Tire pressure display accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Tire pressure display accuracy

The tire pressure display appears to be 2psi out on all four tires.

Reads 30psi all round when two other gauges say 32psi - anyone else noticed this ?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, TPM on my car is not that accurate either.

I've found mine to be out by up to +0.1 / -0.1 bar at each corner, using a racing standard gauge (Intercomp digital with bleed valve). So what I have done is set the pressures using the gauge, register what TPM says (it's usually 0.1 bar too high on front left, and 0.1 bar too low on the offside rear), and then just use TPM to make sure that I don't have a slow puncture.

I find it very reassuring to have the pressures constantly monitored, given how expensive it would be to run a tyre flat and potentially damage a rim (not to mention the safety aspect!), but given its inacurracy I don't use TPM for actually setting pressures.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan einz
Yes, TPM on my car is not that accurate either.

I've found mine to be out by up to +0.1 / -0.1 bar at each corner, using a racing standard gauge (Intercomp digital with bleed valve). So what I have done is set the pressures using the gauge, register what TPM says (it's usually 0.1 bar too high on front left, and 0.1 bar too low on the offside rear), and then just use TPM to make sure that I don't have a slow puncture.

I find it very reassuring to have the pressures constantly monitored, given how expensive it would be to run a tyre flat and potentially damage a rim (not to mention the safety aspect!), but given its inacurracy I don't use TPM for actually setting pressures.

Kind regards

Steve
Thanks Steve, thats what I guessed
Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The tire pressure display appears to be 2psi out on all four tires.

Reads 30psi all round when two other gauges say 32psi - anyone else noticed this ?
Mine seems within reading error of my digital guage.

When I had the tire shop exchange my air for N2, the TPM read exactly the pressure I requested they use.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure display accuracy