Sponsored by:

Carrera GT's into secondary market?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
i wondered about that, because i had always heard that they had cut production from 1500 to 1250. but then this poorly worded press release came out:

One Porsche customer in the United Arab Emirates has received a special present this year:
Stuttgart-based Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG has delivered to the customer a Carrera GT bearing the number 1,111.
With this milestone, the 612 hp, 330 km/h Carrera GT is now the most successful high-performance sports car of all time.
The last unit of this exceptional vehicle will leave the Leipzig plant in April 2006.

the way it reads the 1,111th unit could be construed as the last unit that was being delivered in april 2006!
thanks for the clarification!

do you know if any more of the remaining units are headed to the u.s.a.???
That PR is really misleading. And how can they say it's "the most successful high-performance sports car of all time"? By what measure? There were more F40s made. There were faster cars made. Maybe it's successful because it's the most money per car that Porsche ever made!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
From most of the reviews and tests comparing the GT and the Enzo, the GT has been equal to or or greater than in performance to the Enzo.

So why is the Enzo maintaining such demand at such a high price and the GT is not??
Ferrari has much more brand prestige than lowly Porsche. And in my experience, Ferrari buyers want image more than anything.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I was speaking with a Porsche dealer a couple of days ago regarding the sales plight of the CGT. The response was Porsche made their money and the dealers were left holding the bag. Many lost money and most will not get entrapped again should Porsche try to sell a "supercar" in the future. Apparently it has created a point of friction between Porsche and its dealers.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:30 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Makes sense,
If Porsche got about $400,000 for each of 1250 cars (give or take), they got $500,000,000 in revenue to offset development and manufacture costs. If you presume each car gets built for about half that sales price (much less for the mass produced Cayenne which I understand costs no more than $26,000 made in Brataslava), that leaves $250mm for development. Seems a little thin (based on figures generally quoted for a new model) but possible. Since they had a sunk cost in the racer platform, they had a running start. Has Porsche published their development cost? AS
Old 03-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Makes sense,
If Porsche got about $400,000 for each of 1250 cars (give or take), they got $500,000,000 in revenue to offset development and manufacture costs. If you presume each car gets built for about half that sales price (much less for the mass produced Cayenne which I understand costs no more than $26,000 made in Brataslava), that leaves $250mm for development. Seems a little thin (based on figures generally quoted for a new model) but possible. Since they had a sunk cost in the racer platform, they had a running start. Has Porsche published their development cost? AS
The fact that Porsche quoted an initial price of $350,000 and then raised it by a $100,000 should tell you all you need to know.

If Porsche is a company truly interested in valued customer relationships, given what has happened to CGT prices, it should extend the warranty on the CGT for another two years and an additional 20,000 miles. It is the least they should do for the owners and it would help stablize the price of the car.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I was speaking with a Porsche dealer a couple of days ago regarding the sales plight of the CGT. The response was Porsche made their money and the dealers were left holding the bag. Many lost money and most will not get entrapped again should Porsche try to sell a "supercar" in the future. Apparently it has created a point of friction between Porsche and its dealers.
Actually Nick, it's just a little different.

The original price was $375K and US quantity was 500 cars.

Now to the second part about Dealer/Porsche friction:

It was the Dealers through their greed that killed the car, they wouldn't take deposits from real customers, but created their own lists and provided their own deposits. This caused interested buyers to look elsewhere, made it look like inflated demand (and further increased the Dealer greed), and subsequently drove up the production numbers. The Dealers were telling Porsche that they had real buyers for the deposits. Example, when one dealer wouldn't take my deposit, and I went to try somewhere else, I was considered as two buyers.

With regard to the price increase, Porsche when they increased it from $375K to $448K, compounded the problem based upon false information, they should have know better. If they had stuck to 500 cars and the original price the car would have been a rip roaring success.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Colm if i recall Porsche only gave an estimated price and it was in the mid-300,000's. Additional they wanted a signed deposit contract from a customer before processing the order. When initially there was interest in the car, Porsche jacked the price up and relaxed their deposit requirements. This enabled the dealers to speculate but they were not told how many were to be built. Also, Porsche used incentives for the dealers to commit to allocations of the CGT.

Bottom line greed did both of them in. Porsche may have made money but its image has be tarnished not only with the public but many buyers. Dealers lost money and learned a hard lesson.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope,

Initially the estimated price was $375K, and the quantity was 500 for the US. Early on, relaxed deposits were OK, that's when the Dealers got cute and tried to manipulate the Factory and the Customers, by putting up their own money.

Then it went to signed deposit contracts, after the price increase and volume increase (dealer volume inspired! (and feared by Porsche!)), and non-refundable deposits entered the picture, further upping the ante for interested parties.

The Dealers, as a group, did it to themselves...and now they try to cry to anyone who will listen.

Oh, the heady days of the .bomb!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I agree with Colm dealers caused this problem if there is one?

I am not sure from a consumer standpoint if I am so unhappy that I was able to buy a new CGT at or below dealer cost?

After speaking to Ben and other CGT owners and going for a test drive in a CGT I knew I had to have one. It is probably the only new Porsche that I will be able to buy and subsequently be the original owner of at or below dealer cost?

Colm who was intially on the CGT buyer list was I think able to get his deposit back and if he intends to purchase a CGT on the secondary market will get it substantially below what he was going to originally pay for the same car. And I don't know if that's such a terrible problem? For driving enthusiasts the CGT will be an outstanding performance value as the CGT goes through it's depreciation cycle in the next few years.

For those who purchased early and paid MSRP the current value's are a concern if they intend to sell the car in the near future. However most every new car purchased brand new and sold in the next few years results in a substantial loss. However if the 1994 turbo S and 1997 Turbo S are a value guide within ten years the CGT will have recovered it's intial value.

So history and the very positive word of mouth being spread by people who actually own a CGT will I think be kind to the CGT. Being able to buy a 448K car with a few miles on it for about 325K is not so terrible for those prospective patient buyers in my humble opinion
Old 03-26-2006, 11:13 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If only I knew my own mind, I'm back and forth on this car like a yo-yo!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:21 PM
jay72
Racer

About what is dealer cost on CGT's?

Sloane
Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Rasta
Racer

That being said, I know of at least two '05 cars with sub-500 miles being sold for the upper 3's.

If you deal with the fact that an *** besides yours has touched the seat, this is the way I would go.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

I know of a NEW 05 that sold for $360K - $365K. There was no deposit forfeited either. They really took a beating on that car. I wish I could have bought it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:36 AM
jay72
Racer

How many are CGT's are dealers sitting with? There is a dealership here in S. Florida who has three of them and they are not moving much off of the price. They claim the "weaker" dealers are moving them at substantial discounts but they are in a financial position to hold them and get their price. I made them an offer in January of $380,000 and they turned it down and said the bottom is $440,000. I went to see them again and there position has not changed.

I would think that the longer they hold them the harder it will be to get top dollar for them as anybody in the market for a CGT would know that by now there are deals on them.

Jay
1979 930
1989 930S cab
2004 West Coast Chopper El Diablo II

Last edited by jay72; 04-06-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jay72
I would think that the longer they hold them the harder it will be to get top dollar for them as anybody in the market for a CGT would know that by now there are deals on them.
Why?

Once the supply of new Carrera GTs is narrowed to the dealers who won't discount, the only sales possible will be at MSRP.

If the buyers who hold out for discounts are not 100% of buyers, then they will hold out forever and not purchase a car.

The market can only absorb so many really expensive cars in a given period of time. As the days go by, new buyers trickle into the market and as the supply gradually goes down, the market comes into balance.

Feel lucky?

Well, do ya?

Quick Reply: Carrera GT's into secondary market?