Sponsored by:

Steep hill starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I will just pretend I never saw this thread. I won't tell anyone TB.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the "trick" is to not let off the clutch to quickly and don't touch the throttle.
I live in an area that has many stop lights and stop signs at the top of steep hills and if the car is started using the method below, the engine will not stall.
The method that works for me regardless how steep the hill is, the following:
Right foot on the brake, left foot slowly releasing the clutch, eye watching the tach needle.
Eye sees the tach needle start to drop slightly (50 to 75 rpm)
Right foot slowly comes off the brake peddle, you should hear the throttle make a small blip (and this is important) the left foot slowly continues to release the clutch. Once the clutch is fully released then and only then does the right foot touch the throttle.
I have found this works ever time regardless of how steep the hill is and it is the easiest on the clutch.
Yes, I still kill it on a hill sometimes, but if I do, it is becasue I did not follow the above procedure.
Try this and let us know if it works for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
BMW's hill start assist is awesome. I don't care what your ego is around driving stick, it is nice to have hill start assist.
Its not really an ego issues, its as simple as knowing how to drive a car, and not needing some fancy shmancy assistance.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Shadow
I have found the "trick" is to not let off the clutch to quickly and don't touch the throttle.
I live in an area that has many stop lights and stop signs at the top of steep hills and if the car is started using the method below, the engine will not stall.
The method that works for me regardless how steep the hill is, the following:
Right foot on the brake, left foot slowly releasing the clutch, eye watching the tach needle.
Eye sees the tach needle start to drop slightly (50 to 75 rpm)
Right foot slowly comes off the brake peddle, you should hear the throttle make a small blip (and this is important) the left foot slowly continues to release the clutch. Once the clutch is fully released then and only then does the right foot touch the throttle.
I have found this works ever time regardless of how steep the hill is and it is the easiest on the clutch.
Yes, I still kill it on a hill sometimes, but if I do, it is becasue I did not follow the above procedure.
Try this and let us know if it works for you.
Thanks for the detailed instructions -I think this is the method described by Jay72 before.... the critical bit seems to be not letting the clutch out just that little bit too quickly and not allowing the ECU do its "blip" thing. The heaviness of the actuation certainly doesn't help -I'll keep practicing

Last edited by TB993tt; 04-30-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

As a point of interest I had my clutch measured when the CGT was in for some other work. This involves measuring the distance between the first and third clutch intermediate plates. Nominal is 31mm and the clutch should be replaced if the measurement is less than 28mm. Mine is at almost 31mm suggesting little wear. Encouraging as the car has now done 10500 miles.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
Its not really an ego issues, its as simple as knowing how to drive a car, and not needing some fancy shmancy assistance.
Jeff,

Have you driven a car with such a feature? I ask because I was skeptical about it as well. My girlfriend wasn't very good on hills when we got the 325i, so I thought it would be good for her (which it was). I figured I would never need or use it (although its always active), but I came to enjoy it a lot. I am pretty good with pedals, to the point where I can heel-toe my starts in order to not roll backwards on very steep inclines. Regardless, the feature is one of the few new car gimicks that I really enjoyed for just the ease of driving. I would bet if you spent 100 miles in an equipped car you too would be sold.

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
As a point of interest I had my clutch measured when the CGT was in for some other work. This involves measuring the distance between the first and third clutch intermediate plates. Nominal is 31mm and the clutch should be replaced if the measurement is less than 28mm. Mine is at almost 31mm suggesting little wear. Encouraging as the car has now done 10500 miles.
That is really good news? I assume you use the Porsche 'correct' way of starting as described above versus revving to 1500-2000 and slipping the clutch? When I read about the start assist on the CGT I figured that Porsche was doing it to save clutches more than help drivers. The CGT clutch is slipable albeit not a great deal, so I always thought it was a 'cover our asses' move to keep clutches from being a 5000 mile maitenence interval.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
Jeff,

Have you driven a car with such a feature? I ask because I was skeptical about it as well. My girlfriend wasn't very good on hills when we got the 325i, so I thought it would be good for her (which it was). I figured I would never need or use it (although its always active), but I came to enjoy it a lot. I am pretty good with pedals, to the point where I can heel-toe my starts in order to not roll backwards on very steep inclines. Regardless, the feature is one of the few new car gimicks that I really enjoyed for just the ease of driving. I would bet if you spent 100 miles in an equipped car you too would be sold.

That is really good news? I assume you use the Porsche 'correct' way of starting as described above versus revving to 1500-2000 and slipping the clutch? When I read about the start assist on the CGT I figured that Porsche was doing it to save clutches more than help drivers. The CGT clutch is slipable albeit not a great deal, so I always thought it was a 'cover our asses' move to keep clutches from being a 5000 mile maitenence interval.
I use the Porsche suggested method whenever possible, however if I'm in traffic or coming out of a junction where stalling could be an issue I use some revs but make sure I get off the clutch pedal as soon as I'm rolling. Judging by the state of my clutch I'd say it was fine. Although I bought my car with 7k miles from the USA there was nothing in the history to suggest the clutch had been replaced.

Quick Reply: Steep hill starts