sin of being a total noob showing a passenger how "hotlaps" are done.........

PSM my a**, this guy was a timebomb ready to go off at any time. Doing donuts in front of dealerships and "racing" in the canyons further illustrates my point. His inadequate mental make up to see his " a man got to know his limitations" made it not a if but when he would hurt himself or someone else.

He accomplished both.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Zed Homme
Intermediate

I remember reading about this, what a terrible tragedy.

However, I dont quite understand Porsche's liability in this. If the car had stability control and it failed, thats one thing. However, the car didnt, and the driver was plainly aware of this before he started driving. Is it Porsche's responsibility to protect us from ourselves? What about older cars? From what I can tell, the car performed as designed... Besides, the first thing that should ever be done on the track is switching all the electronic nannies off.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Oldnslow
AutoX

Seems to me the suit was mostly BS. Porsche probably settled just to avoid litigation costs/uncertainty of outcome of a Kalifornia jury---and the amount Porsche paid was more of a nuisance figure. The only GROSS negligence I can see here is the track for not moving the barrier back to its proper position. That led directly to the two deaths. The settlement against the Keaton estate was ridiculous, and the Ferrari club was at most guilty of simple negligence in their tech inspection.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Crash Settled