Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under tray $45K, tires $800, Windshield $5,600.If you have the money just do it
Old 07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Default $800 tires?

For a set?? Where?? I am all over that!!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The availability of CGT parts going forward may be an impediment to tracking/off track excursion repair.
No idea how many parts PAG 'overproduced' for future spares inventory.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

each I think right? If you can get them. Tire rack does not carry them
Old 08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I much prefer driving a really slow car at 10/10ths vs a fast car at 6/10ths.

Then again that is one reason I race a 10k 944. If wad it up I am out very little cash.

Clearly the CGT is one of the fastest street legal track cars out there. It will be faster than just about everything. However once you change to the relm of modified track cars all bets are off.

Tracking CGT is seemingly an odd propsition. Yes it is very fast and you could never understand its performance on the regular roads, so the track is a natural extension. However it cost is so high that it is not really effective as track beater. There are so many other cars that are nearly as fast that are virtually disposable (996 Cups for example). Then consider how much performance the car has and driving the car at 10/10 is serious speed and does an amature really need to go that fast? Risk vs reward for tracking a CGT is really odd I think. Probabyl well worth it for 2-3 times year, but for 24 days in a year?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

996 cups are virtually disposable?

jeff
Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by icon
996 cups are virtually disposable?

jeff

Well they look pretty cheap compared to the costs of a CGT.

BTW... I WISH I had the funds to consider a 120k car "disposable".
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Tracking CGT is seemingly an odd proposition. ... its cost is so high that it is not really effective as track beater. ... Risk vs reward for tracking a CGT is really odd I think. Probably well worth it for 2-3 times year, but for 24 days in a year?
Perhaps it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I probably fit the 2-3 track events/year profile. I used to have a number of fast to frighteningly fast track cars. They all took some sort of dedicated transportation or support/crew preparation to actually drive on the track. After a while, it became a mountain too high to climb just to have fun on the track.

I bought the Carrera GT (after selling all of the dedicated track cars) with the idea that it could be used as a multipurpose vehicle. One part sporty back road, top-down cruiser, one part Rodeo Drive troll, and one part track car. I find that it works great for any of the three.

Yeah, of course, dedicated track cars are faster. But, only if they run on race rubber. If they're running DOT rubber, the CGT can suck their headlights out. If they're on race rubber, almost anything can out corner the CGT, even if they give it back on the straights.

But, I ask ya,"So what?" I can drive mine home without a trailer and don't have to pay/manage a crew. And, I'm too old and jaded to want to be my own crew.

Originally Posted by M758
Then consider how much performance the car has and driving the car at 10/10 is serious speed and does an amateur really need to go that fast? Risk vs reward for tracking a CGT is really odd I think.
Going fast down the straights is so easy that all one has to do is hold down the gas pedal all the way. No problem for an amateur.

Cornering at max lat in slow corners takes only a little practice because the car is so forgiving. It can be steered easily with the steering wheel or the gas pedal. No problem for a slightly skilled amateur.

The real problem is going extra fast through really fast sweepers. There is no room for error no matter what car one is driving. This is a place where pro drivers earn their stripes. Me? I just take it easy.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>Perhaps it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Ain't that the truth? This particular "beholder" takes it easy at the track to not mess up his 928, so putting a CGT in the same situation is somewhat out of this world

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that there are people out there who can and will spend the money on crazy-insane cars like the CGT (Or "worse": like the recently revealed P4/5), the world is probably a richer place for it. It's just unreal somehow...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
I love the fact that there are people out there who can and will spend the money on crazy-insane cars like the CGT (Or "worse": like the recently revealed P4/5), the world is probably a richer place for it. It's just unreal somehow...
Thanks for your kind words.

We don't have the total tax load (sales tax, income/wealth tax, etc) in the USA that Sweden has. It's quite a bit less "unreal" here than there.

I'm lucky to live in the USA. Otherwise, a guy like me could only dream about a CGT.

All the best,
Old 08-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, I work in Denmark which is even worse ( 67.5% tax on income above $50K)

When I lived in Denmark it was worse still - DK has a 180% tax on cars... So, first they take 2/3 of your income, then they require you to pay for 3 cars to get one...

Granted, healthcare and education is free, but still, a CGT around here IS pretty unreal...
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
M758
Race Director

Even here in the US it is all relative.
At this point since some of te CGT's have dropped price I might be able to trade my house for used CGT. Then again I don't think my wife and child would be too happy.

Of course if in Denmark I would be really pissed off since that 2/3 tax would hit me pretty badly.

That is why a track a 944 NA I bought for $1200 instead of my 944 Turbo S that I got for 12,000.

Nothing like CGT money, but every one every place still needs to make the same decision, just at a different level. Come to think of if I have wondered if it false economy to have trailer only track vs a nice street moslty occasional track car of more value. I guess like Mike it all depends on much I want to deal with prep. At this point in my life at 32 I am happy to do so. Maybe in 5-10 or 20 years I would just rather do things really simple. So really all of P-car owners are tring to decide the same thing, just some are in the relm of 1000's, other 10,000's and still other 100,000's.
That is one thing I love about Porsche and Porsche owners. In spite of how much/or little $$ we have we still are thinking the same things.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
Granted, healthcare and education is free, but still, a CGT around here IS pretty unreal...
Not to be the least bit argumentitive, they are certainly not "free". You are paying dearly whether you want to or not, or use it or not.

This is the Social(ist) part of "Social Democracy". Heavy on the "social" lighter on the "Democracy"

Again, I didn't mean to debate the value of one country's system vs. another, I just bristle however when I hear about "free" services that are not.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed, "Free" as in "already paid for"... I Only included it to avoid having someone else point it out
Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JoeM758,

That was an amazing analysis!!!
thank you, and yes I find at the Porsche Club level, locally,
we all make decisions based upon a multitide of things other than money:
garage space available, need for speed on street vs track, ability to bamboozle
wife into thinking "X idea" (plug in your own want) is a great one, and funds
available after appeasing family...
I have a 996TT street car that I track occasionally and dream of a dedicated track car.

Marty k

Quick Reply: OK, seriously