Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a CGT - to tune or not to tune...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:11 AM
bergmeister
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Redpackage
what recaro seat have you fitted,you can get the seat cushions in the alcantara finish which is more grippy than the leather standard gt seats.Its a option for the gt3rs,the seats look the same!?
I was having a good look at the manthey wheels at the ring in november,look nice and well made by bbs.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:37 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 101 Posts

Berg, Gert Carnewal is on the case to see if the Alcantara inserts will fit. He's got the first batch of 997 seats arriving and will check them.

Also there's a nice airbag wheel on his site which in Alcantara would work well on the GT.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

leonard,
i understand you want to beat an enzo in a drag race.
i don't understand why, and it's not my concern, but why do you want to use a cgt to drag race?
obviously there would be much cheaper cars you can purchase for drag racing that will beat the enzo.
why not instead of paying all the money to mod the cgt, use it to buy something like a venom viper (1000 hp)

hennessey venom viper LINK

that way you have something to beat the enzo in a straight line for around 200k usd and you can leave the cgt in stock form.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My answer:

Not to tune. End of story.

Oh, yeah and get one of those Viper's it will beat anything!

MK

Last edited by Woodster; 12-11-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Bergmeister:

Used the RECARO Profi SPG XL seat, fixed, without the track (increased headroom by about 3/4 of an inch) for the driver only. Its marginally more difficult to enter and exit so left the passenger side OEM with harness (It hasn't been a problem at the track for passengers or instructors). The alcantra finish and rubber shoulder dots on the RECARO seat help vs. the OEM leather. As to the appearance, need to get rid of the large RECARO logo.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Leanardtay:

Unfortunately, no MPS Cups are available to fit OEM wheels. At a different wheel size, Cups are narrower.

Manthey description is on the web site, including rim and tire dimensions. (http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainfra...lang=de&e1=325)
Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

redpackage, have you had the suspension geometry altered at all on your CGT? I'm interested in what improvements there are with a more track biased set up.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
redpackage, have you had the suspension geometry altered at all on your CGT?
Do you mean altered alignment settings?

Could one actually gain any ground by changing the factory-designed suspension geometry? It's already very close to the best that can be imagined.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
redpackage
Advanced

RS Clubport and W8MM:

Stock suspension. No change. The set up is fantastic from the factory. The car has been tracked at Lime Rock, Pocono, Summit Point, Homestead, Roebling Road and Watkins Glen. It's still better than this driver.

The only suspension change I've read about was PCNA lowering the ride height when they set the lap record at Talledega with Donahue and Leno. (BTW, does anyone have video of this?)
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
leonard,
i understand you want to beat an enzo in a drag race.
i don't understand why, and it's not my concern, but why do you want to use a cgt to drag race?
obviously there would be much cheaper cars you can purchase for drag racing that will beat the enzo.
why not instead of paying all the money to mod the cgt, use it to buy something like a venom viper (1000 hp)

hennessey venom viper LINK

that way you have something to beat the enzo in a straight line for around 200k usd and you can leave the cgt in stock form.

I think perhaps that my purpose was not clearly communicated. I am not intending to drag race against an Enzo.... just that it has been a personal thorn in my thumb that the CGT has not been able to beat the Enzo in a straight line. Also, I am thinking that the CGT could have been tuned to a higher level than it currently is and that is what i would like my GT to be....
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Originally Posted by redpackage
Leanardtay:

Unfortunately, no MPS Cups are available to fit OEM wheels. At a different wheel size, Cups are narrower.

Manthey description is on the web site, including rim and tire dimensions. (http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainfra...lang=de&e1=325)
I see. Will check it out thanks! Wonder why they use 18s though instead of 19s. Pity the site does not have an English version.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by leonardtay
Pity the site does not have an English version.
http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainfra...lang=en&e1=325
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Many thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
redpackage
Advanced

RS Clubsport:

No changes to factory suspension settings. Plan to run the 2007 track season the same. Manthey was adamant that for the Michelin slicks they don't recommend any suspension changes so the wheels can be switched back to OEM and you're back on the street and legal. Schlag has run Yokohama slicks with the same 18" wheels but he recommends major negative camber settings that would render the OEM tires and wheels unusable on the street. My recommendation (in order): 1) harness and HANS, 2) seat upgrade, 3) wheels and sticky tires
Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

redpackage, thanks for the comments.

Do you have any data on what precisely the factory alignment settings are?

I can't beleive the standard alignment settings would be optimised for the track and still consider that an element of adjustment may be feasible as I plan on using the car on track more than on the road.

Quick Reply: Tuning a CGT - to tune or not to tune...