Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't leave the key in the ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:06 AM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't leave the key in the ignition!

I went to drive my car yesterday after it sat for a week and the battery was completely dead. I left the key in the ignition in the off position but something must of still been drawing power.

I tried hooking up the charger that Porsche provides to trickle charge the car through the lighter adapter, but it wouldn't take a charge the car enough after sitting for 12 hours to open the engine cover.

So I decided to pull out the manual to figure out how to get the engine cover up, I still am sore from crawling under the dash to hook up the jumper cables! It turns out that there isn't a manual release to open the cover you need to hook up power through the fuse panel to open the cover, then you can hook up jumper cables to start or charge the car.

Just thought I would give a heads up to the owners so you don't have to waste an hour of your time going through this.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:18 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Those jump-start batteries that are now sold everywhere are kind of a must for us. They really simplify the process. AS
Old 04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by my tech that the car should always be locked when you park it...that instantly shuts down all electronics and conserves the battery...otherwise, some electronics stay powered up for 8 hours and it place additional load on the battery...Also, was instructed to leave the charger on for any period longer than 5 days...Just FYI

Quick Reply: Don't leave the key in the ignition!