Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake servo failure indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:28 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Default brake servo failure indicator

a friend of mine with a cgt wanted me to check this out for him with other owners.
i saw the previous thread about it but it was not real clear as to when the light coming on and going off was "considered normal".
he acts like his only comes on if he hasnt driven the car for a few days.
this cgt was also only delivered 6 mos. ago. long after porsche would have known about the issue.
when is the light coming on "normal" and when is the light coming on an indicator of failure?
when is the light going off "normal"

i also noticed on this thread that it was normal for the passenger window not to have one touch up control? but appearently the driver side does?

he also has a steep drive way and has to back the car down the drive at an angle. i guess there is no way around this type of thing but wonder if anyone has come up with some way to make it less time consuming.
he is used to the cars that have the raise control.

since he has the time consuming back into the driveway, when he is in residence and driving the car regularly, he parks it on the street (safe area) but this is also where his only problem with the clutch comes into play. he has to parallel park in reverse up hill while not slipping the clutch or scraping the wheels.

he has extensive supercar experience but finds the cgt the toughest for this type of parallel parking maneuver and has to do it to avert the steep driveway problem. he was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

thanks
Old 03-08-2006 | 11:28 PM
DMin
Instructor

Jeff

1) the Brake Servo message happened almost every time I started my CGT. It goes away after about 20-30 seconds. It is "normal" and not of any concern. If it doesn't turn itself off or if it turns on while driving, then it probably needs to be checked out.

2) For whatever reason, the CGT window controls has 1-touch down controls for both driver and passenger, but only the driver has 1-touch up control.

3) If he is trying low speed maneuvering in reverse, I'd suggest he use the Porsche approved method of letting out the clutch with no throttle to allow the computer to adjust the throttle response itself. I never really used that technique in regular driving, but would often employ it while parking.

D.Min
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:14 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMin
Jeff

1) the Brake Servo message happened almost every time I started my CGT. It goes away after about 20-30 seconds. It is "normal" and not of any concern. If it doesn't turn itself off or if it turns on while driving, then it probably needs to be checked out.

2) For whatever reason, the CGT window controls has 1-touch down controls for both driver and passenger, but only the driver has 1-touch up control.

3) If he is trying low speed maneuvering in reverse, I'd suggest he use the Porsche approved method of letting out the clutch with no throttle to allow the computer to adjust the throttle response itself. I never really used that technique in regular driving, but would often employ it while parking.

D.Min
Yeah,

What he said.
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:54 PM
ha
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMin
Jeff

D.Min
Agree with every word you said... Let me just add 1 more thing to point (2)..
The 1-touch up control is for safety reason. If the passenger has their head/hands out the window its more safe to have your finger on the window switch while its being raised.
Old 03-10-2006 | 04:55 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Recently dropped off cgt at the shop for track day prep. On the way there noticed that the brake servo light was on continuously and this time it didn't go out. Shop reported back that the pads were about half worn and brake fluid/pressure wasn't registering the level it should have. Made decision to replace the pads anyway and the light is now off.

Quick Reply: brake servo failure indicator