Sponsored by:

Very stiff gearbox when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very stiff gearbox when cold

My car is really reluctant to go into second gear until the transmission warms up a bit - maybe after three miles. If the weather is cold (not often in Houston) it obviously takes a little longer. The issue seems specific to second gear - the higher gears are ok. I've tried double clutching, but this doesn't seem to ease things up. I suspect my car is not unusual - before buying mine I drove one at the dealership and noticed that it was "notchy" going into second when I began the drive. So, I'm just wondering if everyone else notices the same situation. I bet this is a pain in colder climates.

I should add - this gearbox is fantastic once everything is nice and hot.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Leave your CGT parked in second gear and see if that helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:36 AM
rafo
8th Gear

I have the same situation. I let it idle in the garage 3-4 minutes and that usually is enough warm up time where I can drive without having to double clutch or give too much force to shift. I find double clutch helps significantly when i do turn it on and go while cold -- but still it very reluctant.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

normal when cold, if you must leave right away, be gentle with your first couple of shifts....
Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold tranny

Ditto! I did this same post on another forum, can't remember where. Those few suggestions seem interesting to try. I've found granny shifting and reving her up slightly seems to help a little. I too thought I had a problem maybe with my car only! Fantastic car....isn't it?
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2006, 12:06 PM
tdf360
Pro

FWIW, I have exactly the same thing on my F430 (and my 360 before I sold it). Perhaps a mid-engine issue. From what I hear, all mid engine Ferraris have this characteristic. I just skip 2nd and shift directly to 3rd until it warms up, which is on the order of 3 min or so.

Gary
Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by magwheel
Ditto! I did this same post on another forum, can't remember where. Those few suggestions seem interesting to try. I've found granny shifting and reving her up slightly seems to help a little. I too thought I had a problem maybe with my car only! Fantastic car....isn't it?
I love your plate. So appropriate for the CGT.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Default Are you kiddin?

Originally Posted by Nick
I love your plate. So appropriate for the CGT.
OMG Does this mean were friends now?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

OMG Does this mean were friends now?
I won't have it any other way.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Its the new Rennlist, We all love each other...

Great Plates...Terminator!!

Marty K.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Default Avatar

Originally Posted by icon
michael,
can't get avatar uploaded???
Jeff, I have this physical problem called 'Head up my ***-i-tis!" I don't know where you put it. What the hell is the matter with me? Is it my age or worse?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Cool CGT avatar

Phew!!! I knew how to do that but I thought you meant you put them in the avatar selection pages! I asked myself how could he do that? I kept searching and couldn't see squat from those small pics and then I had this revelation come to me that you might have sent me some avatar pics. Went back to my old mail and checked and sure enough, there they were. Thanks a lot Jeff!

p.s. You wouldn't wanna do my Ford GT for me would you? I try under their avatar change area but it keeps saying they're too big. I keep trying to reduce the pics in Photoshop, but the pics seem to keep staying at 48kb no matter how many times I reduce them and their maximun size is 24kb. Again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

I'll send a pic...... if you have the time I would appreciate it. Sincerely, Michael
Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I keep trying to reduce the pics in Photoshop, but the pics seem to keep staying at 48kb no matter how many times I reduce them and their maximun size is 24kb. Again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
After you mess with the pic in photoshop, select "save for web" from the drop-down File menu. When saving for the web, adjust the "Quality" slider to a lower value until the kbits go low enough to post.

Quick Reply: Very stiff gearbox when cold