Sponsored by:

Mclaren SLR

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mclaren SLR

There seems to be a lot of discussion here about a variety of exotic cars, but I've never seen any mention of the McLaren Mercedes SLR. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with that vehicle? Like the CGT there are many around at pretty much the same prices.
Is the car a dog or just poorly marketed(like the CGT)?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automatic transmission and heavy, but with good power.
I think of it as a great touring car but not something I would see on a track, (IMO)
Old 01-09-2007, 11:11 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a wolf dressed up to look lik a a clown's shoe- but that opinion doesn't relate to first hand experience. AS
Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
netburner
Instructor

If you are looking for one: try find a "722", it's much more sportier (if that is, what you are looking for, the normal SLR is the better GT car, 722 is a proper sportscar (sadly with an auto)).
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic. I am suprised that Mclaren put their name on it.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM
964ryb
Intermediate

Rennlister Magwheels has test driven one (here is the link to the thread on jabas world http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewtopic...r=asc&start=80)

Also, my neighbor has test driven one... was only impressed with engine and did not like anything else about the car
Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking I am suprised.... Really?

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic. I am suprised that Mclaren put their name on it.
Rennlister Magwheels has test driven one (here is the link to the thread on jabas world http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewtopi...er=asc&start=80)

BuddyG, I have a F430 that's a F1. You wouldn't condemn autos if you drove the Ferrari F1s. The SLR - Heavy.... maybe, expensive...yep, UGLY... mmm, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Some days you get the elevator and some days you get the shaft! BTW... You forgot pretty damn fast!

Why would Mclaren put their name on it? Please, just go to their website and check out the production procedure behind the SLR. http://www.mclarencars.com/cars/slr.htm Plus... Google search the 5thGear video of Mercedes SLR hi.wmv 5thGear and you'll think you're watching a surgical operation in a hospital. You'll freak out!

I sold/traded my 05 Ford GT and my 07 997 Turbo and have one of those "Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic" pieces of crap being delivered tomorrow morning. I wish you guys would have told me about the car before I blew my money on one!!!

I'd be more than happy to do a review of the SLR a few days after I have her but I'm sure AS and BuddyG would be bored to insanity with it so I'll spare them the agony! Apparently, they both know more about cars than the Reviewers (Top Gear, 5thGear, Motor Trend, etc., who gave the SLR fantastic reviews! Magwheel
Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magwheel

. ..You wouldn't condemn autos if you drove the Ferrari F1s. l

But, you would lust after a 6 speed, at least I did!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Paris Hilton loves her SLR. But she's so pretty she'd look hot in a Pinto!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

if autotrader.com is any indication they seem to hold their value better than CGTs.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

"Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic" pieces of crap being delivered tomorrow morning. I wish you guys would have told me about

Now I didn't say anything about it being a piece of crap just Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic. The only real subjective one being Ugly which of course is just my opinion. I was just suprised with how light weight the Mclaren F1 was that they would be involved with such a heavy car. Yes the SLR does perform very well and the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choice. I am sorry if I came across as knowing anything, cause I don't. Just my very humble personal opinion!

And thanks for sharing your car experiences with us I enjoy it very much!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking My very humble personal opinion!

Originally Posted by BuddyG
[BNow I didn't say anything about it being a piece of crap just Ugly, heavy, expensive and automatic. The only real subjective one being Ugly which of course is just my opinion. I was just suprised with how light weight the Mclaren F1 was that they would be involved with such a heavy car. Yes the SLR does perform very well and the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choice. I am sorry if I came across as knowing anything, cause I don't. Just my very humble personal opinion!

And thanks for sharing your car experiences with us I enjoy it very much!

BuddyG, Now here's a 'true' gentleman. I cracked on you because I have the SLR coming today and you were 'cutting down' on my new ride so I had to defend her! Instead of arguing the point more , you just took it in stride and just explained your position. You're OK in my book! Magwheel
Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking Paris Hilton loves her SLR!

Originally Posted by Sharptt
Paris Hilton loves her SLR. But she's so pretty she'd look hot in a Pinto!
Hi Sharptt, To be honest, I wanted to buy Paris' SLR! Could you imagine how great that interior would smell after she, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan were cruising all around town pantyless? Yeah... yeah.... yeah! I know... I'm sick but I'm taking my medication daily! Mags
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

MAGWHEEL, congrats on the SLR and let us know what you think. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking Well..... She arrived this morning!

Got the car this morning around 11:00 or so. Brutal... just brutal! I really love the Crystal Laurite Silver and the Silver Arrow Red leather interior is just 'marvelous'!

But... there's stuff I'm a little disappointed with. Give me a few more days and I'll give you a pretty decent review. There's some things I'm pissed off with McLaren about and this time I'm taking the gloves off and giving you the 'inside scoop' straight from the horses mouth!

Honestly, the car is the 'cat's ***' as I so often like to say but there really are some items that almost any one of us could have said, "Hey... McLaren... what the hell did you do this for?'

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I got the car and glad I worked out the trade for her. She absolutely will be driven a lot more than I drove the Ford GT and almost as much as I would have driven the Porsche 997 Turbo. Meanwhile, everyone take care. "I'll be back!" The Mags

Quick Reply: Mclaren SLR