Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera Gt prices

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Your buddy must be smokin' crack!!!

Originally Posted by W8MM
Your buddy must be smokin' crack.

Are you talking about a Carrera GT service? Or, could it be Ferrari, instead?

Maybe this is a third hand rumor?

My most expensive CGT service was just under $2,000 and that included a $1,500 set of tires
I agree with Mike (W8MM). I had my 1000 or 2000 mile service done which was an oil change and grease job (?) plus some TSBs done and the bill was around $650 or $700. I think that story above is BS or his buddy just got a royal KY Jelly job! Magwheel
p.s. I love 'buddy stories'..... it's amazing how they grow.... kinda like Pinnochio's nose!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Carrera GT at Auction.
Otis Chandler Auction October 21 held by Gooding Co. had an '04 silver and Gray with approx. 742 miles that sold for $341,000
This is a genuine published sale of a used car at a recent auction.
Considering what new cars are selling for, the used market seems "well supported"
Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Additional information regarding the Chandler car.
The auction company admits it was a strong price for a Carrera GT, but given the facts that it had very low miles and was owned by Otis Chandler, it was an understandable price.
They further said that used Carrera GT's in good shape would be expected to sell in the high 200k range.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcl
At the 250k price point, the CGT becomes very attractive,...perhaps more so than the others in that price bracket.

Damn. I have a brand new 2005 I am trying to sell. Problem is , I need to get OVER $ 400,000.00 for it. I think my best bet is to export the damn thing.

Theo
Old 11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

My neighbor just bought a "brand new" 2005 for $370K. The car had less a thousand miles on it.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Another factor will be competition at the $250,000 price point. While the cars are radically different, someone looking to spend that much would be sorely tempted by the new 599GTB or a 430. AS
Clearly at this price point it is market where the buyer will choose what they like best and buy that, they are probably not looking for the fastest car, just the one that suits them. I don't think a 599GTB or 430 buyer is a Carrerra GT buyer, they are an F car buyer - looking for all that comes with that. To buy a "used" CGT you will be a driver looking for the best driving car for the money (I am not talking about how it sounds when you drive, but what it is capable of).

All are great cars, but CGT's will find their floor and find there way into the the hands of people who can drive (and have some serious coin). Those will be the people who will appreciate them most.

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 11-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 PM
fayence
Instructor

Agreed. You get the GT because of its incredible engineering and the incredible driving experience. It's such a pure driving machine and so surgical in its precision. Whereas the F car buyer I suspect is looking for something else first.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM
dk996tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anothercar
I made the point about two weeks ago, that they can be sold at 335k without the dealer losing money. I got bashed in the head. My point was, the vehicles cost is prob close to that number.

I predict the prices will appreciate in the future, but the best deals are just around the corner.
just wondering how the dealer can sell at $335K without losing money. is there a $100K dealer incentive?
Old 12-25-2006, 02:07 PM
dk996tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
A friend of mine made an offer on a CGT this past week for approx. $240K ... it sold for $260 or so. I was expecting prices like that maybe 18 month out but that is pretty low pretty quick ... very surprising.
well i am definitely in the market for a cgt at $260K. if anyone knows of one selling privately or at a dealer, please let me know. i've originally declined the one i ordered over a year ago, but i got the cgt bug again. and at a savings of almost 200K off of msrp, it think i'm in!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by dk996tt
well i am definitely in the market for a cgt at $260K. if anyone knows of one selling privately or at a dealer, please let me know. i've originally declined the one i ordered over a year ago, but i got the cgt bug again. and at a savings of almost 200K off of msrp, it think i'm in!
Good Luck!

I know of someone who is willing to pay in the low 300's for an '04 or '05 and hasn't been able to find one is good condition at that price. Trying to find one for 60K less isn't going to happen.

I can pretty much guarantee any CGT that gets sold for 260K in the near future has some "History". Do you think all of these cars that have been in accidents aren't being fixed? Once the car comes out of warranty, high mileage, nice examples might drop to that price, but it will still be a while yet.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I doesn't take much damage to consider the car "totalled". It is an intricate piece of machinery which is very expensive to repair. I know, I watch one being disassembled.

Regarding value, like most, I initially did not believe it would siink below $300,000. Today, I am not so sure. The likelihood is it will at least go to $250,000 in the not too distance future. Present owners who like the car won't give a damn and that is as it should be.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 AM
whakiewes
Pro

The CGT faces two problems that Ferrari's don't. For one, its a Porsche. Many of the people, as you all state, looking at the 300K+ price point could just about choose any car they wanted. The problem is that Ferrari's have a prestige about them that Porsches don't. Porsches are drivers cars first, lookers second - function over form. There is probably no Porsche post 1980 that you can hop into and not enjoy. Put a 997TT next to a F430 though and it stands no chance in the appearance catagory. The person buying the CGT is buying it to drive, not look at. Unfortunately it takes someone with enough affluence to have a looker and a driver, or an enthusiast. Many of the people buying these price point cars are new money (self made) and don't value the dollar vs. enjoyment factor as much. Thus they drive to the Ferrari dealer and put a deposit on the most prestigious peice they can find. People that do value the money they have/earn (typically older money) will value the driving factor, the understated looks, and the exclusivity.

That brings me to my second point...exclusivity. Porsche messed up as they have in the past and flooded the market. There was a point in early 2006 when you could just about find any optioned, any model car on a dealers floor. As said in this thread, some cars sat and were sold for almost $100k under retail. Porsche saw a market, and over shot it. Ferrari (only one comparison) does not often do this. They lock up the market with the exclusivity, which in turn gives them a ton of power. For one, they can predict the market much better, or maybe alter it better. Thus people are paying $50-100k over for F430's, even more for Enzo's, and 599GTB's will be a laughing stock. Simply put, you can't get a 599 without sucking some VP's dick. Even the most produced car is sold out. They too will be sold for thousands over retail for years to come. When Ferrari makes a limited production, thats what they do. Ferrari makes up the difference with first right of refusals, selected buyers, etc... Ferrari could make the F430 retail for $350k, 599 $550k, and the Enzo 1.5 Million and people would still have the checks written before the first nut is turned. Porsche doesn't have this for the most part, and hasn't built a strategy for this. Certain cars like 993GT2's which in the US are prized gems, and abroad still carry very high values because you can't find them. The problem is Porsche has become so large (unfortunately) that selling an extra 500 cars or 1000 cars is worth losing some customer loyalty. Its a shame, and not how Ferdiand would have probably wanted it...but in a capitalist society, money talks.

When my girlfriends father bought his CGT, I told him he was going to lose on it. As did he on the Mclaran SLR. There aren't enough buyers with pocket books big enough that will see the value of such cars. A Ferrari (although no better built, not really faster, not to much more exclusive) will always catch the eye first, and be the seller. Unfortunate but true.

For me, I will enjoy a CGT's overbuilt engine, understated looks, understated performance. You can drive a CGT and be an elitest, but not an ******* in a Ferrari (not all ferrari owners are ********, just Ferrari dealers and the company VP's). You can own a track day, but drive home in the same car. You can do 200mph, but cruise around at 40 at the same time. Anyone that knows nothing about cars but wants the premium will go to Ferrari. They will never step foot in a Porsche dealership. The mind is made, and so is mine. I must say though, the F430 is a hell of a car from Ferrari...a far step from the 360. I can't wait to see the 599.

Wes - Doesn't own a CGT, but pulled the $20,000 door panel off of one on my first ride getting in!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:42 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by whakiewes
The CGT faces two problems that Ferrari's don't. For one, its a Porsche. Many of the people, as you all state, looking at the 300K+ price point could just about choose any car they wanted. The problem is that Ferrari's have a prestige about them that Porsches don't. Porsches are drivers cars first, lookers second - function over form. There is probably no Porsche post 1980 that you can hop into and not enjoy. Put a 997TT next to a F430 though and it stands no chance in the appearance catagory. The person buying the CGT is buying it to drive, not look at. Unfortunately it takes someone with enough affluence to have a looker and a driver, or an enthusiast. Many of the people buying these price point cars are new money (self made) and don't value the dollar vs. enjoyment factor as much. Thus they drive to the Ferrari dealer and put a deposit on the most prestigious peice they can find. People that do value the money they have/earn (typically older money) will value the driving factor, the understated looks, and the exclusivity.

That brings me to my second point...exclusivity. Porsche messed up as they have in the past and flooded the market. There was a point in early 2006 when you could just about find any optioned, any model car on a dealers floor. As said in this thread, some cars sat and were sold for almost $100k under retail. Porsche saw a market, and over shot it. Ferrari (only one comparison) does not often do this. They lock up the market with the exclusivity, which in turn gives them a ton of power. For one, they can predict the market much better, or maybe alter it better. Thus people are paying $50-100k over for F430's, even more for Enzo's, and 599GTB's will be a laughing stock. Simply put, you can't get a 599 without sucking some VP's dick. Even the most produced car is sold out. They too will be sold for thousands over retail for years to come. When Ferrari makes a limited production, thats what they do. Ferrari makes up the difference with first right of refusals, selected buyers, etc... Ferrari could make the F430 retail for $350k, 599 $550k, and the Enzo 1.5 Million and people would still have the checks written before the first nut is turned. Porsche doesn't have this for the most part, and hasn't built a strategy for this. Certain cars like 993GT2's which in the US are prized gems, and abroad still carry very high values because you can't find them. The problem is Porsche has become so large (unfortunately) that selling an extra 500 cars or 1000 cars is worth losing some customer loyalty. Its a shame, and not how Ferdiand would have probably wanted it...but in a capitalist society, money talks.

When my girlfriends father bought his CGT, I told him he was going to lose on it. As did he on the Mclaran SLR. There aren't enough buyers with pocket books big enough that will see the value of such cars. A Ferrari (although no better built, not really faster, not to much more exclusive) will always catch the eye first, and be the seller. Unfortunate but true.

For me, I will enjoy a CGT's overbuilt engine, understated looks, understated performance. You can drive a CGT and be an elitest, but not an ******* in a Ferrari (not all ferrari owners are ********, just Ferrari dealers and the company VP's). You can own a track day, but drive home in the same car. You can do 200mph, but cruise around at 40 at the same time. Anyone that knows nothing about cars but wants the premium will go to Ferrari. They will never step foot in a Porsche dealership. The mind is made, and so is mine. I must say though, the F430 is a hell of a car from Ferrari...a far step from the 360. I can't wait to see the 599.

Wes - Doesn't own a CGT, but pulled the $20,000 door panel off of one on my first ride getting in!
I agree with most everything you said, except that the CGT is understated. Whenever I have parked my car next to any other car including many F430's the other cars seem to become invisible. It is rare to find anyone who doesn't like the looks of the CGT. I have to leave extra time whenever I take the car to talk to the many people who come out of buildings to see the car. I actually had a guy follow me up into my driveway of my home to ask questions and take pictures of the car. The only thing that is bad about the car is the many people who try to take pictures of the car while driving with their cell phone. The car has almost caused a couple of accidents from crazy people watching the car and not the road.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:34 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Themarsman -

I guess its all perspective. Ferrari's are lavished for the looks, the exotic italian prancing horse. Everything I ever read on the CGT was how it compared to the Mercedes SLR, Enzo, etc... They never talked about what a piece of automotive art it was. When you look in the engine bay and see the whatever verted shocks, the nearly meticulous carbon fiber throughout, wood shift ****, etc... thats automotive art. I just never felt this was touched on because every review of the CGT revolved around its performance and how it did or didn't compare to the other $4-500k supercars. Thus I said understated. I think what you suffer from is the 'what the hell is that' crowd. They see this beautiful, low, sleek silver over terracotta supercar, and have no idea. When the find out its a Porsche, they had no idea a 911 looked so good now . When I see a CGT, or an Enzo for that matter, I stop to wonder what the owner of that car does for a living so I can sort out how to get one ! The following up the driveway crowd is a little scary...i'd keep a Glock 21 or 23 depending on the day strapped to the floorboard for those guys .

Wes
Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Sigh - where do I begin?

"Many of the people buying these price point cars are new money (self made) and don't value the dollar vs. enjoyment factor as much. Thus they drive to the Ferrari dealer and put a deposit on the most prestigious peice they can find. People that do value the money they have/earn (typically older money) will value the driving factor, the understated looks, and the exclusivity."

Ferrari buyers are new money poseurs? A tired cliche - interestingly, 360 and 430 Challenge and GT cars are starting to turn up more and more often in racing, at the hands of their privateer owners. Not in numbers even close to those of Porsche, but coming on strong.

"Thus people are paying $50-100k over for F430's, even more for Enzo's, and 599GTB's will be a laughing stock."

Maybe not - after all, they'll be driving 430s, and they'll be able to pose to their hearts' content! That's gotta be worth something.

"Simply put, you can't get a 599 without sucking some VP's dick."

I definitely would remember having done that. So, no, that's not true.

"You can drive a CGT and be an elitest, but not an ******* in a Ferrari (not all ferrari owners are ********, just Ferrari dealers and the company VP's)."

Just one example, but my local dealer isn't. Nor are the VPs I've met. Now, I might be.

"Anyone that knows nothing about cars but wants the premium will go to Ferrari.

Not sure I understand about wanting the premium. Now, I know I know nothing about a lot of things, but I know I don't know nothing about cars.

"They will never step foot in a Porsche dealership."

Just visited the one in Naples, Florida, while on vacation. Not sufficiently hard core inventory to hold my interest, though. The Ferrari owners I now would all agree the GT3RS, for example, is an amazing car. I don't understand marque snobs at all. Take an Evo or a WRX, add a taste of aftermarket, and you'll have a blindingly fast four cylinder monster - there are so many good cars now, at all price points.

Quick Reply: Carrera Gt prices