Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Carrera GT-Buying and Driving It!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Better a live!

Originally Posted by Colm
No need to to be sorry, better a live coward than a dead hero!
Thanks Colm, Glad to have you on my side! I've seen too many guys who are taking foolish chances going crazy with their cars like it's their last time ever in a car. Never really quite understood 'daredevils' of any kind anyway. Why give your life away just to show you have big 'gonads'? I guess some people just love to entertain regardless of the risk! Michael
Old 04-20-2006, 02:48 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
well, you're obviously a car enthusiast! But I get the impression you aren't really a Porsche enthusiast - it sounds like you didn't read or know much about the car before you bought it? I must say, that's a first on Rennlist!

Anyway, enjoy your car and be careful.
since when does an f40 qualify as a porsche???
don't be calling into question someone elses porsche allegiance you traitor!

kidding aside, michael's not as hardcore as yourself but he most definately IS a porsche enthusiast!
you gotta admit your comment is a little on the snobby side!

michael, don't misunderstand pcar! i'm sure he is one the ones that saves his speed for the track!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write up - photos and insight! Best wishes
Old 04-20-2006, 12:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by magwheel
Why don't you give me the definition of a Porsche enthusiast and how it differs from a car enthusiast. I read all I could about the CGT on various web site articles and in a few magazines. Just exactly what didn't I know about the car? I've had several Porsches in my life..... didn't realize I had to be an expert before I was able to buy and own the CGT.

No..... I'm not an expert race car driver but do you have to break the sound barrier to enjoy a 'supercar'? Can't you just own one to enjoy the technological achievement of that manufacturer?

I've read a lots of posts where guys thrash the hell out of their cars and get their rocks off going 150-200 mph. That ain't my bag! Sorry I disappointed you!
Woah there, I think you took that the wrong way. I was just saying that judging by your post, you were not as knowledgable about the car as most CGT buyers have been. Most of them have been following the design, development, and every minute detail of the car prior to production - it seemed like you were only "sold" on the car once you saw it in person.

By the way, I think you're smart to refrain from going that fast on the street... best left for the track, imho.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by icon
since when does an f40 qualify as a porsche???
don't be calling into question someone elses porsche allegiance you traitor!

kidding aside, michael's not as hardcore as yourself but he most definately IS a porsche enthusiast!
you gotta admit your comment is a little on the snobby side!

michael, don't misunderstand pcar! i'm sure he is one the ones that saves his speed for the track!
haha you caught me on the F40 thing

my comment wasn't intended to be snobby, although reading it again it might have come across that way especially to those who don't know me!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Wink Misunderstanding

Originally Posted by pcar964
Woah there, I think you took that the wrong way. I was just saying that judging by your post, you were not as knowledgable about the car as most CGT buyers have been. Most of them have been following the design, development, and every minute detail of the car prior to production - it seemed like you were only "sold" on the car once you saw it in person.

By the way, I think you're smart to refrain from going that fast on the street... best left for the track, imho.
Misunderstanding accepted Greg. As many posts as I've read, it didn't come across to me that a lot of the buyers of the CGT 'studied' the car up and down. In fact, I wouldn't think that many 'supercar' buyers don't do that. I would imagine they read some car magazine reviews, nowdays some web reviews, see and look the car over in person, get completely turned on and decide to buy the car that way. I could be wrong. Michael
Old 04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Misunderstanding accepted Greg. As many posts as I've read, it didn't come across to me that a lot of the buyers of the CGT 'studied' the car up and down. In fact, I wouldn't think that many 'supercar' buyers don't do that. I would imagine they read some car magazine reviews, nowdays some web reviews, see and look the car over in person, get completely turned on and decide to buy the car that way. I could be wrong. Michael
Either way, you made a good choice, the CGT is an awesome Porsche. You mentioned you had a GT2, did you ever track it? Any intentions to track the CGT? As awesome as it must be to cruise around in one of those things, I can imagine how frustrating it would be!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 PM
whitefox
Banned

Just out of curiosity why do you have so many supercars? It almost seems like a waste, but then again I have never had the opportunity to drive one, much less own one.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

magwheel,
thanks for the great write-up. Made me relive my own feelings when buying my first pcar. Great collection of cars - keep enjoying them!!
cheers,
Chris
Old 04-20-2006, 05:09 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you trade in the GT2?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful, beautiful, car!! I enjoyed the write up as well I like seeing the Carrera GT dirty-it shows that you're using it and enjoying it -- not keeping it behind a glass wall in a museum.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Unhappy Bummer!

Originally Posted by gmsracing
Did you trade in the GT2?
Yeah, it went to a guy in California. Been trying to find him and see how he's enjoying the car. Was really sad to see it go. I loved that GT2! Michael
Old 04-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 803 Likes on 369 Posts

Great write-up. Of all your cars, I'd take the CGT! The car I lust for...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael do you have 6 FOP stickers or 6 Valentine 1's or both ? You should exhibit a couple of your cars at:

http://www.stanhywet.org/dynamic/promo2.aspx

plus plenty of fun drives/ roads nearby in the Cuyahoga Valley.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Colm, Glad to have you on my side! I've seen too many guys who are taking foolish chances going crazy with their cars like it's their last time ever in a car. Never really quite understood 'daredevils' of any kind anyway. Why give your life away just to show you have big 'gonads'? I guess some people just love to entertain regardless of the risk! Michael
Well written! More people should read this before they start their engines.

Quick Reply: Porsche Carrera GT-Buying and Driving It!