Sponsored by:

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 AM
f430
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping

Took thr car out last week. About 45 degrees outside, and noticed some clutch slipping in 2nd gear. It stoppped almost as if the it needed to warm up before grabbing completely. Is this normal, or am I screwed on a clutch? (just bought an 04 with 700 miles and I have driven approx. 300 miles)
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Thomas g.
Intermediate

I really sorry to hear this. That just sucks especially since you just bought it. Although I have never driven my car in 40 degree weather (my car is in FL.), I can't imagine such a temp. would contribute to that condition. Although 700 miles seems like nothing, its easy to fry the clutch. I don't know why Porsche never explained the proper operation of the clutch in the owners manual! Porsche should have issued a suppliment at the very least to the owners manual once they saw how many owners were having this problem! To be completely honest, if I was not told prior to buying my car, not to use any throttle and to just let the clutch out slowly and wait for it to fully engage before applying throttle, I would probably have caused clutch damage to my CGT too. It takes some getting used to. Its very concievable that the last guy in his 700 mi. had no clue. My car had its clutch replaced at 1500mi. and I bought the car at 1800mi. I have put 1200mi on since and have had no sign of any slipping what so ever. The interesing thing is that the first owner of my CGT had it replaced under warranty, so maybe there is a little hope there for you too. If you do end up paying for this out of pocket, and I think that easily could be the case, I would seriously consider a remanufactured clutch. They are available in Porsche Europe (perhaps the US also) and considerably less $$. Did you have your car inspected and test driven by a Porsche dealer prior to purchase? I'm not even sure that would have told you anything but it might have. Let us know what happens. Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:06 PM
f430
Track Day

Actually bought it from a p dealer. Guess we'll see what happens.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

f430 - very sorry to hear that.

Could you expand on the conditions that you felt the clutch slipping - at what road speed, engine speed and how much throttle?

I have had my car 2 weeks and all I have noticed is that occasionally the clutch can feel "grabby" when pulling away - I am using the approved no throttle technique, but every so often there is a bit of driveline shunt as the clutch bites.

This doesn't sound like what you are experiencing, I realise, but I have been driving my car in similar temperatures (UK weather) recently and I tend to agree with Thomas g. - I'd be surprised if the weather was a factor.

Hope your dealer is helpful.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
MIKECANIX
3rd Gear

ON THE EARLY CARS THE PROCESS OF MANUFACTURING THE CLUTCH WAS A LONG DRAW OUT PROCESS THIS ALLOWED FOR SOME OILS/CHEMICIALS TO FORM WITHIN THE MATERIAL.THE LATER DATE CLUTCHS DO NOT SUFFER THIS AS MANUFACTURING TIME IS LESS.IF WHILST DRIVING YOUR CAR THE ENGINE FLAIRS UP AND THEN AFTER YOU BACK OF AND RETHROTTLE IT BITES IT IS EARLY CLUTCH IF YOU ARE NOT SENSATIVE THEN YOU CAN BURN IT OUT THIS SHOULD ONLY HAPPEN A FEW TIMES THEN THE OILS/CHEMICIALS WILL BE EVAPORATED IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS SEE THE DEALER THEY CAN CHECK/MEASURE IT
Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
f430
Track Day

Occured while in 2nd gear and flooring it (after the clutch was fully released) it then slipped. It did this two or three times, then seemed to have stopped. Will try again this week.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 AM
josephla
Instructor

Possibly wheelspin?........2nd gear cold tires,600+hp, there does not need to be smoke signals from the tires when they spin? Our gt3 spins the tires when they are cold and i floor it in 2nd
Old 01-02-2007, 08:59 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by josephla
Possibly wheelspin?........2nd gear cold tires,600+hp, there does not need to be smoke signals from the tires when they spin? Our gt3 spins the tires when they are cold and i floor it in 2nd
Carrera GT tires are "not at their best" in cold temperatures. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the glass transition temperature of the CGT's tire compound was very near to 45 degrees F.

I find at ambient temperatures below 60 degrees F, or so, that CGT tire traction is quite disappointing and I need to exercise great care until I warm up the tires by aggressive cornering or accelerating. Subsequent straight-line driving at a semi-constant speed will quickly return the tires to cooler and less grippy operation. It can be a little scary to the uninitiated CGT driver.

One should be able to notice whether the driving anomaly is due to tires or clutch by observing the behavior of the traction control indicator. If the abnormally rising engine rpm is NOT accompanied by a blinking traction control light, maybe the clutch is the culprit, after all. Also, one should be able to feel or hear a little stuttering from the engine if the traction control is intervening.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM
05gt-3jeff
Intermediate

talk to manni viana at penske porsche in silicon valley, he is familar with this concern
Old 01-07-2007, 03:49 PM
f430
Track Day

Just took the car out for approx. 50 miles. Same thing, clutch was slipping just a little for the first couple miles, but after several miles i tried to see if it would slip(several 2nd and 3rd gear punches) and it woud not. Temp is about 50 f and sunny. I would also note that the 1st to 2nd upshift was difficult for the first 10 - 15 minutes.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by f430
I would also note that the 1st to 2nd up-shift was difficult for the first 10 - 15 minutes.
My car has a balky 1st to 2nd shift until the oil temperature reaches normal operating equilibrium. It usually takes several minutes of driving in summer temperatures to warm up, but it might take longer at 50 F.

Did you keep track of the oil temp gauge?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

I've think I've had the same experience with the clutch slipping. In the fall of 2005, while driving in 40 degree temps I accelerated up to about 7,500 rpm in 2nd gear, then shifted to 3rd and floored it. The engine roared and the tach shot right back up close to red-line. I did not hear, see, or feel the traction control come on. The oil was up to temp, so I assumed it was wheel-spin. The same thing happened again once in the spring of 2006.

I've got 3,700 miles on my CGT. No other issues with the clutch or the car.

Please post if you hear anything more.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
f430
Track Day

Originally Posted by 1958 Convertible D
I've think I've had the same experience with the clutch slipping. In the fall of 2005, while driving in 40 degree temps I accelerated up to about 7,500 rpm in 2nd gear, then shifted to 3rd and floored it. The engine roared and the tach shot right back up close to red-line. I did not hear, see, or feel the traction control come on. The oil was up to temp, so I assumed it was wheel-spin. The same thing happened again once in the spring of 2006.

I've got 3,700 miles on my CGT. No other issues with the clutch or the car.

Please post if you hear anything more.
Now I feel better that someone else has had the same experience. Took the car out today for a short fast ride and had no slippage at all.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had this experience - the temperature today is 40F and sunny so I took the car out. When flooring it in 3rd gear around 6000rpm the clutch slipped and tach went rapidly to redline. No traction control came on. Was able to repeat it. After about 30 mins of driving, I was not longer able to repeat it ..
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 AM
JEI-Porsche
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same experience with my 04; it only happened when the engine & transmission were cold. In order for the clutch not to slip I drive the car for the first 10m without pushing it and shift through all gears a couple of times in the process to warm everything up. After that the clutch won't slip. I think it just has to do with properly warming everything up.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping